Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Bismarck  (Read 18521 times)

riggers24

• Full Mayhemer
  • Just full of stupid questions
Re: Bismarck
« Reply #25 on: April 13, 2007, 05:00:57 pm »

Using the microsoft powertool " picture resizer" which is free, is the easiest way to resize the photos and you can add them to the same thread.

Is the model going to Harrogate this year, as last year I had some disgruntled members from a different club who had made the trip specially as the builder had told them it would be there
I will finish the crash tender someday - Still got tooo many toys to play with

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #26 on: April 13, 2007, 06:46:51 pm »

All photos merged....
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

Bryan Young

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #27 on: April 13, 2007, 07:59:02 pm »

Using the microsoft powertool " picture resizer" which is free, is the easiest way to resize the photos and you can add them to the same thread.

Is the model going to Harrogate this year, as last year I had some disgruntled members from a different club who had made the trip specially as the builder had told them it would be there
I really thought that I had answered that one! But it did'nt come up. I am beginning to think I need a six-year-old to sit at my elbow.....but of course that would'nt be allowed now without a team of "minders" with him/her.
The Doogans Bismarck will be at Harrogate this year even if Brian-c has to re-load his well used shotgun. The Doogan (as I am myself) is of the shy and retiring persuasion, and he balks at putting Bismarck into the "competition" class. I have mixed feelings on this as his Bismarck will undoubtedly beat my entry of "Baroda". Deservedly so. So, perhaps(?) I may come home again with yet another "silver". I really should try harder!
Notes from a simple seaman

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #28 on: April 13, 2007, 08:03:19 pm »

Cheer up Bryan. With any luck the judges will overlook your model entirely and so not place stress on your shy and retiring disposition.  ;)

Bryan Young

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #29 on: April 13, 2007, 08:31:30 pm »

Cheer up Bryan. With any luck the judges will overlook your model entirely and so not place stress on your shy and retiring disposition.  ;)
Using the well known naval phrase "Foxtrot Oscar" I look foward to crossing swords again! Cheers. BY

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #30 on: April 13, 2007, 08:40:38 pm »

Clever Bryan, sneeked one past the word censor....  :P
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #31 on: April 13, 2007, 08:56:13 pm »

No Martin, I think it stands for "Faultless Objectivity"  ;D

riggers24

• Full Mayhemer
  • Just full of stupid questions
« Reply #32 on: April 13, 2007, 09:35:49 pm »

I really thought that I had answered that one! But it did'nt come up. I am beginning to think I need a six-year-old to sit at my elbow.....but of course that would'nt be allowed now without a team of "minders" with him/her.

If bluebird and Brian C can work it why can't you
I will finish the crash tender someday - Still got tooo many toys to play with

gary r uk

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #33 on: April 14, 2007, 11:06:39 am »

Hi Bryan
Fantastic mate you post away i look forward to all your picture posts please keep them coming
cheers
gary r
SAILING WITHOUT FAST ELECTRICS PRICELESS

Bryan Young

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #34 on: April 14, 2007, 11:10:37 pm »

If bluebird and Brian C can work it why can't you
That puzzles me as well. Maybe I should just learn to point and shoot and to hell with the consequences!

hiapita

« Reply #35 on: April 27, 2007, 08:22:11 am »

Hi bryan, I  Love the extra pictures you posted that is one fantastic model. My dad said he will drive me up to Tynemouth when my Ark Royal is finished although he said it will be a 5 hour drive as we live over 300 miles away in Newport South Wales!!!!!!
Keep the pics coming we both love looking at them!!

Hannah.

Brian_C

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #36 on: April 28, 2007, 10:18:03 am »

bismark & nelson will be sailing on tynemouth water tomorrow, i will try and get some pi cs posted on sunday night ;) ;) ;) :D  let the battle commence ;D ;D ;D ;)

Bunkerbarge

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #37 on: April 28, 2007, 10:49:18 am »

Bryan, superb pictures of one of my all time favorite vessels.  A great shame I won't be at Harrogate this year to see it for myself.
"Dirty British coaster with a salt-caked smoke stack, Butting through the Channel in the mad March days"

Bryan Young

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #38 on: April 30, 2007, 07:22:13 pm »

There seem to be mixed views on the technology built into Bismarck. I have read that constructionally she was essentially a scaled up WW1 Baden design. Along with most German capital ships, her wide beam and extensive compartmentation enabled her to absorb a great deal of punishment but apparently a lot of the communications and electrical gear was carried above the main armour deck and was vulnerable to shellfire. She was also old fashioned in carrying a mixed secondary armament of 5.9 guns for surface action and 4.1 for anti aircraft use. Contemporary British and US designs had a more modern dual purpose secondary armament. She was certainly an impressive looking vessl though. Another interesting thing about German WW2 ships was that there seemed to be a propensity for the stern to break off, a weak design point it would appear.
Hi, Colin. I meant to reply to you earlier...but I forgot. One thing I have always noted about the German (built) naval vessels is how "wet" they are. The decks are constantly awash because of (possibly) the hull design and their love of low freeboards. Makes for interesting times during a roughish replenishment!
Although "Nelson" and "Rodney" must be the ugliest Battleships ever inflicted upon a Navy, at least they looked like Battleships. Watching "Bismarck" yesterday at a distance it was very easy to imagine her as a large destroyer. Before the days of radar etc. and "Mk.1 eyeball" ruled the roost this aspect could materially affect any future outcome. I believe that Capt. Langsdorf had a similar thought during the River Plate business.

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #39 on: April 30, 2007, 08:44:45 pm »

Hi Bryan,

The Germans designed many of their larger ships to look similar intentionally. The Hipper class cruisers, Scharnhorst and Gneisenau and Bismark and Tirpitz all had broadly similar profiles which would have made them difficult to distinguish at sea. It certainly initially fooled the British during the Hood engagement. The projected ships continued this trend. Not only the German ships were wet though. The King George V class were also notorious for this due to an insistence by the Admiralty that the forward turrets be able to fire dead ahead at zero elevation. The Vanguard was built with a good sheer and flared bow and was a much better seaboat being able to maintain speed in bad conditions better than a US Iowa class in post war exercises.

Nelson and  Rodney were actually very sophisticated designs for their time and quite successful once they got the bugs out of the main armament. However the moderate speed and tricky handling at low speed counted against them. One of them went aground off the entrance to Portsmouth harbour due to poor steering response. They certainly looked like battleships though!

Brian_C

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #40 on: April 30, 2007, 09:10:37 pm »

One of them went aground off the entrance to Portsmouth harbour due to poor steering response. They certainly looked like battleships though,            hi colin ive got that picture of nelson aground in portsmouth and was out of action for months after grounding in 1934    tried to post it but wont let me  ???

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #41 on: April 30, 2007, 09:19:28 pm »

I think it was on the Hamilton Bank which is just west of Portsmouth entrance. It's very shallow, even yachts can get caught out. I hadn't realised that Nelson was seriously damaged though - did it strain the hull?

Brian_C

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #42 on: April 30, 2007, 09:25:12 pm »

The book states that she  was drydocked and hull plates had to be replaced

I think it was on the Hamilton Bank which is just west of Portsmouth entrance. It's very shallow, even yachts can get caught out. I hadn't realised that Nelson was seriously damaged though - did it strain the hull?   

Bryan Young

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #43 on: April 30, 2007, 10:59:57 pm »

One of them went aground off the entrance to Portsmouth harbour due to poor steering response. They certainly looked like battleships though,            hi colin ive got that picture of nelson aground in portsmouth and was out of action for months after grounding in 1934    tried to post it but wont let me  ???
Ha.Ha.Ha. After your comments to me on Sunday I'm delighted to see you on the wrong end!!!!

Bunkerbarge

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #44 on: May 01, 2007, 04:32:25 pm »

Actually the very low freeboard at the aft end of the Hood was notorious for spending a lot of it's time below water so this is quite a common effect partly driven by the desire to maintain as low a profile as can be achieved with such a vessel.

It is well recorded that in the action between the Bismarck and the Hood the Bismarck and the Prinz Eugen had changed places and the British opened fire on the Prinz Eugen first thinking it was the Bismarck.  Although German accounts are dismissive of this looking at the two together and not knowing which is the closer it would be a very easy mistake to make particularly with the Bismark sporting her Dark Grey bow and stern camoflage, designed to make her look shorter.

I don't think you will find many people who think the Rodney and the Nelson were good looking ships but there are quite a few, myself included, that think the Bismarck had a beautiful line to her.  As to which was the most effective I still maintain that was down to the standard of training of the crew as much as technical considerations.  Having read a couple of books only recently that described the training methods of the Royal Navy at this time and the Kreigsmarine I have to say the German training was a long way ahead of ours.

The Royal Navy approach of beating it into the men may have been effective for known situations but during the heat of a battle the German training of developing initiative and self sufficiency has to be a better way of dealing with the unknown.   
"Dirty British coaster with a salt-caked smoke stack, Butting through the Channel in the mad March days"

Tim S

« Reply #45 on: May 04, 2007, 12:27:51 am »

Hello, Im new to this forum.I just had to say thanks for the beautiful pics of the Bismarck.I have a r/c 1/144th scale Bismarck that I was going to talk about,but after seeing these pictures,I think not. :)

tigertiger

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #46 on: May 04, 2007, 02:11:39 am »

Hello, Im new to this forum.I just had to say thanks for the beautiful pics of the Bismarck.I have a r/c 1/144th scale Bismarck that I was going to talk about,but after seeing these pictures,I think not. :)

Don't worry about posting. People will be interested.

There are many levels of modellers on here.
Some of the folks up at Tynemouth are very experienced scale modellers.
There are a lot of who are not at that level yet, nor will we ever be, and some of us don't want to be.

I belong to the later group, I am less worried about detail and enjoy making things that float and people saying 'beautiful boat' when they see her sailing. Each model I build will be a bit more of a challenge than my last. Intermediate models are more of an inspiration to me because I think to myself, I could do that, and then I have a go, or at least copy some of the detail.
The only stupid question is the one I didn't ask

Marks Model Bits

• No Mustang Mark
  • Full Mayhemer
  • http://marksmodelbits.com/
    • Marks Model Bits
« Reply #47 on: May 04, 2007, 07:56:58 am »

hi Tim tt is right my daughter Hannah  had the same thought about her first model and she didn't want to put any pictures up i eventually persuaded her that no one would be horrible and say anything unkind. she posted her pics and blog on the forum and now she is always on here and she is rightly very proud of her achievements although she was a bit embarrassed with her springer tug she built ( bottom left pic on the home page) so post some pics up of your model we would love to see them.

mark
I HAVE NOT FAILED, I HAVE FOUND 1000 WAYS THAT DON'T WORK.!!!!

http://marksmodelbits.com/

tigertiger

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #48 on: May 04, 2007, 09:36:08 am »

Hi (no)Mustang

I like Hannah's Springer.

It makes me smile every time I see it.
Some people take this hobby too seriously. Things like Hannah's Springer are the antidote.
The only stupid question is the one I didn't ask

Bunkerbarge

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #49 on: May 04, 2007, 05:46:51 pm »

Some of the folks up at Tynemouth are very experienced scale modellers.

Lets face it there's not much else to do up there!! :D ;)
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up

Page created in 0.099 seconds with 22 queries.