Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: BELLY FULL OF THE TITANIC  (Read 21557 times)

John W E

• I see no ships !!
  • Full Mayhemer
BELLY FULL OF THE TITANIC
« on: April 12, 2012, 06:07:47 pm »

Hi ya, I am just wondering how many of us have had a belly full of the Titanic - its gone over the top to me now, with all these programmes on tv and articles in magazines - everwhere you turn - they have done everything, discussed everything and even sailed the same route - it was a great disaster but surely its time now to let the unfortunate souls rest.   

aye
john e
Knowledge begins with respect
But fools hate wisdom and discipline

TailUK

• Full Mayhemer
Re: BELLY FULL OF THE TITANIC
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2012, 06:23:36 pm »

You think this is bad? Wait until they reach the 100th anniversary of the start of the Great War.

I see that the centenary of the Scott expedition slipped by unnoticed too.
No human society has ever functioned without models to capture, explain,disseminate,
persuade, sell, reinforce and analyse all kinds of ideas, values, concepts and situations.

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2012, 06:39:41 pm »

This was good on Radio 4 - http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b01g6fnr

... sorry Bluebird!  ok2
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2012, 06:42:22 pm »

Hi ya, I am just wondering how many of us have had a belly full of the Titanic - its gone over the top to me now, with all these programmes on tv and articles in magazines - everwhere you turn - they have done everything, discussed everything and even sailed the same route - it was a great disaster but surely its time now to let the unfortunate souls rest.  

aye
john e

So John, why is it that your name appears on the list of entries for the Titanic book we are offering as a prize on our online draw on the Model Boats website?  :-)

Colin

tt1

• Full Mayhemer
  • If I only know a little - then I can learn a lot
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2012, 06:56:08 pm »

So if he wins he could give it to me! {-) {-) {-)   --Sorry, couldn't resist.

John W E

• I see no ships !!
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2012, 07:04:37 pm »

Well Colin , :embarrassed: :you have got me on that one-but i hope its the modelling techniques  :-)) if not tt1 aye, you got a deal  {-) {-) {-) {-) {-)

aye
john
Knowledge begins with respect
But fools hate wisdom and discipline

DickyD

• Full Mayhemer
  • www.srcmbc.org.uk
    • SRCMBC
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2012, 07:17:59 pm »

aye
john e
Shhhhhhhhhhhhh John, Gill lost two relations [engineers] on the Titanic, keep your head down son.
Richard Solent Radio Controlled Model Boat Club http://www.srcmbc.org.uk

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2012, 07:20:30 pm »

Both the books are very good on the modelling side, the one being offered to subscribers only is very good indeed and I have a copy myself although I'm not a TitanicFanatic.

Colin

dougal99

• Full Mayhemer
  • Huntingdon, Cambs, England
« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2012, 09:42:16 pm »

Bluebird I'm with you. The whole thing has been overdone and bordered on the goulish.
Don't Assume Check

justboatonic

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2012, 10:46:12 pm »

Dont have a problem with it myself. I find it very interesting and intriguing exploring what happened to the ship, how and why it broke apart, the condition it is in now etc.

I mean that Concordia thread is 6 or 7 pages long, isnt it?

Neil

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2012, 10:56:15 pm »

Not me....or the kids......going to see Titanic 3D on Saturday night at Vue..the day she went down.........the kid's idea, not mine,  %% %% %% %% %% %%
and looking forward to it to......last time I saw a film in 3D was Reptilicus Vs Godzilla in 1964 or there abouts. {-) {-) {-)

Andyn

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #11 on: April 12, 2012, 11:13:40 pm »

Same here. I'm fed up of the olympics too...

john s 2

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #12 on: April 12, 2012, 11:16:52 pm »

Please dont use the o word. Im already fed up with this and its not yet started. John.

TheLongBuild

• Full Mayhemer
  • Build em, and play hard..
  • Location: Everywhere, But Nowhere !! But mainly in England....
    • Runcorn & District Scale Model Boats
« Reply #13 on: April 12, 2012, 11:44:57 pm »

Can't get enough , Titanic that is , stuff the Olympics

Rottweiler

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #14 on: April 12, 2012, 11:58:44 pm »

I am still utterly amazed by the underwater images of the Titanic,and of other wrecks.Why should it now be forgotten,it happened and shouldnt have,and there was a great loss of life. Will we feel the same about the poor souls on the Royal Oak when the Centenary of her loss comes up in 2039,or will this generation have forgotten by then?

Bob K

• Bob K
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #15 on: April 12, 2012, 11:59:10 pm »

A huge number of full size ships that have been lovingly modelled on these pages have suffered destruction and huge loss of life.  From Hood and Bismarck to Cressy and the Lusitania, the list seems endless.  That these are being carefully recreated in scale is a testitment to either ground breaking design, a key point in history, or just that the ship had a natural 'form follows function' beauty.

Maybe by building and dsicussing these ships we are honouring all those involved with the original vessels, and keeping alive the memory of those who served in them.  Otherwise we'd only select ships to model with epitaphs such as "scrapped 1921".
HMS Skirmisher (1905), HMS Amazon (1906), HMS K9 (1915), Type 212A (2002), HMS Polyphemus (1881), Descartes (1897), Iggle Piggle boat (CBBC), HMS Royal Marine (1943), HMS Marshall Soult, HMS Agincourt (1912)

bikerdude999

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #16 on: April 13, 2012, 05:21:15 am »

Definitely had enough of the titanic, if we had this amount of fuss made of every large loss of life we constantly have program's on about al sorts of disasters, they're not comig out with anything new just the same old cr@p again and again, as for re-releasing that god awful love story that just happened to take place on a ship called titanic....

Norseman

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #17 on: April 13, 2012, 07:42:20 am »

It's not the Titanic story or the programmes I'm sick of
it's all the beeping hype - on and on and on ..........

As for the 'O' I won't be tuning in but I'll be paying for some of it. <*<

Dave

Footski

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #18 on: April 13, 2012, 08:16:52 am »

The BBC North West News is trying to claim Titanic as one of its own....even though she never went near the place. Last night they ran a story about the heroic band playing until the end, even though that was a myth perpetuated by James Cameron and his movie....Ridiculous. >>:-( >>:-(

mikearace

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #19 on: April 13, 2012, 08:38:45 am »

Will probably get lambasted for this by many, and I accept that it was a disaster that caused immense grief for many people as do all disasters, but I personally have never understood the fascination with Titanic.  Badly designed, badly skippered, terrible movie (the James Cameron 'effort' not A Night to Remember of course) and not even a pretty graceful ship to look at.  Titanic seems to have some monopoply on disasters at sea and the hype at the moment is just OTT.  There have been many worse disasters that Titanic that get no attention whatsoever.  Cant recall ever seeing much iin the way of media attention about RMS Lancastria or the Empress of Ireland.  Lancastia had a total loss of life more than Titanic and Lousitania combined and Empress of Ireland lost more passenger lives than Titanic.  The other difference was both these had some semblance of successful working lives unlike the Titanic.
Not just two wheels...........and never trust a hippie

essex2visuvesi

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #20 on: April 13, 2012, 09:24:10 am »

If they had not of made the somewhat rash "Unsinkable" claims, would it still be remembered the same way?
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity
Proud member of the OAM  (Order of the Armchair Modeller)
Junior member of the OGG  (Order of the Grumpy Git)

MikeK

• Full Mayhemer
  • Utter Bloody Chaos !!
« Reply #21 on: April 13, 2012, 09:26:37 am »

I agree with you John, inasmuch as all this media coverage is giving these 'experts'  >:-o more chances to come out with complete drivel. I'm getting bored with yelling at the telly/radio a la Victor Meldrew. Yesterday some lady on Radio 4 was telling of the lead up to the collision saying that the lookout saw the iceberg ahead and gave three strokes on the bell - Good I thought at least they got the bell strokes for right ahead correct only to be followed by a recording of a bell being rung on an old fire engine or similar to add dramatic effect and triggering my Meldrew impersonations again !  >>:-(
Will be heading up to Shields early May by the way and hope to get down to the club and see the lads, that is assuming the council havn't turned it into an adventure playground or something else ridiculous  %% There goes Victor Meldrew again !

Mike

ACTion

« Reply #22 on: April 13, 2012, 10:06:35 am »

Couldn't agree more, John. There's just no dignity left, is there?
DM

Bob K

• Bob K
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #23 on: April 13, 2012, 10:08:15 am »

If they had not of made the somewhat rash "Unsinkable" claims, would it still be remembered the same way?

Another myth:  Neither the builders nor the owners made such claims before the event.  This story was generated by the Press afterwards, as usual putting words into peoples mouths via misquoted interviews.  Something like "With so many advanced safety features would you say that the ship was virtually unsinkable?"

The lifeboats issue annoys me too.  The trend in international maritime safety rules in 1912 was on compartmentation, as keeping the ship afloat after collision (with a ship or rock) would save more lives.  Titanic had more then the stipulated number of lifeboats, yet modern dramas keep showing crew worried about lack of boats.  The killer factor was the intense cold, apparently not factored into a scenario that those in the water could hold onto the lifeboat rope loops until rescued.  Major changes in martime safety laws invariably follow on from disaster investigations.

Sorry for the rant:

HMS Skirmisher (1905), HMS Amazon (1906), HMS K9 (1915), Type 212A (2002), HMS Polyphemus (1881), Descartes (1897), Iggle Piggle boat (CBBC), HMS Royal Marine (1943), HMS Marshall Soult, HMS Agincourt (1912)

rickles23

• Full Mayhemer
    • Royal Navy Commandos
« Reply #24 on: April 13, 2012, 10:10:08 am »

Hi,

Well just to upset you further there is a new dvd:

Titanic-Nuclear Secrets.

Enjoy

Regards
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5   Go Up

Page created in 0.108 seconds with 22 queries.