Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down

Author Topic: Square riggers  (Read 23259 times)

Brooks22

• Full Mayhemer
Channel requirements for multimasted ships
« Reply #75 on: August 21, 2012, 05:08:51 am »

3 channels will suffice for any multimasted ship, 2-masted schooner to 4-masted barque, anyway: rudder, foremast, main+mizzen (or main+mizzen+jigger for a 4-masted  barque). For sails, the rule is: 1 channel for masts forward of the CLR (center of lateral resistance), and 1 channel for the sails aft of the CLR. This allows you to use the sails to steer, a very necessary requirement if you want to both tack and wear, in my experience. Multimasted ships are not as rudder-dominated as sloops; you can't, under all wind conditions, simply jam the rudder over to head up or fall off. It's the misunderstanding of this point that has given the multimasted ships such a "hard-to-sail" reputation, I believe. They work just fine if you follow the rule I've given, and if you  adjust sail area to match the wind conditions.

I've gotten away with 2 channels for a bottle boat 2-masted topsail schooner, but that boat requires more microseamanship (and luck with weather) than the 3 channel versions of sailboats. She sails, but her maneuevering is not as elegant as the 3 channel ships.

I don't think that 2 channels would suffice for a barquentine, Mr. Positive (love your miniatures). Fixing the main and mizzen sheets, and only rc-ing the foremast squares, will make it hard to wear ship, or make a run. Going to windward (with tacking) is all fun and good, but at some point in your cruise, you have to sail back downwind to your starting harbour :-).
-------------
My ships (gaff sloop, topsail schooners, brigantine, brig, 4-masted barque) can be seen here under my pre-mayhem-crash screen name of Brooks, or over on rcgroups.com (sailboats and scale sailboats forums) under Brooks.

daveh

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Square riggers
« Reply #76 on: November 06, 2012, 08:18:25 am »

hi all

meatbomber

• Shipmate
  • Model Boat Mayhem Forum is Great!
« Reply #77 on: November 07, 2012, 08:27:49 am »

Awesome work :)

i`d love to do a 74 in 1:50 scale but since 2 years am not even able to finish a small 18gun shipsloop :D it`s amazing how fast you are progressing which such a large build.
I`ve built 4 sailing square riggers allmuch smaller than yours, but they sailed fairly well thanks to Brookses help. All of them independent control over the sails before and aft of the CLR which was essential to make them work right.

daveh

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #78 on: December 15, 2012, 12:02:05 pm »

hi all
almost finished victory thinking of putting her on ebay soon
dave
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Up

Page created in 0.091 seconds with 22 queries.