Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5]   Go Down

Author Topic: Smiths Docks  (Read 20112 times)

dave301bounty

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Smiths Docks
« Reply #100 on: May 06, 2012, 08:26:18 pm »

Thank you for showing these ,,as you say ,,memories , fasinating and very true .

grayone

• Shipmate
« Reply #101 on: May 09, 2012, 08:08:58 pm »

Well now. Just goes to show what you can come up with on this site!
Are you still a "local" on Tyneside?

Hi Bryan - I am a native of Teesside and was an 'appy on the Tees and I will scan and post here my indenture papers for fun when I get home towards the end of June.  I work oversea's at the moment an am at home at infrequent intervals.

One of my memories as an apprentice was earning a few extra bob by doing night shift standbay on the ship to shore radio when ships went out on trials.  As the radio was in the main office we got to prowl about a bit and look at the fantasic shipbuilders models.  Another was of the rig the Ocen Prince breaking her moorings and heading off down river.  Or the MV Patrica the Trinity House vessel built many years before by Smith's coming in for some work and being amazed at the polished copper, brass and scrubbed teak.

An area of interest in Smith's history is the corvets as my Dad served on one (not actually built by Smith's).

Regards

Graham

Bryan Young

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #102 on: May 09, 2012, 10:32:41 pm »

Oh, Greyone.....any "teenager" during what I presume is "our period" would be enthralled by the wealth and variety of ships we could simply prowl around. No "Elf'n'Safety" in those days. Not much need for "Security" either....the gates were there to keep people "in" rather than visitors out.....open the gates and a mad dash to the local pub was the order of the day.
But my abiding memory of all those old ships would have to be the smell of them. You could actually tell what sort of trade they were in and what sort of cargoes they carried simply by "sniffing" the air within them. Hence my lifelong aversion to tankers!. BY.
Notes from a simple seaman

Norseman

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #103 on: May 11, 2012, 07:28:18 pm »

That idea takes me back to an old school friend who lived over a pub
Corner of Porter St and Regent Rd (the pub name just escapes me)
The smell of Molasses and Grain was so pungent it had a definite taste.
I don't think I could forget that if I live to be a hundred.

Dave
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5]   Go Up

Page created in 0.088 seconds with 23 queries.