Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: HMS Plymouth  (Read 2809 times)

Liverbudgie2

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
HMS Plymouth
« on: March 12, 2012, 10:52:26 pm »

It is reported this evening that HMS Plymouth has been sold to Turkish shipbreakers.

LB.

pugwash

Re: HMS Plymouth
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2012, 11:32:16 pm »

Where did you hear this LB as there is nothing on the Plymouth Association Website yet? Hopefully it isn't true

Geoff

Liverbudgie2

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2012, 11:43:35 am »

It came from the shipspotting forum and post posted by a person I know quite well and therefore have no reason to dispute it.

I've also just spoken to another person who was involved with the preservation group at Birkenhead, he says that this ties in with other things that he has been told i.e. that Turkish shipbreakers have been showing an interest in the ship.

I should also point out that there are still a great many artefacts on board, including personal items donated to the project including the Wasp helicopter.

LB

pugwash

• Full Mayhemer
  • Location: recently left Amble and now in the wet Northumberland hills
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2012, 06:13:17 pm »

Unfortunately the rumour mill was correct - just heard that it is going for scrap unless an berth can be found almost immediately,
and that isn't going to happen.  According to the Association website, Plymouth Council who could not offer her a berth and wanted
nothing to do with her are now sniffing round looking for any artefacts they can get from the ship.
Geoff
Failing to prepare means preparing to fail.

pettyofficernick

• Full Mayhemer
  • Marineville will be destroyed, Muahahaha.....
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2012, 07:45:51 pm »

Yes, I'm afraid its true, very sad indeed, I spent some great days on and around The Plymouth, Wallasey Sea Cadet unit used to keep their 2 Vikings moored under her bows and we used the 'Plym' as a base for our weekend powerboat courses. They also had a cracking little cafe on board ( in the JR's mess), the people who ran the ship were a great bunch, allways willing to let the cadets look around the ship, what a waste. :(( :(( >:-o >:-o

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/liverpool-news/local-news/2012/04/04/falklands-war-ship-hms-plymouth-to-be-scrapped-on-30th-anniversary-of-conflict-100252-30688481/#sitelife-commentsWidget-bottom
What I do is best not discussed, for I have been many things in my time....

Richtea

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2012, 08:56:54 pm »

Have read a similar posting on World Naval Ships Forum.
It had a link to a site that confirms the bad news.
Regards
Richard  :((
SI VIS PACEM,
PARA BELLUM

dave301bounty

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2012, 04:44:34 pm »

There is a very sad thing about this ,the price that who/ever sells her for scrap is more than ever ,so its cash more important again, thats the way it is .but if some one got together a huge petition and said no ,,it seems that the company who is buying up all the land  they dont care a hoot about history nor anything which does not make money that is the way ,no getting away from that ,sorry state to leave things for the next generation who may be interested .sad ,its trying to happen over here in the Docklands ,all sorts of promises ,but in the end ,greed ,and greed incorporated.

kinmel

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2012, 05:35:58 pm »

There is a very sad thing about this ,the price that who/ever sells her for scrap is more than ever ,so its cash more important again, thats the way it is .but if some one got together a huge petition and said no ,,it seems that the company who is buying up all the land  they dont care a hoot about history nor anything which does not make money that is the way ,no getting away from that ,sorry state to leave things for the next generation who may be interested .sad ,its trying to happen over here in the Docklands ,all sorts of promises ,but in the end ,greed ,and greed incorporated.

It is NOT about money. Peel Holdings have offered the ship, free of charge, to any organisation that can berth it, maintain it and keep it on public display. 

They have not had one genuine enquiry in 2 years and the ship is deteriorating rapidly and Peel Holdings need to clear the Birkenhead dock system to enable the regeneration scheme to start.

They have happily provided a free berth for the ship since it was abandoned in the docks when it's then owner went bankrupt, but now they need the space and have nowhere else suitable to keep it.

pettyofficernick

• Full Mayhemer
  • Marineville will be destroyed, Muahahaha.....
« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2012, 12:50:48 am »

The Historic Warships Museum did not go 'bankrupt', nor did they abandon the ship, Peel Holdings threw them out because they wanted to turn the old Spillers silos into grossly overpriced apartments, in order to make them pots of cash. The only reason They tried to give the ship away was so it would not cost them anything. Peel Holdings only cares about Peel Holdings, and their 'regeneration' scheme will only benefit the Chinese and Peel Holdings, and not the people of Wirral/ >>:-( >>:-(
What I do is best not discussed, for I have been many things in my time....

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2012, 09:03:42 am »

It is NOT about money. Peel Holdings have offered the ship, free of charge, to any organisation that can berth it, maintain it and keep it on public display. 

I am not familiar with the ins and outs of this particular situation but when it comes to preserving ANY ship the acquisition costs are negligible compared with the  ongoing preservation costs and that is where the great majority of preservation schemes ultimately fail, the ship simply cannot generate enough income to cover its costs and external funding, public or otherwise, is almost never available.

Colin

Liverbudgie2

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2012, 11:46:50 am »

The only reason They tried to give the ship away was so it would not cost them anything. Peel Holdings only cares about Peel Holdings, and their 'regeneration' scheme will only benefit the Chinese and Peel Holdings, and not the people of Wirral/ >>:-( >>:-(

How do you work that out, do you want the docks and the area in general to remain derelict for the next fifty years as well? At least they are doing SOMETHING to bring employment and business opportunities to the area and thereby generate INCOME for the local people and the area in general. Get you head out of the sand and look forward and not backwards.

LB (also a former member of Wallasey SCC)

kinmel

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2012, 03:09:09 pm »

The Historic Warships Museum did not go 'bankrupt', nor did they abandon the ship, Peel Holdings threw them out because they wanted to turn the old Spillers silos into grossly overpriced apartments, in order to make them pots of cash.

The Historic Warships Museum closed to the public on Sunday February 5 2006, after the trust that ran it announced it's voluntary liquidation after the Museum's existing berth was required by it's owners, Peel Holdings. The Museum had no ongoing lease on the berths.

Ex-staff from the Museum immediately formed a campaign group to try to keep the ships together in Merseyside, as Andy Mahon, who was deputy manager of the trust, explained at the time:- “Our first major hurdle is finding a financial backer for the trust. The second is finding a permanent berth for the collection and the third is financing some major refurbishments to the collection.”

U534 was eventually taken over by Wirral Council, cut into 3 pieces and is now a tourist attraction at Woodside, but the campaign's enormous efforts regarding HMS Plymouth etc came to nothing and both were then simply left unowned and unmaintained.  

The Birkenhead docks system is a derelict eyesore that is in need of urgent development of new uses and the abandoned warships are in the way.

dave301bounty

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #12 on: April 06, 2012, 06:12:52 pm »

So you too were a member of the Wallasey scc ,L B , me as well ,thing is ,the birkenhead dks had an interested plan to make a holiday type sailing area ,similar to the place over here at the south end ,but the idea that some one wants to provide a play type arena for the people ,,,well that was thrown out ,some years ago ,,about the same time as that u boat was brought onto land .now that was an attraction ,now its scrap , so the average intelligent person dosent have a great problem in working out ,peel want only a site that will generate vast ammounts of the cash ,so they can get vast ammounts back from the singapore /hongkong developers when the time is right .  this lot about renewal goes very deep ,and goes back to when the last big ship sailed out ,,no money in shipping but plenty in property ,its very obvious ,peel want to look generous ,they need to look the part ,but underneath ,,...???
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.107 seconds with 22 queries.