Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Titanic II  (Read 2048 times)

CF-FZG

• Full Mayhemer
Titanic II
« on: April 30, 2012, 08:06:50 am »

I don't know if any of you have seen this {:-{

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-17890754

Mark.
Mark.

Tonka Toys - Big boys toys :)

essex2visuvesi

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Titanic II
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2012, 08:09:42 am »

Not something I think I would want to travel on
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity
Proud member of the OAM  (Order of the Armchair Modeller)
Junior member of the OGG  (Order of the Grumpy Git)

Peter Fitness

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2012, 08:27:51 am »

I hadn't seen that, Mark, but Clive Palmer is a very unpopular man in football circles here in Australia. He obviously has more money than he knows what to do with, so he bought a football team licence in the A League, called Gold Coast United http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gold_Coast_United_FC

As the Wikipedia article says, the team was very competitive for a couple of seasons, but crowd support was low. This support was made worse when Clive Palmer capped the home game attendance figure at 5000, as he had to pay the stadium owners more money if the attendance was higher than that. This went down like a lead balloon and, coupled with friction between Palmer, the players and the coaching staff, the club became precariously unstable so the licence was taken from Palmer. He appears to be a typical wealthy spoilt brat who, if he doesn't get his own way, takes his bat and ball and goes home.

If he does build a Titanic replica, he will probably want to skipper it himself. I won't be sailing on it.

Peter.

Neil

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2012, 10:11:09 am »

that old red herring.....it's been mooted for years by entrepreneurs falling from grace and then wanting some limelight to resuract their strugling empires.......
bet my lifeboat  on it that by 2016 there WON'T be another  Titanic on the horizon......just a fatter bank ballance from the press coverage the chap got...........am I cynical or what??

Rottweiler

• Full Mayhemer
TITANIC REBUILD
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2012, 12:49:49 pm »

Just when we thought it was safe to go back on the water... an Australian Billionaire has supposedly placed an order with a Chinese Shipyard, to build an exact full size replica of the Titanic ! It will have modern propulsion, and the funnels will be false but used for things like restaurants. I hope they include waterproof bulkheads and lifeboats in the design!

PS I don't know if it already April 1st in Aussieland!!

john s 2

• Full Mayhemer
Re: TITANIC REBUILD
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2012, 01:04:13 pm »

Yes ive read this as well. If it looks like the original then in a way it would be nice to see a liner of that style in the metal so to speak. Time will tell. Pity its Chinese built. John.

TailUK

• Full Mayhemer
Re: TITANIC REBUILD
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2012, 01:15:34 pm »

Sounds like tempting Fate to me.
No human society has ever functioned without models to capture, explain,disseminate,
persuade, sell, reinforce and analyse all kinds of ideas, values, concepts and situations.

sjoormen

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2012, 03:42:00 pm »

What about hull, riveted or welded. Just crossed my mind  is it even possible to rivet such big objects these days?

Peter Fitness

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2012, 11:59:22 pm »

that old red herring.....it's been mooted for years by entrepreneurs falling from grace and then wanting some limelight to resurrect their strugling empires.......
bet my lifeboat  on it that by 2016 there WON'T be another  Titanic on the horizon......just a fatter bank balance from the press coverage the chap got...........am I cynical or what??
Your cynicism is well founded, Neil. Clive Palmer may well be clever at what he does, but he comes across as a prat in other things.

Peter.

RAAArtyGunner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2012, 07:39:49 am »

When questioned on local (Brisbane) TV about the hole in the current Titanic, Palmer said it would be built to be unsinkable. %% %% %%

He is also going to run for parliament against the Federal treasurer? {-) {-) {-)
Gunna build those other boats one day.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.092 seconds with 22 queries.