Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: More Horses killed at Aintree.  (Read 4015 times)

john s 2

• Full Mayhemer
More Horses killed at Aintree.
« on: April 15, 2012, 12:13:20 am »

Am i the only one who is appalled at the constant needless deaths of Horses? Before the race we were assured that the course had been altered to make it safer. This year one poor animal died at the first jump. If i had my way this type of racing would be banned. Your thoughts please Lads and Lasses. Thanks. John.

DickyD

• Full Mayhemer
  • www.srcmbc.org.uk
    • SRCMBC
Re: More Horses killed at Aintree.
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2012, 12:24:40 am »

Two horses Cheltenham Gold Cup winner Synchronised and According to Pete have died following falls in the Grand National.
Both horses fractured legs on the Aintree course and were later put down.
Richard Solent Radio Controlled Model Boat Club http://www.srcmbc.org.uk

pugwash

• Full Mayhemer
  • Location: recently left Amble and now in the wet Northumberland hills
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2012, 01:00:36 am »

And next we ban 3-day eventing as horses regularly get killed/injured - or hacking out on roads as horses regularly get killed/injured.
If you banned racing about 60000 horses would get put down and in excess of 100,000 people would be out of work.
Horses would not race if they did not enjoy it.
It is important that fences are as safe as can be,and horse welfare is a priority but there are far worse things still going on in our
countryside i.e. badgerbaiting, illegal killing of birds of prey NOT TO MENTION THE 1000s OF CHILDREN ABUSED/ASSAULTED/GROOMED/KILLED EACH YEAR.
Lets get our piorities right.  I believe the RSPCA do a very good job at looking after horses welfare in the racing industry.

Geoff

Failing to prepare means preparing to fail.

CF-FZG

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2012, 10:25:52 am »

Am i the only one who is appalled at the constant needless deaths of Horses? Before the race we were assured that the course had been altered to make it safer. This year one poor animal died at the first jump. If i had my way this type of racing would be banned. Your thoughts please Lads and Lasses. Thanks. John.

Thankfully you don't :-))

To paraphrase what has been said - when would it stop <*<
Mark.

Tonka Toys - Big boys toys :)

dreadnought72

• Full Mayhemer
  • Wood butcher with ten thumbs
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2012, 11:09:15 am »

My thoughts, John?

I'm in two minds. As a former TV cameraman who covered the Grand National many times, it's clear to me that the horses love to run. They're pack animals, evolved to gallop, and they undoubtably do enjoy these events.

What I don't agree with is the hypocrisy of the coverage, the racing fraternity, and many competitive horse owners in general. We were told, for example, to "avoid" showing horses on the ground: it passes on "the wrong message" to the public. Well, I'm all for honesty: if horses die in events like this, then it should be made absolutely clear.

But the biggest problem I have is that horses rarely die in events like this: they tend to break a leg. And then they're shot.

It is surely not beyond the bounds of veterinary skills today - especially when some of these horses are worth many many thousands of pounds - to plate and repair a broken leg? A bit of care and compassion shown by the owners might not go amiss.

Andy

Enjoying every minute sailing W9465 Mertensia

pugwash

• Full Mayhemer
  • Location: recently left Amble and now in the wet Northumberland hills
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2012, 12:17:37 pm »

Andy Having once been the owner of a horse that had a minor break on a foreleg I can tell you it is a complicated procedure repairing a fracture on a horse
as they spend so much time on their feet and their bone structure is quite complicated.  We were lucky our mare survived and was able to be hacked out again
but nothing more strenuous. If the horse injured in a race is a stallion bred from a famous line they will do what they can to save him as he will still make a fortune
at stud,a good mare may also be bread from, but many racehorses are geldings and after a broken leg will never race again so they are usually put down.
The cost of the vets bill following our recent horse bereavement at christmas would have bought us a new small family car.  No wonder vets all drive round in huge cars
- the money they make
geoff
Failing to prepare means preparing to fail.

bikerdude999

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2012, 12:52:33 pm »

You're certainly not the only 1, the needless waste of animals lives to provide entertainment.

Shipmate60

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
  • You bark - I will bite!!!
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2012, 01:10:03 pm »

I do see this type of post gaining favour, something happens that you don't like should be banned.
So under this premise of fatal danger being removed shouldn't the following be banned.

Smoking
Drinking
Cycling
Driving
Walking (especially in towns)
Drinking
Swimming
Rugby
Football
Cricket
Horse Racing
Eating Fast Food
The list is almost endless.............................................................

Bob
Officially a GOG.

bikerdude999

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2012, 01:20:04 pm »

I do see this type of post gaining favour, something happens that you don't like should be banned.
So under this premise of fatal danger being removed shouldn't the following be banned.

Smoking
Drinking
Cycling
Driving
Walking (especially in towns)
Drinking
Swimming
Rugby
Football
Cricket
Horse Racing
Eating Fast Food
The list is almost endless.............................................................

Bob

except the key point being those are al things people choose to do themselves..... so to alter it accordingly, yes they should make it illegal to make horses smoke or drink.....  ;D

Shipmate60

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
  • You bark - I will bite!!!
« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2012, 01:58:07 pm »

That was not the point, there just seems to be a more vocal calling to ban everything.
Why ban it, why not just make it safer as the Aintree Racecourse has announced today.
Your call and the OP's was to just blanket ban.
On that premise I think Motor Bikes and Trikes are dangerous to the rider (BOB's born again bikers have a huge mortality rate) but I don't advocate banning all of these forms of transport.
Why must everything be called to an absolute ban.

Bob
Officially a GOG.

Rottweiler

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2012, 02:35:18 pm »

A little comment..one footballer died on the pitch yesterday, and a few weeks ago another almost died, are we seeing any cries to ban football? I think not. One of the horses unseated his rider and ran round part of the course on his own,was he told to do that,no he wanted to.Maybe he should have been pulled from the race because he injured a jockey!

bikerdude999

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #11 on: April 15, 2012, 03:14:48 pm »

I don't agree with the banning of things, as then we would all be better off in stasis pods where there was no danger and no one got hurt or got a disease, my agreement with the OP was that it was not good treatment of the animals. No I don't agree with banning it, but if year after year horses are dying because of the jumps they should do something about it so it doesn't happen.....

john44

• Full Mayhemer
  • member of the Potteries Model boat club
« Reply #12 on: April 15, 2012, 04:27:09 pm »

I don,t think its the jumps, those horses could jump them all day.
Its when they all come together at the jumps and get in one each others way
a free for-all which inevitably results in casualtys.
So even if the jumps were made safer you would still have the same problems.
Reduce the numbers in the race and that would make it safer.

john

tobyker

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #13 on: April 15, 2012, 10:56:21 pm »

Gun law or Sun law?

CF-FZG

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #14 on: April 15, 2012, 11:30:45 pm »

Gun law or Sun law?

I'm glad someone's paying attention :-)) :-))

Mark.
Mark.

Tonka Toys - Big boys toys :)

Peter Fitness

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #15 on: April 16, 2012, 12:16:01 am »

Any activity involving animals is always an emotive subject. Here in Australia hurdles racing has been banned in some states, but still goes on in others. The animal liberationists would have us believe that rodeos are cruel, yet most of the bulls and horses used in rough riding are extremely well cared for, if for no other reason that they are valuable animals. Personally, I don't have a problem with any such activity providing the animals are looked after properly.

Peter.

essex2visuvesi

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #16 on: April 16, 2012, 06:46:58 am »

The animal liberationists would have us believe that rodeos are cruel, yet most of the bulls and horses used in rough riding are extremely well cared for, if for no other reason that they are valuable animals. Personally, I don't have a problem with any such activity providing the animals are looked after properly.

Peter.

Plus with rodeo riding quite often the horse/bull has the last laugh :)
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity
Proud member of the OAM  (Order of the Armchair Modeller)
Junior member of the OGG  (Order of the Grumpy Git)

nick_75au

• Full Mayhemer
    • Logan City Marine Modellers
« Reply #17 on: April 16, 2012, 07:00:29 am »

I think I could make a killing, pun intended, in setting up tours to Australia offering fox hunting and carp fishing trips.

Nick

Jerry C

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #18 on: April 16, 2012, 08:28:02 am »

I could make a killing asking racehorse owner to pay me NOT to bet on their horses. Mine always fall at the first fence. The other half got Sea Bass and won a tenner.
Jerry.

Circlip

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #19 on: April 16, 2012, 08:54:24 am »

Easy way to stop the first fence collisions, do as the Senior TT, set them off singley with a ten second spacing. Simple.    O0      :-))

Regards  Ian.
You might not like what I say, but that doesn't mean I'm wrong.

What I said is not what you  think you heard.

bikerdude999

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #20 on: April 16, 2012, 09:10:28 am »

or widen the fence?

Neil

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #21 on: April 16, 2012, 10:31:11 am »

I have listened to all these arguments about the race, and horses being put down because of broken legs and such.........but the real truth is........that it's much easier for both the owner AND  the insurance companies that insure these pedigree horses, to just put them down and pay out immediately than pay for all the vetinary treatment AND loss of earnings when they can't be raced and can't be  put to stud.............like all things, it comes down to money, and my betting is on it's cheaper and less of a burden on those insurance company pay outs to do so............

the only time an animal should be put down is if it is in a position of unbareable suffering and NO HOPE  of recovering.......not just a broken leg for ease of claiming on it.

As for the race.............they could ban all dobbin racing and I wouldn't be bothered one iota..........the most boring day I ever spent in my life was at a horse race meeting..........would have rather sat watching paint dry......that goes for football too!!!!

tritsch

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #22 on: April 17, 2012, 08:54:48 am »

Just a comment on the rodeo horses here in Australia, my son-in-law is a showjumper and on at least two occasions he has broken horses that appeared determined to try to kill him. Both times I know of he got rid of the horses by passing them on to someone who owns a string of rodeo horses.  The alternative would have been a bullet. Most of the buckjumpers are found in this way

Tony T 

wullie/mk2

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #23 on: April 17, 2012, 10:24:50 am »

After reading the comments on here, I am of the opinion, that its all down to Money,All is well if the going is good,but the minute the horse,s earning capabilities, cease, then its cheaper to put it down, than to nurse it back to health, and let it live its life out in a field,....Did anyone ever see the film "Seabiscuit"!!!!!!!!
Wullie,s place is an apology free zone

Richtea

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #24 on: April 17, 2012, 12:15:20 pm »

Cross country, point to point even just saddling up and hacking around the countryside can result in a fatal accident for the horse.
As for this years Grand National, the original poster got his facts wrong.
Synchronised fell while running riderless at Beechers Brook while According to Pete fell at Beechers second time round.

Horse racing is like motor racing in that there is a racing line,
on the flat that is not a problem, but over fences it causes a bottleneck, all the riders want to take the racing line.
The Grand National  attracts the biggest field so 40 horses heading for the first fence is like the start of a Grand Prix,
every one wants to get to the first fence, or corner at the same time.

As for a solution to the fatalities, I don't have an answer.
If we banned all dangerous activities or sports then we would only drive them underground and control and safety would be the first casualty.
Regards
Richard
SI VIS PACEM,
PARA BELLUM
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Page created in 0.094 seconds with 22 queries.