Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Tamiya masking tape  (Read 2243 times)

tt1

• Full Mayhemer
  • If I only know a little - then I can learn a lot
Tamiya masking tape
« on: April 19, 2012, 02:23:47 pm »

Hello folks, have not heard if anyone has ever had an issue with the above, but I've just had a hell of a couple of weeks on the hull of the Alice Upjohn I'm building. I've only ever used tamiya tape to mask off for spraying and never had a problem before, but this time on removal of the tape a residue of the adhesive was left on the paintwork along all the masking lines. I dare not do anything for a few days until the paint had hardened, but by then so had the adhesive which I hasten to add, made what was nice crisp clean lines look a real mess. I had used 3 sizes of tape for masking (bought off ebay !? {:-{) so it wasn't just a rogue roll. It needed a mixture of white spirit and a dab of T cut to remove it which left a bloom that differed from the rest of the paintwork finish. I spent 4 days rubbing the whole of the hull, which is in four colours, to get an even finish. What a nightmare that was.

Has anyone else experienced similar?  and if so what remedy was / could be used or advised?

Regards, Tony.

essex2visuvesi

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Tamiya masking tape
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2012, 03:29:27 pm »

Yes, but I thought it was down to the fact that my tape was a few years old.

I've been using the graupner stuff of late and that seems to be quite good
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity
Proud member of the OAM  (Order of the Armchair Modeller)
Junior member of the OGG  (Order of the Grumpy Git)

Artistmike

• Full Mayhemer
  • North Devon
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2012, 03:34:04 pm »

Interesting, as I'm just about to do that particular job too and have bought Tamiya tape to do it with.  {:-{  I'd also be interested to hear any suggestions.....
“We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” George Bernard Shaw    :)

Neil

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2012, 03:57:16 pm »

I have used the new stuff on the market called "Frog tape" It's green in colour and is absolutely marvelous. I have used it and there is no seepage whatso ever under the tape.

they have also brought out a new one called "Frog Tape Delicate" and that is supposed to be excellent when masking work such as ours, if you don'ty want to try Tamiya again.
neil

tt1

• Full Mayhemer
  • If I only know a little - then I can learn a lot
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2012, 04:09:18 pm »

Hello Neil, glad you mentioned Frog tape a good friend of mine has heard excellent reviews about it although hasn't tried it himself.
         Definitely going to give it a look see, if I do change though I'll be left with about 15 rolls of Tamiya from 6 to 40mm wide! {-)

The paint used by the way was all Halfords so I don't think that caused a reaction, maybe I rubbed it down too hard when applying it, (the tape that is!) I've used Tamiya on lots of other parts and a couple of hulls with no probs whatsoever. Ah well.

essex2visuvesi

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2012, 04:45:19 pm »

I do find that masking tape seems to have issues when it starts to age.

TT1 you dont know how long its been sitting on the shelf so it could still be the age thing.

Oh and steer well clear of the cheap poundland etc stuff.... its only good for home decor work and it's not that good at that either!
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity
Proud member of the OAM  (Order of the Armchair Modeller)
Junior member of the OGG  (Order of the Grumpy Git)

Howard

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2012, 10:45:36 pm »

The wife has just decorated a bedroom masking off draws and wardrob using frog tape it was great so much so am going to try it next time on my boat
 regards Howard.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.152 seconds with 21 queries.