Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down

Author Topic: HMS Victory Restoration  (Read 34743 times)

unbuiltnautilus

• Portsmouth Model Boat Display Team
  • Full Mayhemer
Re: HMS Victory Restoration
« Reply #50 on: May 05, 2012, 06:16:30 pm »

Much general rigging is still to be done, the task of rigging going to John and Graham this time.
Listen politely, nod approvingly, then do what you want, works for me!

unbuiltnautilus

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #51 on: May 05, 2012, 06:21:01 pm »

The stern lanterns are a combination of solid timber, fine modelling clay, and now, twisted tinned copper wire for the supports. The wire has been drilled into the base to a depth of about 30mm, also, once tinned it was soldered for extra strength. The idea is to provide a strong, yet slightly flexible support in case they recieve a knock at any time. just bend them back into position.
Paper tape has been wrapped around them, followed by three coats of blackboard paint, and finally fake glass courtesy of a 4H pencil..

unbuiltnautilus

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #52 on: May 05, 2012, 06:28:07 pm »

Considering the amount of damage the model had experienced over its years, we decided to beef it up a bit by fitting braided steel stays from each mast, to the deck. From the lower fighting tops to the deck, two running aft and outboard, and one running forward and to the next mast. I have a similar system on HMS Dolphin, with adjustable bowsies fitted, and that keeps her masts up. therefore, a more permanent system with crimps, should provide a degree of protection around them low door frames!

unbuiltnautilus

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #53 on: May 05, 2012, 06:32:52 pm »

at the end of the day, the yellow paint was looking fine, it did take about a week for the gloss finish to die down a bit though. Also, an example of the fine, and not so fine ropework on the model, this time on one of the anchors.

unbuiltnautilus

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #54 on: May 05, 2012, 06:35:47 pm »

The  final three shots of the day show the model, with bowsprit on dissapearing out through the door of the building, she may be a bit of a challenge to move when finished.

romanjohn

• Shipmate
« Reply #55 on: May 06, 2012, 05:38:51 am »

hi alan victory is looking great just had breakfast then of to beal park with graham taking trawler and H D M L  ROMANJOHN

unbuiltnautilus

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #56 on: May 16, 2012, 06:27:54 pm »

Week Six begins, John has manufactured a new aft skylight to replace the grandstand that was there originally! The aft lanterns are now fitted, Wood stain is being applied to some of the recently sanded old wood around hatches. some pillock has painted the belfy (?) yellow.

We are keeping some of the gratings, just painting them matt black. this takes the edge off their looks just a bit. They were a bit garish with the varnish on them!

The decks are being sanded back in preparation for a varnish. A cloth scrim has been bonded to the plywood base as a key for the soon to applied water effects.

unbuiltnautilus

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #57 on: May 16, 2012, 06:33:41 pm »

Its time for stripes, yellow stripes. i have been dreading this bit, shouldn't have volunteered really...

I am using photos of our 1/32 scale victory for reference. the original banding was a bit off in its positioning, to say the least. This was a 'fingers crossed' moment, that the hull details were more accurate than the original banding, as the banding would have to navigate its way around cannon ports etc, in its journey from bow to stern.

unbuiltnautilus

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #58 on: May 16, 2012, 06:38:13 pm »

The yellow paint is a satin, apparently :o. the model needs two coats of this stuff, one, a fairly fast and thin coat to key the surface, and a second coat about an hour later, and somewhat thicker. Victory looks mighty strange with what looks like black, white and yellow stripes at this point.

unbuiltnautilus

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #59 on: May 16, 2012, 06:40:53 pm »

Tape on. Tape off. The old girl is starting to look the part at last.

unbuiltnautilus

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #60 on: May 16, 2012, 06:50:05 pm »

The aft deck has just received its first coat of satin varnish, which has brought out the colour in the deck nicely. Main deck now sanded down, awaiting varnish.

The stern lanterns viewed from inboard, showing the oak flag lockers recently fitted by Colin.

You know when you stand back from a recently completed task, take one look at it, and slap your forehead? well, thats what I did once I looked at the yellow banding around the hull. The middle banding is just that bit too small. needs to be about 1/8" deeper than it is. not that much of a problem as the curve has now been established, and the lower part of the middle banding is the clearest as far as applying a new run of masking tape is concerned. So I very generously volunteered Chairman Graham to do the job on his next Wednesday visit, am I not generous?

unbuiltnautilus

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #61 on: May 16, 2012, 07:01:33 pm »

The final job of the day being the Artex Sea. Using a 10kg bag of the stuff, this turned out to be a three man job, Graham with the bucket, stirring ( Well ,he is the Chairman, we all play to our strengths! ) John, slopping on and general forming, and me, wave tickling :-)

The model will be depicted at anchor, in muddy green Solent waters. So the bow is facing into the wind, while the waves brush past the hull, heading aft. discussion with a  Naval Officer who stuck his head in, indicated that one of the first signs that you are reaching your home port of Portsmouth is the McDonalds wrappers and Coke bottles floating in the water. a short discussion followed, where we decided NOT to include a Coke bottle drifting past the stern of the ship!

That bought week 6 to an end. our next weekend was to be taken up by a big show in the dockyard at Action Stations. so no activity for the next ten days in total. time for the Artex to set :-))

unbuiltnautilus

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #62 on: May 18, 2012, 06:22:06 pm »

Week seven saw the Ratlines finished, at last. The decks were ready for the next coat of varnish, unfortunately our satin varnish had skinned over, so a coat of gloss varnish went on instead. not strictly accurate, but in the models upcoming role as a 'gate guard', it seemed totally appropriate.

The ships boats were test fitted next, Vic has been working on this part of the model 'off site' and it was good to see the results so far.

unbuiltnautilus

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #63 on: May 18, 2012, 06:30:36 pm »

Bit by bit all the Standing Rigging is being given a coat of gloss black by Graham, he seems to get stuck into the role with gusto. going home at the end of a session looking like a child coming home from a lesson in finger painting at playschool!
This week we were informed that a home has been found for the model, and will it be able to fit through a door 1.6m wide by 1.8m high? :o
Bearing in mind that the lower spar on the main mast is 1.6m wide and a bit more problematic is the fact the model is 2.75m tall at the moment....fortunately we had not attached the upper segments of the fore and main mast at this point. However, some gentle persuasion was still neccessary to lower the main mast to fit this ( rather small ) door. This has resulted in our steel hawsers going slack, defeating the main purpose of them. we can fix this, oh yes O0

unbuiltnautilus

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #64 on: May 18, 2012, 06:45:45 pm »

Time to let me loose with a paintbrush.......

The last restoration the team carried out had Mediterranean Blue seas, beautiful to look at. this time i wanted Solent Dirty Green, not quite Lee on Solent Brown, but not far off {-)
A tube of cheap acrylic blue/green, plus white and black were purchased from Wilkinsons, about 95 pence a tube ( half a dozen tubes in fact. Only needed two blue/greens and one each of white and black in the end.). Dont add more blues, just use one, and add variety with either white or black to lighten or darken it. i had a more green green, which I tried, looked pants, painted over it.

Around the hull I used almost black in the water, to simulate the hull dissapearing below the surface. this was blended out into the green water colour about 3/4" out from the hull. I also used the black effect below the transom, I can remember looking at water, in shade, around a big ship when I were little, and the overwhelming thing I remember was black water.

With this lot finished, week seven draws to a close. we are currently at week ten and this weekend should see the project completed, and I for one am looking forward to going down the lake and playing boats again! However, we dont want to get ahead of ourselves just yet....

BrianB6

• Full Mayhemer
  • I'm not sure if I can get up from here
« Reply #65 on: May 19, 2012, 06:57:45 am »

Sorry. You got the sea colour wrong!     ;D ;D
It should be flourecent green as per the S.S. Great Britain.   {-)

triumphjon

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #66 on: May 19, 2012, 08:07:12 am »

dont know what they have done to it , last time i was there it was a blueish clear , which is actually glass , your now able to walk under this to veiw the underside of the hull !  although i dont remember , i was actually present when they brought her " HOME " , as a young person we lived in st peters house , hotwells , which is directly opposite the drydock she now lives in !

unbuiltnautilus

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #67 on: May 19, 2012, 02:03:52 pm »

THE GREAT MOP ROBBERY OF OLD COLLINGWOOD TOWN.

We moved on to bowsprit work next. Working under the assumption that the model would need to be struck down slightly, to fit through a pre-determined size of hole. The bowsprit would need to be removable, otherwise it adds over 48" to the model. We decided to put the join in half way down its length.

A balsa wood spacer was fashioned to keep the bow sprit sections all running parallel to each other, however, what we needed was a tube to slide the bowsprit dowel into. This we did not have. The suggestion that we bring something next time was met by the slightly wild eyed, stir crazy members comments that we want this project finished, not delayed another three days. Following a quick scan around our prison, our eyes fell on a rack full of aluminium mops. Colin said ( yes, it was Colin..) "chop a bit off of one end of one of them!" These are MOD mops, paid for by the tax payer, you in fact. However, we reasoned, we were only recycling, not pinching anything. Nothing would be leaving the base, so what would be the problem?

Colin, with the help of Vic, pulling the mop to bits. The Chairman was not amused, I was taking photos, so not guilty.

Following the other members crime, we proceeded to bond the aluminium tube back in place.

Many thieving hands making light work of the whipping.

Once fully whipped, everything is starting to look very nice. The mop, although shorter by 4", is still fully functional. Consider it the subject of 'budget' cuts :}

unbuiltnautilus

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #68 on: May 22, 2012, 06:02:04 pm »

John has been busy, aft mast now pretty much fully rigged.

Anybody seen the fire extinguisher?

unbuiltnautilus

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #69 on: May 22, 2012, 06:08:09 pm »

As all the cordage work proceeds aloft, the boring task of chasing colours into corners goes on. Graham has been on this job, on and off, over the last two weeks, and has shown as much dedication to this cause as he has in the past towards tea. Well done :-))

Well, if you cannot be congratulated for all your hard work over the years as Chairman, you may as well receive it for something menial %)

unbuiltnautilus

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #70 on: May 22, 2012, 06:15:38 pm »

Helens cherubs are now adorning the figurehead.

The port anchor is fitted next, its original rope being glued into the appropriate hole in the bow.

Vic has the repainting of the crest well in hand.

I get the pleasure of ' dropping ' the anchors. Apparently, if anyone else drills holes in the sea, I will just moan at them for doing it wrong, doesn't sound like me at all?

unbuiltnautilus

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #71 on: May 22, 2012, 06:22:18 pm »

There was so much crud on the ships bell, that Colin took it home, put it in his lathe, and spun off all the muck at about 400rpm!

While all the work is going on aloft, there are feverish hands at work on lots of spars, yet to be fitted.

Victor has done us proud with the ships boats, and teaching Colin how to swear like an Englishman :}

John staring at the bowsprit, a position he was to occupy for the next three weeks!

unbuiltnautilus

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #72 on: May 22, 2012, 06:40:10 pm »

A quick look at our workshop for the last eight weeks. What it lacked in heating, it made up for in fresh air, what it lacked in lighting, it gained by opening the door ( and letting the fresh air in ), what it lacked in toilet facilities, it made up for by having a sink ( No, we didn't use the sink for THAT, after all, we are southerners!! ), we had a kettle and four hundred fire extinguishers, what more could you need...

With week eight under our belts, and Victory safely anchored in the centre of the artex sea, it was time for home..

unbuiltnautilus

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #73 on: May 28, 2012, 05:46:23 pm »

The lovely timber edging around the sea base has been getting progressively scruffier in the last ten weeks/thirty years. What was needed was a bit of restorer...

This stuff is fantastic, a bit on a cloth and a quick rub over the old varnish and you can see the effect. I then used it on the green canvas looking flag lockers and lifeboat covers. Not in its job description, however, it helped with the look of them.

unbuiltnautilus

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #74 on: June 02, 2012, 04:14:30 pm »

Anchors sir.
The big anchors are extremely heavy and needed to be attached properly. looking back over previous posts, they appear to be held up with sash weight cord.
John decided to secure them with a length of piano wire initially. Then added the neccessary lengths of cord from the pulley to the cathead. The results as follows..

"Dont drop that anchor on my water." A simple request you would think...crash, right on my lovely waves!

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up

Page created in 0.104 seconds with 22 queries.