Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Square riggers  (Read 23250 times)

daveh

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Square riggers
« Reply #25 on: April 18, 2012, 06:54:15 pm »

Hi all
Great looking ships in the photos ,what size  planking do you all use and what wood do you use hard or soft wood?
Dave

JerryTodd

• Full Mayhemer
  • Scale Sailor
    • Modeling Projects
« Reply #26 on: April 19, 2012, 01:25:18 pm »

I use "One by" "shelving board" which is white pine that's nominally 3/4 inch thick.  I rip off a little over 1/8 inch off the side on a table saw fitted with a 7 inch circular saw blade (to get a narrower kerf and less waste).  I then rip these into thirds or in half on a bandsaw.  

If you look at my sites, Macedonian is probably the best example, you'll see I use cheap plywood to make forms and tape the edges so the planking won't get glued to them.  The planks are glued to each other and tacked to the forms.  When the planking is completed, it's painted with thinned glue and any gaps are filled with glue thickened with sawdust.  It's all sanded fair and I then skim coat it with water putty and sanded to fill and fair it further.  Eventually it's glassed on the outside, usually with 3 or 4 oz cloth and polyester resin.  The inside is painted with resin when the forms are removed.

The hulls are basically "strip planked" - a method of making a shell.

The number of forms needed depends on the shape of the hull and what the plans give you.  Macedonian is a frigate with full bows, pronounced tumblehome and a lot of interesting shape, including a few hard bends.  I used 15 forms to maintain her shape better.

Pride, on the other hand is a saucer with a skeg, yet she still had 11 forms in her.  

Constellation started life with only 13 forms, despite being the longest hull.  She's nearly straight through her middle that it didn't require a lot of forms.

Gazela is a long narrow hull and will be built on 10 forms.

I use the same basic method to built ship's boats.

daveh

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #27 on: April 19, 2012, 08:38:36 pm »

Hi Jerry
Thankyou for the information very interesting your models are a fine example of a master builder.

Just for fun so to speak I bought a set of plans scaled them up and cut out  one form (frame)out of 12mm ply board so far have not spent a lot of money and its interesting to get your head around what it will take ot construct one of these fine ships.
Working with wood and having the tools is the easy bit for me as I am a carpenter and joiner with my own  small workshop.
If anything it will be a practice run to find out all the pit falls.And if all else fells I have a good would burner. If you dont try you will never know (always welcome any advice on building these models )many thanks
Dave

dreadnought72

• Full Mayhemer
  • Wood butcher with ten thumbs
« Reply #28 on: April 19, 2012, 08:57:51 pm »

Looks good!  O0

Personally, I'd rather build big if I can. The woodwork's easier to get (my) fat fingers around, there's loads of internal room, and the sailing characteristics are - they say! - always better.

If you can handle the transport side of things, I'd say "go for it".  :-))

Andy
Enjoying every minute sailing W9465 Mertensia

daveh

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #29 on: April 21, 2012, 07:16:13 pm »

Hi All

daveh

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #30 on: April 21, 2012, 07:19:41 pm »

daveh

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #31 on: April 21, 2012, 07:23:08 pm »

daveh

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #32 on: April 21, 2012, 07:33:31 pm »

Had a day free today to cut more forms (frames) out five more to go ,at the mo just going by the plans I think I will cut more of the core in the centre out  when all are done.I can use oak or pine or mahagony for the planking why this is because have a lot of offcuts in the workshop of these timbers. can I ask what do you all think of using one of these timbers for the planking or would you use a different timber.
Many thanks for all your advice on this matter
Dave (and any other advice you can give me)

JerryTodd

• Full Mayhemer
  • Scale Sailor
    • Modeling Projects
« Reply #33 on: April 22, 2012, 05:53:22 am »

You really should take a look at This fellow's work
I think he's in line with what you have in mind.

daveh

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #34 on: April 24, 2012, 08:05:37 pm »

Hi All
A little more done

daveh

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #35 on: April 27, 2012, 07:17:32 pm »

daveh

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #36 on: May 03, 2012, 06:39:33 pm »

unbuiltnautilus

• Portsmouth Model Boat Display Team
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #37 on: May 04, 2012, 09:18:49 am »

Excellent job so far, it just gets better from here on in. You will have a big smile on your face all the time you are running this model. Good progress and good luck with the rest of the build. :-))
Listen politely, nod approvingly, then do what you want, works for me!

essex2visuvesi

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #38 on: May 04, 2012, 09:39:49 am »

Are you related to Rowan Atkinson? :)

A nice build there.... wish I had the space/knowledge/patience for a build like that
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity
Proud member of the OAM  (Order of the Armchair Modeller)
Junior member of the OGG  (Order of the Grumpy Git)

Jimmy James

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #39 on: May 04, 2012, 11:10:09 am »

Have a look under Yachts and Sail R & D the next thread after this one and look under Briganteen Freebooter This contains a wealth of infomationon Building ,Rigging & how to haul the yards arround and sail making & ways to set and reefing sails
Jimmy

Retired  Ships Officer/ Master.
Experience: 50+ years at sea under Sail, Steam & Motor
Kings Lynn

dreadnought72

• Full Mayhemer
  • Wood butcher with ten thumbs
« Reply #40 on: May 04, 2012, 12:15:51 pm »

Lovely job so far.

But - planked up from bare bulkheads in three weeks? Do you have any idea how ssllooww this makes me feel?!  :}

Andy
Enjoying every minute sailing W9465 Mertensia

daveh

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #41 on: May 04, 2012, 07:21:00 pm »

Hi All
 related to Rowan Atkinson? :) I thought I look more like Cary grant or Russell crowed or even a James bond type ?but its not the first time I have heard R, Atkinson mentioned  :o
thankyou all for your kind words ,its my first time with this type of ship so its a big learning curve and it is surprising what you learn by having a go so to speak some ,things I would do again and some I would not .But over all happy so far with what I have done.

If you have any ideas regards making= rigging ,sails, figurehead ,rope,and anything else I would love to here your ideas, it would be a great help to me

As for the speed of build if I was not in the shed at night building the boat I would be indoors having to talk to the wife LOL only joking dear if you ever happen to read this post  <*<

Dave

essex2visuvesi

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #42 on: May 05, 2012, 09:34:27 am »

Would you say bulding in the larger scales is easier than something smaller?
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity
Proud member of the OAM  (Order of the Armchair Modeller)
Junior member of the OGG  (Order of the Grumpy Git)

Big Ada

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #43 on: May 05, 2012, 04:47:33 pm »

These take about 30 minutes to construct. I got the plan from the Weymouth model boat show years ago, My model boat club members made them then we raced them accross our lake 4 or 5 years ago, we are going to do the same on Sunday 13th May.

Len, Model Boat Association Dover, Kent.

daveh

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #44 on: May 06, 2012, 07:04:06 pm »

Hi all
Regarding building this models well only my opinion but the bigger they are the better ( big fingers and small parts dont go together)
and I have a fondness for larger models .

well here she is ,grp applied ,rubbed down , and primed.

JerryTodd

• Full Mayhemer
  • Scale Sailor
    • Modeling Projects
Sail controls
« Reply #45 on: May 06, 2012, 07:22:31 pm »

I fly by the seat of my pants, stealing ideas from wherever I find them, and haven't the skills, tools, or money to "machine" intricate control systems for my boats.

Keeping all that in mind, do you have some idea of how you're going to control that rig?

On Constellation I wanted the braces out at the end of the yards as on the real ship - but different length yards mean changing vector geometry resulting in the winch set up I made, based on stolen ideas, and that have yet to be tested in combat.  It works in other large models, so I confident it it's operation for me - but it relies on expensive winch servos which I have already zapped once by connecting the battery with the poles wrong and cost as much as another winch to have them repaired.

Pride is getting a fairly typical control system for a schooner, but with enhancements to handle running backstays and forestays along with three overlapping sails and squares.

Macedonian I plan a cordless drill motor driven system controlled by micoswitches and cheap little servos.  The working braces will be set maybe 6 inches out on the yard and be clear monfiliment while the "scale" braces will run free and just be for looks - eliminating all the fancy geometry and expensive winch servos.

The fore mast should be separately controlled from the main and other after masts to allow you to back wind the fore sails and box the head when tacking.  The heads'l that likely overlap a great deal on your prototype vessel can have the clews and foot set higher to minimize, and even eliminate the overlap and make it easier to sheet them without snagging.

Give some thought to being able to shorten sail - not necessarily remotely, but manually at the ponds edge.  The easier it is to remove and place t'gallants' royals, heads'ls, brail up courses, and even reef tops'l - the more enjoyable sailing the model will be in almost any conditions.  The smoother things operate, the more you'll want to sail, and the more satisfied you'll be with your efforts.  If it's a pain to set up and operate, and she's always on her side in even a moderate breeze, the more sailing her will become a chore you'll try to avoid and she just collect dust or wind up on ebay.

daveh

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #46 on: May 08, 2012, 05:17:27 pm »

Hi all
sprayed the bottom copper colour went over with a light green to give it a tinted look
thank you all for your advice regarding rigging etc (keep it cumming)
Dave

daveh

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #47 on: May 08, 2012, 08:24:17 pm »

Hi all
one coat of black base coat applied ,when the hull is finished do you guys put a coat of lacquer over the hull ?

Dave

unbuiltnautilus

• Portsmouth Model Boat Display Team
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #48 on: May 09, 2012, 09:30:52 am »

I dont protect my paint finish once applied, as I prefer the model to develop a slightly 'lived in' look over the months. mind you, over the years it starts to look a bit of a wreck...
Listen politely, nod approvingly, then do what you want, works for me!

triumphjon

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #49 on: May 09, 2012, 02:42:32 pm »

my own boat has a varnished hull , its sailed regularly in salt water , it never even gets cleaned down after a sail , its natural weathering ! jon
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up

Page created in 0.094 seconds with 22 queries.