Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: BELLY FULL OF THE TITANIC  (Read 21499 times)

CF-FZG

• Full Mayhemer
Re: BELLY FULL OF THE TITANIC
« Reply #50 on: April 14, 2012, 12:43:25 pm »

The BBC North West News is trying to claim Titanic as one of its own....even though she never went near the place. Last night they ran a story about the heroic band playing until the end, even though that was a myth perpetuated by James Cameron and his movie....Ridiculous. >>:-( >>:-(

The ship's home port was Liverpool - maybe had something to do with it %)

What myth >>:-(

You do realise there were several films about the Titanic before James Cameron's effort ok2  and they all show the band playing at the end - as stated by survivors :-))
Mark.

Tonka Toys - Big boys toys :)

CF-FZG

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #51 on: April 14, 2012, 12:45:04 pm »

Ashamed to say, i have never heard of this ship.....but will read every word of that site now....Incredible and terribly sad. <:( <:(

Neither have I, but one thing I'm not - is being ashamed of not knowing - why should I know of it???

The Titanic also pales in significance when compared to the loss of the Lancastria which the majority of public are totally unaware of.

Both the Wilhelm Gustloff and the Lancastria were casualties of war - not exactly in the same class of accident as the Titanic were they >:-o

Mark.
Mark.

Circlip

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #52 on: April 14, 2012, 12:47:11 pm »

Saves sinking yer toy boat when the ponds frozen  :-))

Regards   Ian.
You might not like what I say, but that doesn't mean I'm wrong.

What I said is not what you  think you heard.

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #53 on: April 14, 2012, 01:41:36 pm »

Neither have I, but one thing I'm not - is being ashamed of not knowing - why should I know of it???

If you were interested in shipping, naval or military history you would probably have heard of it but not otherwise. The Gustloff sinking took place against a background of even more horriffic events in the closing stages of WW2 in Eastern Europe.

Colin

Norseman

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #54 on: April 14, 2012, 02:13:39 pm »

The most learned of experts started off by not knowing - so it's what you do with new input that's important.

Dave

rmaddock

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #55 on: April 14, 2012, 02:15:09 pm »

The most learned of experts started off by not knowing - so it's what you do with new input that's important, Grasshopper.

{-)

Big Ada

• Full Mayhemer

Footski

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #57 on: April 14, 2012, 05:34:37 pm »

Both the Wilhelm Gustloff and the Lancastria were casualties of war - not exactly in the same class of accident as the Titanic were they >:-o

Mark.

If I was to reply as I thought, I would get banned. Out of respect for the forum, and those that died in these tragedies,I will ignore your comments..

CF-FZG

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #58 on: April 14, 2012, 05:38:15 pm »

If I was to reply as I thought, I would get banned. Out of respect for the forum, and those that died in these tragedies,I will ignore your comments..

Oh please do, as I'd really like to hear why my comments are found to be so offensive by you!

Mark.
Mark.

Richtea

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #59 on: April 14, 2012, 06:03:53 pm »

I don't think that you can compare the deliberate sinking of ships in a war,
to an accidental sinking in peacetime.
Regards
Richard
SI VIS PACEM,
PARA BELLUM

davidjt

• Full Mayhemer
  • north wales coast
Re: Titanic in the Daily Mail
« Reply #60 on: April 14, 2012, 06:11:53 pm »

ten out of ten for effort, but sadly the council will no doubt close it down which would be a pitty as it looks great

davdj %% %% :police: :-X

CF-FZG

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #61 on: April 14, 2012, 06:13:29 pm »

I don't think that you can compare the deliberate sinking of ships in a war,
to an accidental sinking in peacetime.
Regards
Richard

That was my point Richard.

Mark.
Mark.

John W E

• I see no ships !!
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #62 on: April 14, 2012, 06:24:19 pm »

hi ya there Richtea

I totally agree with your statement there, about trying to compare the two. 

One is virtually a deliberate sinking and the other supposedly by accident. 

What makes me question a lot of things, not only about the Titanic - but other disasters of the sea - is the documentation which is released to the public.  Just sat and partly watched a documentary on Discovery about the hospital ships sinkings in the First World War; where the British Government flatly denied that any hospital ship carried any form of munitions/weaponry and yet - there has been a diary handed in to a Museum (from I believe a nurse or ships doctor) where it is stated in that diary that whilst in London, certain armaments were loaded aboard a hospital ship.   

If you think about it, the entry in the diary must be pretty truthful - on the other hand (even to this day) still deny that any ship carried any form of arms - so what truth have the authorities held back about the Titanic?  Will we ever find out?     

aye
john
Knowledge begins with respect
But fools hate wisdom and discipline

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #63 on: April 14, 2012, 07:22:40 pm »

John,

I think that all the facts about the Titanic are pretty much now in the public domain but they are all mixed up with opinions and inaccuracies that were peddled at the time and subsequently.

As for wartime, well, who knows what actually occurred then under conditions of secrecy. The hospital ships were sailing out to Gallipoli more or less empty with just the medical staff onboard so it's not beyond the realms of possibility that someone, somewhere, thought it might be a good idea to use them to transport war materials while they were at it. I suspect we shall never know as it would have been covered up at the time.

There is still speculation that the Lusitania was carrying ammunition when she was torpedoed which accounts for the second explosion and rapid sinking of the ship, but others say that the second blast was either coal dust igniting or a boiler exploding. Who knows?

Colin

dave301bounty

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #64 on: April 14, 2012, 07:31:18 pm »

to anyone one interested and there must be some one.Tommorrow Sunday at 12 noon there is a service at the Titanic memorial at the Pierhead Liverpool ,the memorial was erected with help from the merchant MARINE Engineers ,dedicated to ,not only Titanic,s Engineers ,but All seafaring Engineers ....hope i,ve said that right ,,,anyway it will be quite a dedication ,and together with the men from Liverpool who went down ,it really is a must for the Titanic enthusiast .

Bob K

• Bob K
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #65 on: April 14, 2012, 07:32:19 pm »

- so what truth have the authorities held  back about the Titanic?  Will we ever find out?     

This underlines that Titanic has moved beyond fact into legend, and finally towards myth.  Once the 'dry facts' have been embellished beyond what programme makers need to add to the story, and previous documentary errors are constantly retold, we tread the dangerous waters of conjecture and conspiracy theories to create 'new slants' instead of just remakes of existing data.

Roswell, Loch Ness, Pyramid theories, and Flight 19.  Eventally the myth replaces actual events and becomes firmly cemented in consciousness.

eg:  Just look at Walt Disney's retelling of Robin Hood.  I bet this is the version most kids bring to mind if asked.
HMS Skirmisher (1905), HMS Amazon (1906), HMS K9 (1915), Type 212A (2002), HMS Polyphemus (1881), Descartes (1897), Iggle Piggle boat (CBBC), HMS Royal Marine (1943), HMS Marshall Soult, HMS Agincourt (1912)

Norseman

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #66 on: April 14, 2012, 09:24:20 pm »

I've been thinking about this war versus accident issue. If we can set aside those connected with an event
and just look at an event then it still isn't simple. A Tsunami with massive loss of life is a tragedy but is also
unnavoidable.  An act  of war is deliberate - but is it any more deliberate than say the National Coal Boards
actions pre/post Aberfan? Is it any more deliberate than governments who refuse to look at our planets pollution?
More deliberate than the global food and drug companies absolute greed?

If I say to that 'I dunno really I'm just a bloke' how much blame do I carry for not getting educated and involved?

Dave

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #67 on: April 15, 2012, 04:47:33 pm »

If anyone in NI could record this for me....

SOS: The Titanic Inquiry - http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b01g97gf
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

dave301bounty

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #68 on: April 15, 2012, 08:19:25 pm »

I Was at the Service today ,at the Memorial to the Engine Room staff of Titanic ,it was quite well attended ,and very dignified with the Choir singing ,and a good service to remember.The Memorial had been cleaned up well for this event ,and I,M sure there will be documentation to record this ,I,m glad to have attended .

funtimefrankie

• Full Mayhemer
  • Location: Birkdale, Lancashire. twixt the Mersey & the Ribble
« Reply #69 on: April 15, 2012, 08:51:08 pm »

If anyone in NI could record this for me....

SOS: The Titanic Inquiry - http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b01g97gf

Will it be available on the iPlayer in England...
http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b01g97gf/SOS_The_Titanic_Inquiry/

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #70 on: April 15, 2012, 10:20:12 pm »

I though this was terrible, Len was anyway! http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b01g7nwb
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

tobyker

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #71 on: April 15, 2012, 10:39:32 pm »

Sorry, folks - factor of 10 is an unusually large error even for me. And the skipper of the russian submarine that sank it was sent off to the gulag. (man who knew too much?)

Peter Fitness

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #72 on: April 15, 2012, 11:59:12 pm »

We have not been immune to the Titanic on TV here, either, with both Pay and free to air TV running Titanic related programs all day yesterday. I watched some of them and found them to be very interesting, although some are affected by so called "artistic licence". For those of you who are fed up with the coverage I offer a simple solution - change channels or turn your TV off. Similarly with the upcoming London Olympics, if you don't like it, don't watch it. I will be watching as much of it as the time difference will allow, courtesy of the pay TV dedicated channels. I was lucky enough to go to the Sydney Olympics in 2000 and would love to be able to go to those in London, but will have to settle for the TV coverage.

Peter.

Norseman

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #73 on: April 16, 2012, 12:07:09 am »

Hi Peter

It's not a case of objecting to the actual programmes. It's just that they advertise them continuously
for weeks in advance, and even though I am not watching the tv (my wife is) it's beginning to grate
more than a little.

Dave

Peter Fitness

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #74 on: April 16, 2012, 12:22:36 am »

I understand what you're saying, Dave, but that's no different to most "big" events on TV. The pre-broadcast advertising can become very persistent..and annoying.

Peter.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Up

Page created in 0.104 seconds with 22 queries.