Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: charged lipo for storing  (Read 2313 times)

MikeA

charged lipo for storing
« on: October 01, 2011, 08:16:16 am »

as usual after ive come in from the boating lakes ive gone and put my batteries on charge. But yesterday was the first time i took my new lipo battery out and when i got back that went on charge too, but now its going to be at least a week before im back on the lake and ive just read that storing fully charged lipos is a bad idea. i have no way to discharge the lipo apart from in the boat at the lake. will it be allright for just this once?

Timo2

Re: charged lipo for storing
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2011, 08:33:47 am »

MikeA

« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2011, 08:50:57 am »

ive just read that post before i began a new thread the problem is ive ALLREADY charged it now its too late.

barriew

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2011, 09:19:14 am »

I don't think its going to go bad in a week! I have sometimes left mine fully changed for longer than a week when conditions changed between charging and sailing. I assume that by doing this we are potentially shortening their life.

Barrie

dondecap

« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2011, 09:59:18 am »

hi guys.
lipo storeage.
unless you are packing all away for a 'few months' like winter etc then 'storeage' does not come into the equation.
full for a month or so is not a problem...even longer if kept cool and dry.
but alway observe the safety rule...keep in fire proof container........lipo bag etc.
regards
don

nick_75au

« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2011, 10:02:49 am »

You will be fine for a week, but your charger should have a Li-po storage function, if its more than the storage voltage it will discharge the battery to the storage voltage ok2,
 What I normally do after a days sailing is recharge the batteries to storage voltage, then on the morning of the sail day charge them fully, it usually only takes 20 minutes or less no big deal.

Nick

MikeA

« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2011, 10:11:29 am »

ok thanks for that

barriew

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2012, 07:55:09 pm »

My charger doesn't have a discharge function, nor a charge to storage voltage, so I bought a LiPo discharger. The default discharge voltage is 3.9volts - is this the correct storage voltage?
My LiPos will be unused for quite a while this summer as I am waiting to go into hospital for a major op that is likely to see me out of action for a couple of months or more.

Barrie

Tombsy

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2012, 09:56:51 pm »

It's pretty close mine is 3.85, I kept them in the fridge and they didn't lose even 1/100th of a volt all winter.
Brian

barriew

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2012, 01:03:53 pm »

Thanks for that - I'll leave it at 3.9Volts then. Not sure about the fridge but I will try to find somewhere cool to leave them

Barrie
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.085 seconds with 22 queries.