Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: My scratch built made in China RG-65  (Read 13881 times)

romainpek

My scratch built made in China RG-65
« on: April 09, 2007, 04:28:06 am »

My skills and experience are far below those of the other members of this forum, but I wanted to show you what I'm busy finishing before I really tackle my Mary J Ward schooner kit.

As I live in China, it's quite difficult to find proper supplies for the construction (just ask Tigertiger !)

All plans were found on the internet. I was lucky to obtain balsa sheets from a RC shop (doing mostly airplanes and helis).

My first planks on frame hull :

romainpek

Re: My scratch built made in China RG-65
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2007, 04:29:01 am »

More planking

romainpek

« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2007, 04:32:45 am »

after finishing planking, a coat of blue araldite (bought at Carrefour) thinned with alcohol. You can see my source of plywood : imported French cheese box covers ! I was silly enough to glue this panel with the letters showing out....

romainpek

« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2007, 04:35:53 am »

My first time ever to use an airbrush (these are cheap in Beijing, bought from an artist shop). I used acrylic paint thinned with water. My first ever flotation line. Amazing how difficult it is to make a staright line on a curved hull. local masking tape was very disappointing...

The keel is a wooden blade for model helicopters. On the picture is just the end tip, just to make a proper hole in the hull.

romainpek

« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2007, 04:40:11 am »

The boat is upright ! The mast is kite supply. Lots of kites in Beijing that will also provide me sail material and strong line. Making the boat support was quite boring and it doesn't look good.

romainpek

« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2007, 04:49:43 am »

The boom mast attachment (still a project). You call that gooseneck, right ? I'm using fish tackle, around a little tube that goes through 2 little hickory wood blocks fastened around the mast. The boom is a chopstick ! Plenty of these in China.

romainpek

« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2007, 05:00:43 am »

done this weekend : I resined the whole inside with a chemical that comes directly from hell. The hardener (0.8 g for 25 g of resin) ate part of my left index, the smell was horrible but it dried hard and waterproof in 4 hours. Much more easy to paint than epoxy glue as its viscosity is about the same as oil. I also installed the switch inboard, with a little iron wire going into a small brass tube.

I plan to glue the deck above as I do not want to take too much water while sailing. I need to find a good idea to let the recharging wire above deck without it looking too ugly. Any suggestions ?

Bunkerbarge

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2007, 08:12:49 am »

Romainpek, I think you are producing a superb model and demonstrating to us all just what can be acheived without the luxury of the suppliers we have access to in the UK.  I even think the writing on the plywood stern gives the boat some more character!!

You have had to think about how you can get around every step of the way and come up with a solution using the most basic of materials and as a result your model is an absolute credit to you.

As for a charging connection, if you can find something like a stereo system plug and socket and mount the socket on the boat then you can insert some form of dummy plug to waterproof it while the boat is in operation.
"Dirty British coaster with a salt-caked smoke stack, Butting through the Channel in the mad March days"

Welsh_Druid

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2007, 11:24:35 am »

Romainpek

Rather than just a charging socket on the deck you really need to be able to get at your receiver and battery. Use a Screw Top plastic container recessed into the deck to house them.

romainpek

« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2007, 09:49:29 am »

Thanks for your imput guys. I must say I did not think I would have to open the deck ever... so I will prepare cut outs that will be fixed in position with silicon. If someday I decide to look inside my boat, just a little slit with an X-acto knife will free the hatches.

I must add an emptying tube somewhere, in case the boat leaks (they all do, don't they ?)

tigertiger

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2007, 11:19:18 am »

Thanks for your imput guys. I must say I did not think I would have to open the deck ever... so I will prepare cut outs that will be fixed in position with silicon. If someday I decide to look inside my boat, just a little slit with an X-acto knife will free the hatches.

I must add an emptying tube somewhere, in case the boat leaks (they all do, don't they ?)

RG 65 looks good. Puts me to shame. I usually just complain and then get something sent from UK.
You have been a lot more innovative.

Have a look at this tip. It might help with the water leakage. http://www.modelboatmayhem.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=2597.0

The only stupid question is the one I didn't ask

HS93 (RIP)

• Full Mayhemer
  • I cannot spell , tough
« Reply #11 on: April 11, 2007, 11:49:40 am »

Think about putting as much electrical items eg , receiver plugs and sockets batteries in balloons with a tie rap before you use silicone near them as it can have a detrimental effect.if possable  go for the non  silicon sealers as used in bathrooms(they smell different) they do the same job but don't attack the electrics. Peter

romainpek

« Reply #12 on: April 12, 2007, 01:59:28 am »

Thanks for the word of advice regarding silicon, I did not know it could be corrosive.

Still scratching my head about the deck, I switched to the lead bulb below the keel fin.

I got a 500 g fishing weight from a friend in France. Almost the proper shape.

romainpek

« Reply #13 on: April 12, 2007, 02:02:05 am »

I got some fimo polymer clay from a friend. Kids do things that they bake in the family oven. It gets harder then.

The weight is drilled and covered with fimo at the tip. 40 mn in the oven at 130 C. The best is to cook when your wife is not in the kitchen.

romainpek

« Reply #14 on: April 12, 2007, 02:04:06 am »

After a bit of rasping, it seems to be correct. Positionned on the keel fin but not glued yet. A screw goes into the fin.l

romainpek

« Reply #15 on: April 16, 2007, 05:15:42 am »

Flotation test. No leaks  :)

boatmadman

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #16 on: April 16, 2007, 08:36:52 am »

Looking great.

A suggestion for your deck covering: on 1m yachts we usually fit a liteply deck (or whatever you may get your hands on over there) with an access hatch cut out. This hatch is then covered with fablon - stickyback plastic - works a treat, have sailed in all weathers with only one leak to my memory. Easy to remove and replace as well.

Ian
if at first you dont succeed.....have a beer.....

boatmadman

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #17 on: April 16, 2007, 09:05:45 am »

Another idea, for drainage this time.

Think of the silicon mastic dispenser nozzle, and how the stuff sets in there - well, pull it out in one peice and you have a ready made plug! drill a hole to suit in the transome, waterproof the bare wood, drill a hole in the outer part of the plug to thread some string through and hey presto, a drain plug!

I would suggest the transome hole is well above water line just in case the plug works out while sailing!

Ian

romainpek

« Reply #18 on: April 16, 2007, 10:19:51 am »

Thanks for your suggestions boatmadman !

I would suggest the transome hole is well above water line just in case the plug works out while sailing!

;D I would rather install it on the deck than below water line ! (a model is much more easy to turn upside down than the real thing).

Fablon looks promessing, but will it stick on a not mirror smooth wooden deck ?

boatmadman

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #19 on: April 16, 2007, 10:34:45 am »

Yes it will, I used it on gloss painted decks, worked well.

I should have mentioned, i use a backing peice the size of the cutout hole to support the fablon, this rests on supports under the deck, then the fablon goes right over the whole lot and onto the fixed deck with an overlap of about 1/2 to 3/4 of an inch.

clear? ??
hope so!
Ian

romainpek

« Reply #20 on: April 16, 2007, 11:25:18 am »

:o

Clear !

boatmadman

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #21 on: April 16, 2007, 12:19:19 pm »

you can even use coloured fablon if you like instead of clear! lol

Ian

romainpek

« Reply #22 on: May 12, 2007, 04:06:29 pm »

Despite your good advices, I went on with my idea to make siliconed hatches that I hope I'll never have to cut out.

I added however an "aspirin tube" access to the recharge wire that will also let me pump out the eventual leaks.

romainpek

« Reply #23 on: May 12, 2007, 04:17:33 pm »

Second flottation trial today. One hour in the swimming pool : no leaks ! (no wind also...).

The rigging is still prototype.

tigertiger

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #24 on: May 12, 2007, 04:24:29 pm »

she is looking good.
So when are you going to get some wind in her sails?
The only stupid question is the one I didn't ask
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up

Page created in 0.084 seconds with 22 queries.