Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Orbit 805 motor info, please?  (Read 1884 times)

Yamaha1

• Shipmate
Orbit 805 motor info, please?
« on: April 09, 2012, 11:46:54 am »

I have aquired an oldish Krick "Grimmershoern" pilot cutter, built about 30 years ago, and fitted with an Orbit 805 motor.

Does anyone have any info on these motors, please? It used to be powered by a 6v SLA battery - but as for speeds
and voltage ranges I have no idea!!

Would I be better off to re-motor it - and if so, what do you suggest, please? It's quite a heavy old lump, fibreglass hulled.

Mike

roycv

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Orbit 805 motor info, please?
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2012, 12:14:04 pm »

Hello as no one has responded maybe I can help.
The Orbit 805 is a powerful lowish revving motor, the boat you have does not need to go very fast.  I would stick with 6 volts or 6 Nimh cells at 7.2 volts.  SLA's at this size are quite cheap.
Don't forget you will need a charger as well. 
Chargers for SLA's are different to ones used for Nicads and Nihh batteries.  There are chargers that will do both.

Most electric motors of this size with a bit of oil on the bearings will almost last indefinitely assuming it is rust free.

A minimum 15 amp speed controller, better 25 amps should do the job, but do not increase the propeller size on the boat as this will increase the current.  They will cope with up to 12 volts, running on 6 volts is no problem.

There are a number of motors to choose from and an ordinary 540 would be OK (not a low power one).
What size propeller is fitted at the moment?

hope this helps,
regards Roy
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.084 seconds with 21 queries.