Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Recommended sheeting string?  (Read 3416 times)

pjwright

• Shipmate
Recommended sheeting string?
« on: April 04, 2012, 12:35:27 am »

Hey, guys - what's the preferred material for main and jib sheets with a sail winch?  I think I need something both slippery and supple so that as the winch unspools in light air the sails will pull the line rather than it bunching up in the winch housing.  Re-rigging a Chinese one-meter RTS kit.  I have a bit of 80# Spectra - but it feels too stiff.  A closed-loop system would solve my problem ... but virtually impossible to mount the two loop pulleys in one of these things.
Thanks!
 :-)
PJ

andrewh

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Recommended sheeting string?
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2012, 08:01:43 am »

PJ,

The necessary characteristics are strong, low friction and "soft"
Spectra is strong, but not a flexible material to wind onto drums
I use kite string (polyester) on footys, but there are lots of braided lines available in fishing shops which are ideal.  I have also found a braided, soft line in a jewellery hobby place which is braided XLPE (same material as Spectra) but very flexible (but a brute to tie or join)

let me know if a meter or two would help you
andrew

malcolmfrary

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2012, 09:56:08 am »

Venetian blind cord ticks the boxes pretty well.  Bends easily, low surface friction, virtually non stretch, available in various weights, and depending on where you find it, a range of colours.
"With the right tool, you can break anything" - Garfield

Popeye

• Full Mayhemer
  • I see no ships!
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2012, 10:31:53 am »

I use braided Dacron supplied by Graham Bantock (Google Sails etc). It's available in 0.7mm, 1.0mm and 1.2mm sizes.It's soft and supple yet VERY STRONG and is the ideal sheeting line - Bantock knows what he's selling, he was one time World model yachting champion and is still a leading racing yacht designer.

http://www.sailsetc.com/
Confucius he say, 'if all else fails.......reach for the  Red Top-Stop'.

tigertiger

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2012, 09:20:08 am »

I use braided Dacron supplied by Graham Bantock (Google Sails etc). It's available in 0.7mm, 1.0mm and 1.2mm sizes.It's soft and supple yet VERY STRONG and is the ideal sheeting line - Bantock knows what he's selling, he was one time World model yachting champion and is still a leading racing yacht designer.

http://www.sailsetc.com/

Same here. Dacron on all my boats (incl a one meter). I use the 25kg for the running rigging, and 50-60 kg for standing rigging.
Whatever you use, make sure it is not stretchy, especially if you are going to use it for standing rigging.
The only stupid question is the one I didn't ask
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.09 seconds with 22 queries.