Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Advise on Motors, Servo's and Esc?  (Read 1737 times)

Sir Albert

• Full Mayhemer
Advise on Motors, Servo's and Esc?
« on: April 09, 2012, 05:49:14 pm »

I am about to start building a 1/96th sacle of HMS Exeter, and I have sourced the hull, fittings and running gear the next step is black magic to me so I was wondering what people would recommend I use regarding, if any of you have specific makes you  would use or stay away from then again I would be greatful of any guidance in these matters.

1, the Motors thought about getting SM555 from fleetscale, is there a better choice
2, Servo
4, ESC, some peolpe have suggested I could use 1 but others have said use 2. Again what would be the best solution.

Cheers in advance.

Shipmate60

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
  • You bark - I will bite!!!
Re: Advise on Motors, Servo's and Esc?
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2012, 06:03:01 pm »

The 555 motors are used well in this model.

A standard servo is fine for the rudders.

1 Speed controller is fine in "open sea" but these ships have very slow rudder response when running slow.
I prefer 2 x Speed controllers which will allow independent control of the shafts and will let you spin her just on the shafts.
If you have a 2 channel radio (or want more radio functions) a mixer such as the combined mixer/2 speed controllers from ACTion is useful as well.

Bob
Officially a GOG.

Sir Albert

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2012, 06:18:02 pm »

The 555 motors are used well in this model.

A standard servo is fine for the rudders.

1 Speed controller is fine in "open sea" but these ships have very slow rudder response when running slow.
I prefer 2 x Speed controllers which will allow independent control of the shafts and will let you spin her just on the shafts.
If you have a 2 channel radio (or want more radio functions) a mixer such as the combined mixer/2 speed controllers from ACTion is useful as well.

Bob

Thanks for that, I see you are a fellow Pompey fan.  If you are available anytime is there a chance we could meet up over a beer (I'll buy) and I could pick your brains a little?

John W E

• I see no ships !!
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2012, 06:38:09 pm »

hi ya

scratchbuilt the HMS York at 1:96 and in her there are 2 x 500s with an ACTion P98 powered by a 6 volt gel=-cell and in turn they are driving 5 blade 32 or 35 (cant remember) brass props - its gives it a good turn of speed and endurance on the water along with being able to turn it on a sixpence with independent control from the p98

http://www.modelboatmayhem.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=15073.0
aye
john
Knowledge begins with respect
But fools hate wisdom and discipline
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.091 seconds with 21 queries.