Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: water cooled esc  (Read 2477 times)

reaperspear

• Alistair Spear
  • Shipmate
water cooled esc
« on: April 13, 2012, 08:36:35 pm »

Hi, I am new to model boat building and have built a 33 inch pt109. On the second sail it went well and strait up onto the plane, the wires to the motor got hot and shorted and that finished the esc. I have upgraded the wires and have ordered a water cooled esc as it had got hot as well. My question is where in the hull should I put the inlet and outlet so that the water will circulate.
Alistair Spear

AlanP

• Full Mayhemer
Re: water cooled esc
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2012, 09:36:58 pm »

The water pickup usually goes at the stern, the cooling water should goe through the ESC first and then the motor and the outlet on the side of the hull.
Is it a brushed or brushless motor?

Alan

Mad_Mike

• Full Mayhemer
  • Lincolnshire
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2012, 12:53:30 am »

Hi, I am new to model boat building and have built a 33 inch pt109. On the second sail it went well and strait up onto the plane, the wires to the motor got hot and shorted and that finished the esc. I have upgraded the wires and have ordered a water cooled esc as it had got hot as well. My question is where in the hull should I put the inlet and outlet so that the water will circulate.

Ive just recently built a semi scale pt 109 from here:

http://www.building-model-boats.com/model-boat-plans-store.html

did you work from these plans or others and can we see some pics of your boat?

dodgy geezer

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2012, 08:27:36 am »

You can buy different sized ESCs (measured in Amps) for different sized motors and battery setups. Can you tell us what your motor, ESC and battery are? This will help us work out if you are using too small an ESC for that setup. If you are, cooling it may still not save it...

Propeller size is also important - too big a propeller will put a large load on the motor and increase the current drawn through the ESC. A few pictures will help us see if everything looks right...

reaperspear

• Alistair Spear
  • Shipmate
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2012, 02:22:04 pm »

Ive just recently built a semi scale pt 109 from here:

http://www.building-model-boats.com/model-boat-plans-store.html

did you work from these plans or others and can we see some pics of your boat?

Alistair Spear

malcolmfrary

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2012, 04:08:11 pm »

That 4 bladed prop should do a good job of overloading the motor, causing excess current and overheating.  Good for use on a tug, with the right motor, less so for a performance boat. 
What type of motor is fitted, what type of ESC did you burn out?
"With the right tool, you can break anything" - Garfield

Mad_Mike

• Full Mayhemer
  • Lincolnshire
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2012, 04:48:34 pm »

When i built this boat i used a standard 540 motor throught a 4mm propshaft, I spin this propeller on 8.4v

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__7358__Turnigy_4mm_AquaProp_31x22x14mm_.html

cooling is still required.

dodgy geezer

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2012, 06:28:03 pm »

Here is a typical water pickup for a boat like yours. Hydroplanes typically have surface-mounted pickups on the hull to cut down drag, or pickups taking spray from the propeller, but non-racing boats usually have a scoop like this....

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.1 seconds with 22 queries.