Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: A learning Curve  (Read 1904 times)

nigel3a

• Full Mayhemer
    • Cheaper for Bills
A learning Curve
« on: April 11, 2012, 03:35:21 pm »

It pays to read the instructions.

I just received the rudder for my Sparrow. It comes with a support tube to go through the hull, I thought to myself, that seems on the large side. Needless to say I drilled out the pilot hole I already made. Because the stern rises up slightly the outer part didn't sit flush with the hull, so I countersunk it to make it fit flush.
Excellent job I though, but when I looked inside the hole was almost at the edge of the balsa brace inside the hull.

I looked at the plans in the book and it showed just the rudder stem going through the hull. 
I guess that's lack of experience for you. Anyway to remedy it, I just filled the hole back up with resin and redrilled the pilot hole. Hopefully that'll do the job.

As a footnote, would I be right in thinking that just a spot of grease oo the stern tube will stop the water coming in. It is a snug fit.

Nigel.

Stavros

Re: A learning Curve
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2012, 05:23:08 pm »

Grease it up everytime ,doesnt matter how tight the fit is,it will stop the water comming in

Dave

Tug-Kenny RIP

• Full Mayhemer
Re: A learning Curve
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2012, 08:43:21 pm »

I always situate the top of the rudder shaft above the waterline as well as greasing it.

Can't be too careful

ken

Despite the high cost of living   .......... It remains popular
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.085 seconds with 21 queries.