Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Zeebrugge Raid  (Read 1015 times)

raflaunches

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
  • The Penguins are coming!!!
Zeebrugge Raid
« on: April 29, 2012, 06:26:02 pm »

Hi everyone

Just finished reading about the Zeebrugge and Ostend Raids in 1918 by the Royal Navy.  You can see where the St Nazaire Raid planners got their inspiration from, in my opinion it should be considered to be the 'Mother of the Greatest Raid of All'.  Whilst it could be considered a failure with regards to the original plan of blocking the canals plugging the torpedo boats and u-boats in, however the book says that the raids were instrumental in ending the great war because Germany's financial backers relised that the Royal Navy still controlled, and could do what it wanted in the North Sea.  They withdrew their support forcing Germany to rely on itself leading to the surrender in November 1918.
What the book did not say was who were Germany's Financial backers in WW1?  I thought that like Britian that all economics ceased throughout the war and had to rely on its own treasury to fund the war effort.  I know Germany had Allies (Austria-Hungary) but who would have enough money to make that kind of difference for Germany not to afford to fund its war effort?
Any ideas?

Nick B
Nick B

Help! The penguins have stolen my sanity, and my hot water bottle!

Illegitimi non carborundum!
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.083 seconds with 21 queries.