Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Square riggers  (Read 23246 times)

daveh

• Full Mayhemer
Square riggers
« on: April 08, 2012, 10:13:47 pm »

Hi all
Can anyone help can you buy large scale kits of a square rigger ship of the line ?if so what companies are there, or do you all build them from plans from scratch
many thanks
Dave

triumphjon

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Square riggers
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2012, 10:47:09 pm »

if you contact fratton models in portsmouth , allan may be in a position to assist you .

subs1

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2012, 12:03:19 am »

Ummm I think he's talking about LARGE scale square riggers , not the toys about 4ft long hehe .
Try http://www.modelsailingships.com/

daveh

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2012, 09:33:01 am »

hi all
yes more along those lines that I am looking for are there more conpanies that make that type of model and size?
many thanks
Dave

offshore1987

• Full Mayhemer
  • Good to be back
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2012, 02:53:01 pm »

There use to be a place online that use to make larger sized models and i think they use to be rtr, havnt seen it online for ages now though

From what i remember they use to sell a large scale yacht, which was blue in colour and more like a pleasure yacht. Plus a large square rigger thing, when i say large they use to be like 2/3 meters, and they use to sale other large things all built in house, plus the normal bits n bobs

Anyone remember the site?

Daniel

daveh

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2012, 05:04:39 pm »

Hi all
I have seen SC&H website stunning models and a lot of money too does anyone know do they hold there value after you have bought one .I know perhaps thats not what you should ask even before you have bought one but it would be nice to know when your talking of that sort of money.
Dave

tony23

• Full Mayhemer
  • IOM, Marblehead Yachts
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2012, 06:31:20 pm »

There was a square rigger for sale on this site a while back but I'm not sure if he sold it as it was about £2500 if I remember correctly it was one of SC&H models. I was only looking on there site this afternoon and wondering  O0 O0 O0 O0 O0

daveh

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2012, 08:03:45 pm »

Hi all
Thanks for all the replys are there any more companies who make these large scale ships anyone in the uk?
if you dont buy a kit and decide to scratch build, plans ,any good place to buy them, and if you scratch build can you buy any of the detail parts off the shelf so to speak
again many thanks for all your input
Dave

triumphjon

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2012, 08:25:00 pm »

i would strongly advise you talk to allan at fratton models in portsmouth ( 02392 827117 ) hes involved with the local model boat club portsmouth model display team ,who operate this type of craft regularily , i beleive they have a mould or two for producing the hulls ! could be more cost effective than importing from the states ? jon

unicorn

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2012, 09:28:26 pm »

:-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-)

Hi-- a couple of photo`s  of our Square Riggers having a Battle on the Portsmouth Dockyard Mast Pond just to give you an idea what can be
  built for a modest outlay, the largest hull length is in the region of 4 ft and when fully rigged and ballested takes 2  to put her on the pond, the on-board
  Fire is part of our display  and should not be attempted   ok2 ok2 ok2 ok2 ok2 unless     ??????????

rgds unicorn

tony23

• Full Mayhemer
  • IOM, Marblehead Yachts
« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2012, 12:09:37 am »

Wow, I want one where do I get some more information  :-)

BailingBen

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2012, 02:59:15 am »

phone/talk to Alan or  Helen as our club (pmbdt) has a mold witch im building a galleon from at the moment but, im not sure if the club would sell to anyone out the club and if i say something that's remotely  wrong i will get  a hit on the nose  <:( lol  %%  so talk to Alan

BailingBen

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #12 on: April 10, 2012, 03:01:26 am »

also the only mold we have at the moment is  only 3 ish feet possibly 4 haven't measured mine for a while there is a post on here rise of the phoenix and the boat from that was the plug for the mold

triumphjon

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #13 on: April 10, 2012, 07:44:40 am »

thank you unicorn , although i know the boats you use , ive got no photos that i could upload  !

BailingBen

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #14 on: April 10, 2012, 11:12:23 am »

oh the top pic shows the phoenix bottom left (the smaller 2) though measured  myn today morelike 3 nearly  and the big ones are 5 ish i think  at a  guess ps unicorn who are you

offshore1987

• Full Mayhemer
  • Good to be back
« Reply #15 on: April 10, 2012, 12:28:30 pm »

Would it not be better to say how much you have to spend?

Dont get all the fus with pyros these days, anyone can go out and buy remote units, we are selfs use them for airsoft. 10 years ago they use to be cool because it was hard to get hold of anything like that, but these days its like buying sweets

Daniel

unicorn

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #16 on: April 10, 2012, 05:30:26 pm »

:-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-)

I must confess  there`s Pyrotechnics and then there`s Pyrotechnic`s  --  but I must bow to your superior knowledge on buying " sweets ".

As all of our square Riggers are scratch built the costs are correlative to one`s building abilities and therefore could start (not including radio
           equipment or pyrotechnic`s) as low as £100.

rgds   unicorn

JerryTodd

• Full Mayhemer
  • Scale Sailor
    • Modeling Projects
« Reply #17 on: April 11, 2012, 02:31:16 pm »

Aside from SC&H, there are no kits.  Plans for various vessels can be had from various places - I think there's a thread in this forum listing a couple of sources.  The National Maritime Museum can supply you with copies of original draughts, build orders, materials lists, etc for nearly any British vessel you can come up with - but you will pay dearly for them.

Building from scratch is not more difficult, it's just like building from a kit except you have to make all the parts the kit supplies pre-cut.  It's generally cheaper.  As mentioned, the plans can be steep, and fancy materials can get expensive; but I don't have more than $400 invested in Constellation including radio equipment.  The cost of scratch building can also be spread out over time - whereas a kit you have to pay for it all up front. (usually)

You might take a look HERE for a little inspiration.

Here are three large models I have in the works:

USS Constellation 1:36 scale.  Sloop of war built 1854 and still exists at Baltimore Maryland USA.  Plans from US National Archives.

HMS Macedonian 1:36 scale (a build log in this forum)  Lively class frigate built in 1810 at Woolrich.  Plans from Smithsonian Institution.

Pride of Baltimore 1:20 scale Baltimore Clipper tops'l schooner replica as she appeared when I sailed her in 1981.  Plans from designer Tom Gilmer back in 1982.

My site details their construction

Come on in - the water's fine.

daveh

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #18 on: April 11, 2012, 07:35:04 pm »

Hi all, Thankyou all for your advice and help in this post. Please keep any advice and ideas coming it is all very helpfull and great to see what your all building
Dave

rmaddock

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #19 on: April 11, 2012, 07:40:04 pm »

Pride of Baltimore 1:20 scale Baltimore Clipper tops'l schooner replica as she appeared when I sailed her in 1981.  Plans from designer Tom Gilmer back in 1982.

I'm glad to see I'm not the only one with cardboard cut-out men manning his ongoing builds!  {-)

JerryTodd

• Full Mayhemer
  • Scale Sailor
    • Modeling Projects
« Reply #20 on: April 12, 2012, 04:17:00 pm »

I may have gotten the idea from you, but I wish it were as easy to make 3D figures!

I actually drew a little guy to put in the pictures and then thought, why not ME, since it's a boat I worked on.

daveh

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #21 on: April 13, 2012, 06:36:02 pm »

Hi all
It might be a stupid question but do you ever put motors on the ships just in case the wind falls away to nothing?
dave

JerryTodd

• Full Mayhemer
  • Scale Sailor
    • Modeling Projects
« Reply #22 on: April 14, 2012, 01:57:35 pm »

Several do; some internally, some externally.

The real Pride actually had an engine, as did Gazela so they'll each get one.

Constellation and Macedonian did not.  Their ballast is in a PVC pipe and I'm thinking of gluing on an extension with a motor in it.

Constellation's battery died on her first sail (turned out it went bad and won't charge) and I had to swim after her.  Having a motor wouldn't have made a difference as the radio ran on the dead battery.  What I learned was; I should have taken my float vest - would have made swimming easier, and build a pram to be a chase boat.  I sail in saltwater creeks on the Chesapeake Bay - relatively open water compared to a pond - hence my leaning towards larger models.

rmaddock

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #23 on: April 14, 2012, 02:10:27 pm »

Hi all
It might be a stupid question but do you ever put motors on the ships just in case the wind falls away to nothing?
dave

Some built in a small water jet system. This could supply some motive power but can also be used to increase the water flow over the rudder, thus improving the handling. It has the advantage of not requiring a non-scale prop to show.

unbuiltnautilus

• Portsmouth Model Boat Display Team
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #24 on: April 14, 2012, 02:22:29 pm »

My HMS Dolphin is fitted with a 12v blower motor as main drive, plus two 12v marine bilge pumps for bow thrusters. The model was fashioned after the Grand Turk, used to play HMS Indefatigable in the first four Hornblower episodes. She has bow thrusters therefore HMS Dolphin is historically accurate with her bow thrusters. Also very useful when bringing your guns to bear on the French!!
Listen politely, nod approvingly, then do what you want, works for me!
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up

Page created in 0.092 seconds with 22 queries.