Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Bismarck  (Read 18513 times)

Bryan Young

• Full Mayhemer
Bismarck
« on: April 07, 2007, 07:01:28 pm »

Another monster from Tynemouth. "Bismarck" at 1:96 (over 8' long). If you want more pictures then just ask.
Notes from a simple seaman

J.beazley

• Full Mayhemer
  • The building never ends
Re: Bismarck
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2007, 08:09:05 pm »

PLEASE  ;D Bryan get some more pictures up for me  ;D

one day i shall build a bismarck in a large scale hopeing for 1/72nd scale but we shall see.

Jay
1:48th scale for my ships. Large enough to show gratuitous detail, small enough to stay married.

Bryan Young

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2007, 10:04:10 pm »

I shall have to get the permission of the builder first....but I am sure it will happen. Watch this space. BY

gary r uk

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2007, 10:20:53 pm »

Hi youg bryan
wow yes please as many as you can
gary rowe
SAILING WITHOUT FAST ELECTRICS PRICELESS

Bunkerbarge

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2007, 11:58:19 pm »

I have always considered the Bismarck to be one of the most visualy appealling and technologically interesting vessels of all time.

Please post as many pictures as you can.  Is this the model I have seen at shows recently, the last being at Doncaster, making quite substantial amounts of noise from a sound unit and doing something in the region of about 60 scale knots!! ;)
"Dirty British coaster with a salt-caked smoke stack, Butting through the Channel in the mad March days"

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2007, 11:47:12 am »

There seem to be mixed views on the technology built into Bismarck. I have read that constructionally she was essentially a scaled up WW1 Baden design. Along with most German capital ships, her wide beam and extensive compartmentation enabled her to absorb a great deal of punishment but apparently a lot of the communications and electrical gear was carried above the main armour deck and was vulnerable to shellfire. She was also old fashioned in carrying a mixed secondary armament of 5.9 guns for surface action and 4.1 for anti aircraft use. Contemporary British and US designs had a more modern dual purpose secondary armament. She was certainly an impressive looking vessl though. Another interesting thing about German WW2 ships was that there seemed to be a propensity for the stern to break off, a weak design point it would appear.

Bryan Young

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2007, 08:18:43 pm »

I have always considered the Bismarck to be one of the most visualy appealling and technologically interesting vessels of all time.

Please post as many pictures as you can.  Is this the model I have seen at shows recently, the last being at Doncaster, making quite substantial amounts of noise from a sound unit and doing something in the region of about 60 scale knots!! ;)
I very much doubt it as it had its maiden voyage only last wednesday. More on this model later. BY

Shipmate60

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
  • You bark - I will bite!!!
« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2007, 04:40:09 pm »

The stern was a notoriously bad weak point.
John Ballard found the stern section nearly a mile from the main wreck.
The Hipper class had the same stern build an had almost an RSJ welded each side inside the steering compartment foreward.
Bit like the Type 21 Frigates but that was welded externally.

Bob
Officially a GOG.

Bryan Young

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2007, 04:41:18 pm »

The model was built by M.Doogan of TMBC. It is really a 2 person job to carry it. Should appear at the Harrogate show in May.

Bryan Young

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2007, 05:19:59 pm »

These are the last 3 in this series. I could post some closer in sections of the photos already shown. This would depend on the reaction to the already posted ones, but I am reluctant to do so without any requests as I am not sure that I wish to be accused of hi-jacking the column again.

gary r uk

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: April 09, 2007, 05:26:58 pm »

Hi Bryan
You post away until your harts content if its grey i want to see it and as all your pictures are fantastic anyway you hi jack away my friend.
cheers
gary r
SAILING WITHOUT FAST ELECTRICS PRICELESS

Holmsey

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #11 on: April 09, 2007, 05:29:51 pm »

Bryan
No one can accuse you of hyjacking a thread when you started it!!!
Those photos are superb. What we want to see on the forum is photos of models and descriptions and experiances. What we don't want is the silly sniping that sometimes occurs. There is enough space for everyone and for me a photo of a model ship beats some of the rubbish posted elsewere.

Keep them coming!!!!

Holmsey

J.beazley

• Full Mayhemer
  • The building never ends
« Reply #12 on: April 09, 2007, 05:36:22 pm »

Very rightly said aswell Holmsey, Brian you keep them pictures coming of Bismarck as its giving me the motivation to build one myself.

Jay
1:48th scale for my ships. Large enough to show gratuitous detail, small enough to stay married.

hiapita

« Reply #13 on: April 09, 2007, 09:58:35 pm »

What a lovely model, when I finish my Ark Royal it would be nice to see the two models together (if I can get dad to drive me!) and I could try to disable her rudders!!! LOL.

Hannah.

Bryan Young

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #14 on: April 10, 2007, 06:19:56 pm »

Hello Hannah. It would be wonderful if you could persuade your dad to drive you and "the ARK" to Tynemouth. Watching your progress is fascinating...and even educational!
The conflict could be interesting as not only do we have "Bismarck" but in the next few weeks we will also have "Tirpitz" at the same scale. (all 1:96 = nearly 100" long). However, we already have "Nelson" but nearly finished is "Rodney" at the same scale. Quite a battle looming up, eh?. Somewhat differently, we also have a 1:96 model of the "Ark"....but it is of the "new" one. (A pic of this will be on Mayhem soon). When and if you come to Tynemouth you have permission NOT to wear your dust mask! (maybe you should, as that is how we are all going to recognize you if you take Dicky-Ds VERY sensible advice.
Keep on going with the sanding down and look forward to doing "the interesting bits" later. One little bit of advice....do not get "ahead of yourself" while building. Concentrate on the bit you are doing and when that is done, move on. Regards. B.Young.

Bryan Young

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #15 on: April 13, 2007, 02:28:44 pm »

After failing miserably to get Steve Pickerings torpedo boat posted I thought I would attempt some closer in shots of Bismarck. These are just sections of larger ones already posted...but the definition is better.
The turrets all turn and the barrels elevate....they actually fire as well. Fortunately only blanks, but I am quite sure (positive, in fact) that "The Doogan" would love to fire live shells. All of the following posts (6, I hope) were taken on "initial" launch day....Hitlers birthday ('nuff said) and for some reason I did'nt take any shots of the internal workings. Just as impressive as the exterior I can assure you. So that will be my next task. Watch this space!

Bryan Young

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #16 on: April 13, 2007, 02:33:24 pm »

Do you really have to put writing in or can I go direct to the pictures? Sorry for all the Bryan Young entries.

Bryan Young

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #17 on: April 13, 2007, 02:41:45 pm »

no words left

Bryan Young

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #18 on: April 13, 2007, 02:52:35 pm »

last 3 coming up until I do the interior.
Please, I can hear the sighs of relief already.

Bryan Young

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #19 on: April 13, 2007, 02:53:53 pm »

a word to fill the space.

Bryan Young

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #20 on: April 13, 2007, 02:54:58 pm »

Last one...promise.

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #21 on: April 13, 2007, 02:58:25 pm »

Wouldn't it have been easier to put them all on the one thread Bryan?

Bryan Young

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #22 on: April 13, 2007, 03:29:24 pm »

You are probably right. I did try but as each one is large "those who control us" kept on chucking them back at me, and I felt that the model deserved the best definition I could post on the site. I really hope I have'nt offended anyone, again. BY

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #23 on: April 13, 2007, 04:38:06 pm »

No question of offending Bryan. They are great pictures of a superb model and I'm sure everyone enjoys looking at them. It's just that the only point in posting "big" pictures greater than the average PC screen resolution is to allow people to download them and apply magnification. The majority of us will be happy just to view them on screen. I find that one way to satisfy everyone and keep the load on the server down is to post the smaller ones on the Net and offer to email bigger versions to anyone who is particularly interested. Just a suggestion!  ;)

Bryan Young

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #24 on: April 13, 2007, 04:43:57 pm »

Point taken Colin, now I need to go off on another learning curve! Rats!
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up

Page created in 0.098 seconds with 22 queries.