Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Robin Gibb  (Read 1480 times)

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
Robin Gibb
« on: April 15, 2012, 12:35:49 am »

I was very sad to hear the Bee Gee Robin Gibb has fallen into a coma and that the prognosis is not good.

Their early work such as Massachusetts was something I grew up with and although I did not really  identify with their disco period their back catalogue remains very impressive.

One of my favourite tracks when it came out was 'Morning of My Life' and I have always liked it but now many of us are in the Evening of our Lives which is quite poignant really. It has been said that we are partly defined by the music of our youth and for many of us the bands we originally identified with are now in the twilight of their years. We grew up with them and their ageing is something that we too see in the mirror in the mornings.

But will there ever be anything to match the rock music scene of the late Sixties? We were privileged to be there!

Colin

Neil

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Robin Gibb
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2012, 12:43:42 am »

Very profound Colin.......but I agree with you totally...............

When you consider the music that we (of our age group..........and being of a similaer age, I too feel a child of the 60's) grew up with........we had the best of music and life..........a time when music was progressive........not retrogressive........

and sadly today.......there is nothing new ....nothing that hasn't been done before, and very little that stands out against the crowd, unlike those very great heady and halceon days of the 60's.............I am proud to be as child of the 60's, and nothing can take that away from me, and I mourn those, who pass with the sands of time that brought such good misic to us flower power and all that came with it.
I hope that Robin does recover, but it doesn't look good..........but he will live on in the hearts of many who loved the music that the Bee gees brought to us .....as it will last just as the classics do........for their music WAS  classic.
neil.

john s 2

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2012, 01:20:24 am »

Yes Robin and his Brothers have left a lasting legasy. He has certainly fought his illness. Hopefully he may recover. If not then i hope he suffers no more. John.

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2012, 02:46:40 am »

Many years ago.....the brothers Gibb fell apart with anger  >:-o over who was credited with not only who wrote the lyrics & melody.......but who sang in the recording studios

In the end Robin was finally acknowledged as the principal contributor for many of their great works.......... :-))

After all....they were adopted as our sons in OZ..........................Derek 
Derek Warner

Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op
Australia
www.ils.org.au

Peter Fitness

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2012, 05:26:08 am »

Will there ever be anything to match the rock music scene of the late Sixties? We were privileged to be there!

I doubt it, Colin, it was a great era musically, and we (older ones) were indeed privileged to be there.

I am also a big fan of the Bee Gees, particularly as they were an Australian group. While they came from England, they started their musical careers here, achieving great popularity before going back to the UK. It is very sad to hear of Robin Gibb's condition and, while the prognosis is not good, we can but hope.

Peter.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.151 seconds with 21 queries.