Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Digital Cameras  (Read 4592 times)

justboatonic

• Full Mayhemer
Digital Cameras
« on: April 29, 2012, 12:53:36 pm »

Im considering a new digital camera as my current jobbie, a fuji finepix is well past its sell by date.

So, I've been having a look at various ones, spec and price etc. I seem to have concentrated on Panasonic and three in particular. These are the DMC FZ100 http://www.panasonic.co.uk/html/en_GB/Products/LUMIX+Digital+Cameras/Superzoom+Cameras/DMC-FZ100/Specification/5435593/index.html?trackInfo=true

and the DMC G2
http://www.panasonic.co.uk/html/en_GB/Products/LUMIX+Digital+Cameras/LUMIX+G+Compact+System+Cameras/DMC-G2/Overview/3595681/index.html?view=&colourVar=DMC-G2KEB-R

or the DMC FZ48
http://www.panasonic.co.uk/html/en_GB/Products/LUMIX+Digital+Cameras/Superzoom+Cameras/DMC-FZ48/Overview/7902620/index.html

Obviously, Im look at each for less than the manufacturers web prices!

One consideration is, I wiould want any camera to be good for general shots and also for fixing to a Celestron telescope to snap pictures of the night sky. I like the fact that the FZ100 has a swivel screen for taking shots at awkward angles is a bit easier. I think only the G2 has interchangable lens but these are silly prices so in reality, I'd stick to what it came with even though the zoom seems limiting. It also comes with a swivel screen which I like.

Tesco was doing the G2 for £200 (which was a great price) but I didnt go for it due to the zoom issue.

So, any camera experts out there, could they summarise from me in laymans terms which of the above is the best value camera that does the most things very well?

Thanks

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
Re: Digital Cameras
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2012, 02:15:28 pm »

DMC-FZ48

LUMIX Hybrid Super Zoom Digital Camera
    24x Optical Zoom Lens From 25mm Wide-angle and 32x Intelligent Zoom
    F2.8 LEICA DC Lens with Nano Surface Coating Technology and Hi-speed CCD
    Full HD Video with Higher Transfer Processing Speed CCD
    POWER O.I.S. Active Mode Supressing Hand-shake Blur in Video Recording
    Creative Video Mode, Creative Control and Photo Style
    Sonic Speed AF, iA Mode and 3D Photo Mode

DMC-G2

LUMIX G Micro System - Interchangeable Lens Digital Camera
    Touch-screen Free-angle LCD & Contrast AF System
    Dual Full-time Live View for LCD & LVF
    12.1-megapixel Live MOS Sensor & Intelligent Resolution Technology
    My Colour Mode, Peripheral Defocus Mode & Motion Picture P Mode
    HD Movie AVCHD Lite & HDMI Compatibility
    LUMIX G VARIO 14-42mm/F3.5-5.6 ASPH./MEGA O.I.S.

DMC-FZ100

LUMIX Hybrid Super Zoom Digital Camera
    25mm Wide-angle 24x Optical Zoom f/2.8-5.2 LEICA DC VARIO-ELMARIT lens
    1,920 x 1,080 Full-HD Movie in AVCHD with Dolby Digital Stereo Creator
    14.1-megapixel MOS Sensor and Venus Engine FHD
    iA (Intelligent Auto) Mode with Motion Deblur Mode and POWER O.I.S.
    Intuitive Manual Control and Creative Option Featuring My Colour Mode

"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2012, 02:16:44 pm »

I know it's of no help but just help but saves time looking them up.   :D
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

Tug Fanatic

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2012, 02:46:51 pm »

I have just purchased a Panasonic FZ150 but I obviously looked at the others.

One of the basic problems with Bridge cameras is that they have very small sensors which don't like anything other than good light. The small sensor is the only way that you are going to get a zoom lense that long within a reasonably small physical size. Just go & look at a DSLR 600mm lense & you will see what I mean. I also don't think that the zoom range that bridge camera buyers demand is available in DSLR at any price or size.

What happens in less than perfect light is that the picture gets grainy or noisy. How much this matters depends on what you are going to do with the picture. If you only want small prints, to view on a computer or TV etc then it most probably won't matter but as soon as you start cropping pictures or having large prints it does. Some cameras are much worse at this than others. Manufacturers traditionally tried to shove as many pixels as possible on the chip & the uninformed naive buyer - prompted by the uninformed or commission greedy salesman -  was impressed by how many megapixels the camera had - out of interest a 1020 HD TV picture is barely 2Mp. For the first time in 2011 manufacturers took a step backward in megpixels which together with new sensor design reduced the noise problem considerably on some cameras.

Of the cameras you mention the FZ48 was reasobable but the FZ100 was not. The FZ150 despite looking the same is the best - but it is reflected in the price.

The DMC G2 is different altogether. It is more like a DSLR but with a slightly smaller sensor and as a result suffers less from the noise problems. Unfortunately this means that the zoom range of the lense is much reduced and extra lenses are expensive. It might also mean carrying round extra lenses.

Ther is no such thing as "the best" camera or we would all buy the same thing. I wanted the zoom range and flexibility of a bridge camera and found the noise of the FZ150 acceptable. I would not have been happy with the FZ48 nor the FZ100 - & I tried both. I did not try the DMC-G2.

I suggest going to somewhere like Jessops with a memory card. Ignore what you are told but try the cameras & take some pictures, including into low light areas of the shop, & you will soon see the differences when you get them home & start blowing them up.

A bit of reading (note the FZ47 & FZ48 are the same camera for different markets):

http://www.cameralabs.com/reviews/Panasonic_Lumix_DMC_FZ150/verdict.shtml

nemesis

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2012, 05:10:20 pm »

Hi, Quite comprehensive revue, Thank You, Nemesis

baloo

• Full Mayhemer
  • I`M YOUR FRIENDLY TRUCKER
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2012, 06:29:12 pm »

If you like fugi then go to your local "ASDA" and see the new range that all asda stores have.If you are fed up with fugi try there nikkon range.The cost is cheaper than you think.Baloo

justboatonic

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2012, 07:55:25 pm »

Thanks Martin & Tug fantastic.

TF, are you into photography as a hobby? TBH, I appreciate there is no 'best' camera and just want something that will take a good picture for the few times that I want to take them. I want something that is pretty much point and shoot. I suppose I could get something around the £100 - £150 mark but havent seen anything that appeals.

I did look at the FZ150 but it really is outside the price range I want to pay for what I want to do.

Scalloway41

• Shipmate
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2012, 08:49:17 pm »

Best advice I ever had about buying a camera was to try it....
You need to make sure it is comfortable to grip, can reach the buttons and switches and things easily without causing the camera to shake and spoiling your pic.
I bought a Nikon d500 a while ago to replace a worn out d40 and what I did is, having a rough idea of what I wanted, went round a few shops, currys, comet, pc world and jessops and tried a lot of cameras. I nearly ended up with a cannon but could not quite get on with the shutter release.
It took me about two weeks to make up my mind and when I did I looked around on tinternet to see who was offering the best deal.
Feel and comfort and ease of use is far more important than looks.
Course non of that matters if you have your heart set on something  :}
Hope this helps
Davy
Lang may yer lum reek on idder fowks peats.

irishcarguy

• Full Mayhemer
  • Happiness is running from a grizzly and escaping
    • Britishcars International. org.
« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2012, 09:26:24 pm »

I have done photography as a hobby for over 25 years & have a range of top of the line Nikon stuff to make the average person green with envy. That said none of it was digital. We were going to Maui for a holiday this Xmas & New Year & I decided to buy a point & shoot for ease of operation.I did a fair bit of research & bought a Nikon Coolpix P500 & am more than happy with the results, in fact I can't sometimes believe how much it is able to do & is also a very good video camera & records in HD.( we have a top of the line Panasonic video camera too, the Nikon video recording is just as good  ) It cost $299.00. 10 years ago there was nothing on the market @ any price that would match this camera. The only limits are your imagination & skill level. I would buy it again in a heart beat. Mick B. PS = Feel free to PM me if you have any questions or I can give you a call if you want.
Mick B.

justboatonic

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2012, 09:51:45 pm »

You need to make sure it is comfortable to grip, can reach the buttons and switches and things easily without causing the camera to shake and spoiling your pic.
I bought a Nikon d500 a while ago to replace a worn out d40 and what I did is, having a rough idea of what I wanted, went round a few shops, currys, comet, pc world and jessops and tried a lot of cameras. I nearly ended up with a cannon but could not quite get on with the shutter release.
It took me about two weeks to make up my mind and when I did I looked around on tinternet to see who was offering the best deal.
Feel and comfort and ease of use is far more important than looks.
Course non of that matters if you have your heart set on something  :}
Hope this helps
Davy

Yes, I agree. That's why Im considering something like the Panasonic ones. I cant get on with the 'slb' type of digi cameras of which there are lots. I intend to do the reverse of what you did though ie look for ones that look like the type and spec I want, then, go check them out in the shops for feel etc. Then I'll try and get a better deal in store than the net price. If I dont get a better price, then I'll get it over the net.

BTW, it doesnt have to be Panasonic. It's just the Panasonic had many of the features I wanted ie swivel screen, the form factor, it's own battery pack (not AA cells), JPEG HD video etc. The Sony Cybershot DSC-HX100V is another contender at a sub £300 level.

justboatonic

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2012, 09:55:51 pm »

I have done photography as a hobby for over 25 years & have a range of top of the line Nikon stuff to make the average person green with envy. That said none of it was digital. We were going to Maui for a holiday this Xmas & New Year & I decided to buy a point & shoot for ease of operation.I did a fair bit of research & bought a Nikon Coolpix P500 & am more than happy with the results, in fact I can't sometimes believe how much it is able to do & is also a very good video camera & records in HD.( we have a top of the line Panasonic video camera too, the Nikon video recording is just as good  ) It cost $299.00. 10 years ago there was nothing on the market @ any price that would match this camera. The only limits are your imagination & skill level. I would buy it again in a heart beat. Mick B. PS = Feel free to PM me if you have any questions or I can give you a call if you want.

The Nikon CoolPix 510 which I presume is the current version, retails for about £330 here so that would be around US $500. I'll give it the once over for specs etc.

justboatonic

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #11 on: April 29, 2012, 09:58:24 pm »

Quick question, what does it mean if a camera is said to have a digital zoom x 2 and optical zoom x 40!?

Stavros

« Reply #12 on: April 29, 2012, 10:06:01 pm »

Been Taking photographs for over 30 years,used to have Pentax gear now got Canon Gear that would make some Pro's green with envy Canon 50d and 7d with L lenses bUT got a Canon Compact for my pocket cracking camera,well worth a look at

Dave

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #13 on: April 29, 2012, 10:29:21 pm »

Quick question, what does it mean if a camera is said to have a digital zoom x 2 and optical zoom x 40!?

Optical zoom is Mechanical - better, real zoom, uses the whole detector.
Digital zoom is a software frig - usually lower quality, grainy.

DEFINITELY!

I bough at Fujifilm FinePix HS10 used it a couple of time and have now gone back to my low end and much older - Fujifilm s5700. quicker, smoother and nicer to operate.

wbeedie

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #14 on: April 29, 2012, 11:11:22 pm »

Just got a Lumix 10, the lens it came with is quite good just doesnt have the distance zoom, only 14-42mm but just got the 100-300mm lens , although this was £400 plus I thought it a very good bye especially with the Image stabiliser ,and if this is the way t=you want to go ie lenses,filters and a dslr camera then I would advise this one but for a point and shoot, I had great pics with a Canon Powershot S110 ,just the dogs danglies, but my one died a death sitting in boats wheelhouses , the dampness and juddering about punching into weather did the damage but I thought as a replacement I was going to get the G1 but was on Amazon and got the G10 for half the retail price it was shop soiled , the box had collapsed and love it but most pics I have been taking recentl is with my mobile (Nokia Lumia) is the relults so I definately am not complaining

bobdoc

« Reply #15 on: April 30, 2012, 09:55:48 am »

I have two digital cameras having come into that fairly late - much of my photo activities have been in theaters (legitimately!) and it took a lot of doing to move away from my 30 year-old optical film Minoltas with two bodies and 4 lenses  {:-{.

I have bought three, ever: all Panasonic: DMC FZ50 and DMC-TZ20 - the predecessor of the latter was left on a tube train!

For formal work, I still prefer the slightly aging FZ50 to do my more "formal" work because I am fully comfortable with settlings, grip, light expectation, etc. All that means I can concentrate on composition, focus and depth of field.

The TZ20 is a great little camera with gazillions of pixels. Great or with shaping an image properly and also for simple point and shoot then editing back on the computer.

Plus points for both these cameras: Panasonic image stabilisation if really good and the digitial zoom excellent. Both have good ambient light management, so much so I rarely use flash except for fill-in for the shadows on close objects

The downside for the TZ20 is the GPS: if I forget to turn it off, it just eats the battery power!

I hope this helps

Bob

baloo

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #16 on: April 30, 2012, 05:45:08 pm »

The fugi fine pix s4000 (£144)for the price and quick shooting could be ideal for what you want.

http://www.fujifilm.eu/uk/products/digital-cameras/bridge/model/finepix-s4000-s4080/

baloo

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #17 on: April 30, 2012, 05:51:44 pm »

Just  to let you know what the fugi S4000 photo`s are like

Bryan Young

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #18 on: April 30, 2012, 06:15:55 pm »

Cameras are like cars. You can buy one as a status symbol or buy one that simply does the job you need it for.
Forget the "digital" bit...the quality of the camera still revolves around the lens. In other words, you get what you pay for.
Cameras with an almost identical spec can be as different as chalk and cheese.
I tried out a fair number of cameras before I settled on my Canon SX30. Not as pricey as a top of the range Canon or Nikon...but then I really don't want to heave around multiple lenses again. So my choice "does the job"....a lot better than similar but cheaper similar spec items. The electronic bits are fairly standard ....it's the lens quality that counts. BY.
Notes from a simple seaman

justboatonic

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #19 on: April 30, 2012, 10:36:55 pm »

The fugi fine pix s4000 (£144)for the price and quick shooting could be ideal for what you want.

http://www.fujifilm.eu/uk/products/digital-cameras/bridge/model/finepix-s4000-s4080/

Thanks, Baloo. I'll investigate this.

@BY. I agree with you to a degree but there are two important considerations. One, the camera will likely last me 10 years (the last one has!). Two, yes, I can buy one of those slab type digital cameras that will do the same job but, I dont find them comfy to hold and am not sure they would fulfill one of my other criteria of being good to use with a telescope for sky gazing (might be, I dont know!).
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.088 seconds with 22 queries.