Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: motor  (Read 1799 times)

smoky

• Shipmate
motor
« on: April 10, 2012, 02:19:29 am »

Hi new to electric boats. I am building dumas shelly foss 36" size. would a 12v cordless drill motor be to much power.

More Coffee

• Full Mayhemer
Re: motor
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2012, 05:26:03 am »

Probably to fast for the 2.5" props,If om not mistaken the dumas props tap out at 5500rpm.So you'll have to gear down.Also cordless drills take a pounding,most Ive taken apart the motors are just about done.

I don't know where your at,but in mine I used two 12volt fans, the accessory fans produced by Signal available at most truck part or truck stops

Mad_Mike

• Full Mayhemer
  • Lincolnshire
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2012, 11:30:58 am »

usually battery drill use a standard 27t 540 motor which is used for model boats are cars aswell but like more coffe says a bit fast for the type of boat your building. If you were to use the drill motor use the gear box on the drill to slow down the prop speed. The gear box will probably reduce the speed a little too much so you may have to fettle about with it and take some of the gear reduction out. about 3-1 reduction will do it :-))

More Coffee

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2012, 02:31:53 pm »

The Gear box is normally a planetary gear drive,while extremely robust, its more drag on the system. Its not a bad idea just the extra parts will limit run times by drawing more current.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.101 seconds with 22 queries.