Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: springer tugs  (Read 4272 times)

big bill

• Full Mayhemer
springer tugs
« on: April 22, 2012, 03:27:20 am »

gday folks , this is my first post , i hope i get it right !!
i hyave read a lot about the springer tug , and i think it is a great idea , as i require a "have a go model " for kids at goldsmith vic. au steam rally , i have started on a similar design .
i need to know more about these super springers , i have read on this post that they are blown up from the original design by 50%, approx. 710 mm loa
i have need of a rescue model for a go fast modeller , due to our excessive wind in vic , im thinking a bigger version w twin 50/65 mm props , 3:1 g/boxes+12V battery , hes boat is almost 1100 mm loa
i need plenty of push in a manuravalble hull.
 can any -one tell me the recommended size ?? or stick w 50 % blow up
thanks bill stafford Australia

big bill

• Full Mayhemer
Re: springer tugs
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2012, 10:16:01 am »

after going through the pages on springer tug , has any-one tried fitting a horizontal stabilizer , much like the diving planes of a sub , to control the nose dipping/lifting at speed ??
food for thought ??

Arrow5

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2012, 10:27:17 am »

Yes , Springer guru extraordinaire "Toesup" ( a UK ex pat living on the west coast of USA)  experimented with anti-dive devices to no avail. Have a look at the Springer pages on RCGroups.com .  A "sticky" on Dock Talk in the Boats section, a lot of reading there and the complete history of the Springer and it`s origins.  BTW I`ve got a part built X4 Springer pending spring weather to get it done. I hope to make it "manned". :o me being a kinda wee fella :}  You do know that pictures of what you decide on are mandatory...its in da rules <*<
..well can you land on this?

CGAux26

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2012, 01:27:46 am »

If I keep my Springer limited to hull speed, there is very little diving.  One Springer guru advocates keeping the prop shaft angle near zero to help with the diving problem.  My prop shaft angle is about 10 degrees and she will try to dive if over powered.

big bill

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2012, 02:49:29 am »

it seems the under water shape of the hull is the main reason springers nose dive
a friend of mine who knows more about it than me , passed a comment that these short hulled pusher tugs really need a barge tied too there bow , to control the diving tendences , i think he was right , add more power , makes this tendency larger .
this is why i started on a polo design first , a slightly longer hull + flatter under water shape , this model is still being built
i still think the springer is a great idea , especially if it gets beginners into the hobby +kids +a good distraction for ole timers , its nice to get a boat on the water in a few weeks , as most of my other designs take 2+ yrs
i will do the polo , then the larger super springer for a rescue boat , then may-be a normal sized springer , just to play with .
 regards and thanks bill s

big bill

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2012, 02:15:08 am »

has any-one tried fitting a "normal " bow shape to the front of a springer , as this would add boyancy to the bow , also ballast
any thoughts ???
bill s

Tug Fanatic

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2012, 08:14:46 am »

I haven't built a Springer but I enjoy the thread & there are a number of things that have been tried & you could try including:
1. Make the model longer.
2. Add a pointy bow which makes the model longer.
3. Make the front slope longer & shallower which makes the model longer.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Uf4L0RGl3I
4 Make a pointy & full depth bow within hull length. I would think that this could be done to be buoyancy neutral but bow wave reducing.
5. I wonder if making the deep part of the hull longer & the slope at the stern steeper to compensate might help.
6. Making the hull bottom a series of flats rather than a curve.
7. Designing your own hull from scratch.

Of course NONE of these would still be a Springer. If you search you will find that you won't be the first to have tried.

CGAux26

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2012, 04:38:20 am »

Big Bill, tying onto a barge certainly does prevent diving.  My barge is 48" x 12" and weighs about 50 lb full loaded.  Does not hurt the speed of the tug much.

big bill

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2012, 02:13:47 am »

gday folks , thank you , every-body , for your imput and advice , its much easier too ask , than build , and find out latter , i was on the wroung track , thanks  again.
 i need to add , that i am working on a super springer hull version , 710mm+300 mm , and , as such, can be a bit flexable.
 the idea of the pointy bow , was to be fitted below the water line , but not too project forward of the correct hull design, this world add boyance to the bow , also ballast too the model
the model is being built to use as a rescue vessel for a gas powered boat+club rescue/have a go model
as a have a go model , it may be way too powerfull, twin 545+3:1 tooth belts to twin 65 mm props , on 12 V
i will add photos soon , i hope to have some paint on it in the next 5/6 weeks
thanks bill
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.09 seconds with 22 queries.