Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: sheerline type7 first sail  (Read 2939 times)

uboatbuilder

• Full Mayhemer
sheerline type7 first sail
« on: April 08, 2007, 05:25:46 pm »

Hi, dad took his sheerline type 7 that he bought second hand for its first sail since he got it. all went well barring a few niggly problems such as, battery life (40-45mins run time on a 12V 4Ah charged for 18hrs+) probably invest in new battery as this one might be worn out. other than that very happy.

Grant :)

Subculture

• Full Mayhemer
    • Dive-in to Model submarines
Re: sheerline type7 first sail
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2007, 06:26:56 pm »

If you can spring for the extra cost, fit Ni-MH instead of lead acid- longer life and you'll probably get greater capacity for the weight.

Andy

uboatbuilder

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2007, 06:33:41 pm »

Would you by any chance know i could waterproof them. and make room for them. Have you done it?? if so on which boat?

Grant :)

Andy

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2007, 07:04:12 pm »

Is that Black Park Lake ?

reinhard

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2007, 09:00:02 pm »

Hi Uboatbuilder, there is probably nothing wrong with your battery. The average run time of this boat is about what you have experienced using that capacity of battery. I also have a Sheerline type V11, and have the same problem, which is why I now take a spare battery to the pond.

Subculture

• Full Mayhemer
    • Dive-in to Model submarines
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2007, 09:16:12 pm »

Yes I've waterproofed batteries.

I tend to place my batteries inside the with the cylinder with the rest of the gubbins. In your case however, you could make a small tube up and sling the cells underneath the cylinder.

This will improve you boats handling too.

The tube can be U-pvc (plumber supplies)and the endcaps made up from plastic sheet i.e. perspes, ABS etc.

Seal it all together with silicone sealant.

Make sure you have a vent in the tube for charging. This can be a small hole drilled in one endcap. This can be waterproffed using a small screw and a rubber seal (o-ring etc.)

Andy

Turbulent

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2007, 09:24:16 pm »

Have a look at my Trafalgar refit thread, it's on here somewhere.

http://www.modelboatmayhem.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=1072.0
(Admin)

sheerline

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2007, 10:47:18 pm »

Hello all, Unfortunately, this model of the the type 7 will not accomodate cells underneath the dive unit as there is no room, the keel is not deep enough. If it were possible to raise the dive unit at all, the best you could do would be to fit 'c' size cells and with that size of battery, even using NiMh types, the best capacity would still only be 4.5Ahr which is what you have with the lead acid battery you have in the boat now. You might be able to sqeeze them into the dive unit but there would be no point and in any case, I personally would'nt recommend putting batteries in there.
I think it may benefit from a new lead acid battery being fitted whilst at the same time accepting the limitations it provides on run time.
Carrying a spare battery in your box is a good idea provided you are prepared for possible discrepencies in weight found between different batteries and the subsequent trim change you may experience when fitting it.

This boat has direct drive motors feeding 35mm,3 blade props and it has been suggested low current motors or motor/ box reduction drives would cut down the current drain but unfortunately, the resultant loss in prop rpm means the boat would have greatly reduced propulsion and would be too slow. I am of the opinion that options on mods are very limited and the boat works fine as it is as long as you accept it has a limited range.
It is for all the above reasons that I addressed all the limitations of the Type7 and created the Type2D.
Very pleased to see you have taken the bull by the horns and gone for the 'plunge' Dino. It looks as though you have had a good day out..... I told you you would!
Kind regards.......... Chris 

Mankster

• Full Mayhemer
  • Wheelerdealer
    • RC Model Submarines
« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2007, 11:52:12 pm »

Glad it all worked out  :) Did you get any shots of her runing submerger or just below?

gary r uk

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2007, 07:51:43 am »

Hi
I have shots of this boat sitting on the bottom my wife will do the editting today & send them off to Holmsey for posting
cheers
gary r
SAILING WITHOUT FAST ELECTRICS PRICELESS
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.152 seconds with 22 queries.