Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: My Racing Sparrow  (Read 9045 times)

nigel3a

• Full Mayhemer
    • Cheaper for Bills
My Racing Sparrow
« on: April 07, 2012, 11:42:09 pm »

This is my first ever build of a boat. Plank on frame scratch built from plans.  Started off slowly with a few glitches, basically not knowing what I was doing. So far the progress seems to have gone pretty well.

Starting to take shape now  :-))

The stern ready to be trimmed

Let the sanding begin

Sanding done, well as good as I'm going to get it. Hull fibre glassed and coat of filler applied. Yet more sanding ! ! !

Not quite sure why these two appear to be on their side.

Well that's it for the mo. feels pretty smooth, a couple of very minor blemishes, but nothing worth worrying about. The casting of the lead weight seems a bit daunting though.

Your comments welcome good or bad.

Artistmike

• Full Mayhemer
  • North Devon
Re: My Racing Sparrow
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2012, 07:50:00 am »

Good progress so far  :-))  and if you've no experience in working with molten lead and you're worried about casting a weight, I'm sure that you're aware there are alternatives, like laminating lead flashing sheet, which are substantially safer !  O0
“We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” George Bernard Shaw    :)

Netleyned

• Full Mayhemer
    • cleethorpes mba
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2012, 08:16:50 am »

That's looking good so far Nigel.
As to the lead bulb, it is not too bad if you go by the
books instructions. The one thing that can't be stressed
too much is getting the mould 100% dry before pouring
the lead.I put mine in a low oven for a few hours and then
left it in the airing cupboard for a few days to make sure
it had completely dried out.
Just looked through Bryn's book again and it's exactly how to do it'
so read it through a few times and go for it!

Ned
Smooth seas never made skilful sailors
Up Spirits  Stand fast the Holy Ghost.
http://www.cleethorpesmba.co.uk/

Mad_Mike

• Full Mayhemer
  • Lincolnshire
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2012, 11:45:19 pm »

this boat is gonna be awesome :} keep us posted and if you can right up a tutorial on melting lead ok2

rmaddock

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2012, 10:56:37 am »

Hi Nigel,

Don't be scared of the lead.
My first boat, I made a plaster, two-part mould. Left it to dry a long time, no problems.
More recently, I used the green sand casting method. You can see the thread by CLICKING HERE.

Although I was casting a simple, one sided and internal ballast piece, you can extend this technique to some very complex shapes indeed. You can also sift the sand to get a finer finish. The big advantage is that you use the green sand fresh and damp. None of the waiting for the mould to dry business.  There are plenty of web pages out there on home casting or forging to look at and find out how to make the moulds.

Oh, and the hull's looking lovely too.  :-)) Goo luck with it all.

Robert.

slug

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2012, 08:30:25 pm »

did iread somewhere that in australia the used formica for hull planking or was that the wee nip  slug

blowdown

• Shipmate
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2012, 09:29:47 pm »

Hi, Good luck with your Racing Sparrow. I have just this weekend completed sea trials on mine on our local pond. You will have a very fast lively boat which should be trouble free. Excellent up to strong breeze but would suggest a second smaller sail rig if you intend to sail in stonger winds  as it has a tendency to submarine on the run in stronger winds. There is lots of information on the web and you can get class rules plus lots of other good stuff from www.racingsparrow.co.nz  There are some options given for casting the keel. One cold method I fancy trying is fine lead shot from your local gun shop in a resin matrix but dimensions will have to be increased depending on the fineness of the shot. This is a real fun boat and makes my 1 metre racing boat feel quiet matronly although obviously not as fast.     Cheers  blowdown.

nigel3a

• Full Mayhemer
    • Cheaper for Bills
« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2012, 12:51:49 am »

Some slight progress.  I did make a bit of a faux par with the rudder, this can be found here :- http://www.modelboatmayhem.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=36499.0

Dry fitted the rudder (now fixed) and the keel. Fair bit of sanding to do with keel yet

I'm gonna go with the laminating method for the bulb, as it's my first time. I figured that by the time I made a form, then plaster of paris, it's probably quicker anyway.

Work is now getting in the way of the build, so not much happening till the weekend  <:(

Nigel

Netleyned

• Full Mayhemer
    • cleethorpes mba
« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2012, 11:12:02 am »

Going well Nigel.
Bryn has designed a 65cm version with a longer fin and much deeper forefoot
which gives enhanced buoyancy forward and cuts down on the nose diving.
It also sails in all winds with just one rig.
The plans are available for download free on his website.
There is also a swing rig version.
I have the bulkheads cut out ready to start a build but it might have to wait to
the end of the sailing season for progress to be made.

Ned

nigel3a

• Full Mayhemer
    • Cheaper for Bills
« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2012, 12:43:14 pm »

Hi Netleyned,

Would you suggest I make the fin longer, as it's to the plans. What do you mean by a deeper forefoot, is that the bit at the front presumably.

Nigel

Netleyned

• Full Mayhemer
    • cleethorpes mba
« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2012, 01:12:09 pm »

Keep to the plans for yours Nigel

The RG65 is 10 cm shorter that the 750 and designed to the RG65 rules
The difference is that the bow sections give a fuller shape to increase the buoyancyhttp://www.racingsparrow.co.nz/docs/RacingSparrow_RG65_v1trial.pdf
Heres a link with the two hulls shown with the differences.

Ned

nigel3a

• Full Mayhemer
    • Cheaper for Bills
« Reply #11 on: April 12, 2012, 01:20:36 pm »

Hi Ned,

I see what you mean. The fin's quite a bit longer, but the bulb is half the weight

Nigel

nigel3a

• Full Mayhemer
    • Cheaper for Bills
« Reply #12 on: April 16, 2012, 10:16:01 pm »

Bit more progress. Decided on the laminating method, although had trouble sticking it together, so used resin.

Coat of filler ready for sanding back

nigel3a

• Full Mayhemer
    • Cheaper for Bills
« Reply #13 on: May 06, 2012, 09:47:36 pm »

I'm up to the stage of rigging it up. I've converted a servo to do complete revolutions, and purchased a winch drum. I've also got a long servo arm. I'm somewhat confused as to how the rigging connects to the two booms, it's not all that clear in the book. Does anyone have any photo's of how it should be. Do I rig it to run over the deck or under it?

nigel3a

• Full Mayhemer
    • Cheaper for Bills
« Reply #14 on: May 07, 2012, 08:28:49 pm »

Some slight progress. Got to the stage of rigging the sails.

I think they could do with tweaking slightly

I've kinda figured out how to do the sail arm side of it. I'm not happy with the ariel going up through the mast, so I may re-route it.

The keel is only temporary, and I've got the rudder drying out I've seen a couple of threads on here where it's attached with a bolt through the hull. I was contemplating that approach. I've got room to play in the keel box.

CF-FZG

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #15 on: May 07, 2012, 09:23:03 pm »

I'm up to the stage of rigging it up. I've converted a servo to do complete revolutions, and purchased a winch drum. I've also got a long servo arm. I'm somewhat confused as to how the rigging connects to the two booms, it's not all that clear in the book. Does anyone have any photo's of how it should be. Do I rig it to run over the deck or under it?

Nigel,

Have a look at page 53, there's a diagram at the bottom of the page.  The 2 sheets from the arm go through the deck near the arm - 1 to the main boom, the other to the jib club :-))

The other place to look is the Racing Sparrow website  loads of info and piccys and a forum too :-))

Mark.
Mark.

Tonka Toys - Big boys toys :)

nigel3a

• Full Mayhemer
    • Cheaper for Bills
« Reply #16 on: May 07, 2012, 10:07:57 pm »

Thanks for that Mark. After much contemplating, I seem to have managed it now. Although I would have liked the servo drum instead

Nigel

Mad_Mike

• Full Mayhemer
  • Lincolnshire
« Reply #17 on: May 08, 2012, 12:58:54 pm »

coming on well this boat :-))

nigel3a

• Full Mayhemer
    • Cheaper for Bills
« Reply #18 on: May 08, 2012, 03:03:11 pm »

Thanks Mike.

It seems a bit of an uphill struggle at times. I'm sure there are ways of doing things different, or better. But it's all a learning process I guess

Mad_Mike

• Full Mayhemer
  • Lincolnshire
« Reply #19 on: May 08, 2012, 05:07:12 pm »

I dont think I wouldve dont my boat any different to the way you have done it. As long as it works :-)) you find that on your next boat build you wil rectify mistakes you made in this one. But then you will also find that you will make new mistakes that you got right previously  %% %%

Dicky-P

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #20 on: December 20, 2012, 05:50:15 pm »

I have recently started the build of a Racing Sparrow and would like some advise/information please.
1. The aluminium for the mast appearss to come in 1 metre lengths. What is the best way of lengthening it
2. What type of line have you used for the mast support
3. Can you recommend anywhere to purchase the aluminium for the keel. I cannot trace any supplier in my local area
Thanks for your advice

dickyp

nigel3a

• Full Mayhemer
    • Cheaper for Bills
« Reply #21 on: December 20, 2012, 08:05:16 pm »

Hi Dickyp,

I used carbon fibre for the mast, that comes in various lengths. 120cm 8mm Carbon Fibre Tube Kite Frame Framing Models
I used sea fishing line 25g I think, would have to check for you.And I bought the Aluminum bar from ebay, B & Q do it, but it's too thin. They have a website here
http://www.forwardmetals.co.uk/acatalog/Products__20mm_x_3mm__1095.html
Aluminium Flat Bar - 20mm x 3mm x 750mm Long.[/color]
[/font]

I got to the stage of almost launching it, but the lack of time just took over.[/color]
I think the hardest part by far was making the counter-weight. I went for the none casting method. And it pays to buy the resin etc in bulk from glassfibre supplier.[/color]

I'd be interested to see the progress[/color]

Nigel[/color][/font]

Dicky-P

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #22 on: December 20, 2012, 09:21:29 pm »

Hi Nigel
Thanks for your response
It would appear that everbody has their own opinions of what the best materials are and their own methods of building.
I have recently completed a JIF.65 which our model boat club appear to be into at the moment.. Being new to model yachting I have been given all sorts of advise, one of which was not to buy the carbon fibre tube for kite making as it is too flexible. Each to their own.
I have reached the stage with the hull where I have installed the balsa lower deck and need to buy the veneer for the finishing deck layer. The hull has just been undercoated. I was told to use Dacron for the ropes but my local fishing shop says its no longer available, thus my query. What do you think about "tiger wire" - any good
I am in the process of making a balsa bulb to use as a template for forming the mould to pour the lead
will try your contact for the aluminium keel
Thanks again for your help
Regards

Richard (dickyp)
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.099 seconds with 22 queries.