Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 [21] 22 23 24 25 26 27   Go Down

Author Topic: Bob's H.M.S. Polyphemus  (Read 243389 times)

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
Re: H.M.S. Polyphemus (1881), not quite a submarine
« Reply #500 on: March 25, 2015, 09:58:51 pm »

There is the alternate scenario Bob  .......I am sure I remember reading such a story in the dim dark past  O0.....

'After extensive sea trials, and due to the unique hull design, the Lords of the Admilitary gave the order to reverse the handing of the ships propeller's'

So that image from Chatham Dockyard just about the turn of the Century must have been the docking where the props were reversed for their final life stage......

Lots of such major modification work occurred during Naval refits in those days........just ask any dockyard worker who was there  %)

Yes.......fully agree :-))....leave those two 50 mm special Victorian ‘crocus’ propellers them as they are......Derek
Derek Warner

Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op
Australia
www.ils.org.au

Bob K

• Bob K
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #501 on: March 25, 2015, 10:13:34 pm »

Thanks guys.  I was getting worried there.   :D

Just finished painting the stanchions today.  I will paint the rails tomorrow, then I can start fitting the superstructure parts.  ie:  Some of the rails almost touch the turrets etc, so essential to paint them whilst I can access all sides. 
HMS Skirmisher (1905), HMS Amazon (1906), HMS K9 (1915), Type 212A (2002), HMS Polyphemus (1881), Descartes (1897), Iggle Piggle boat (CBBC), HMS Royal Marine (1943), HMS Marshall Soult, HMS Agincourt (1912)

PICKETBOAT

• PICKETBOAT
  • Full Mayhemer
  • "History in the making"
    • Chylds Hall Model Shipyard
« Reply #502 on: March 26, 2015, 07:46:03 am »

This model is looking very good and I watch with interest.
Be careful with the solder paint. Some has quite corrosive flux in it which remains active after the job is done and the temperature drops. I usually try and clean the surface before painting. In this case cotton buds and meths? I have had paint flake off as the acid continues to react under the paint.
Keep the posts coming.   

Bob K

• Bob K
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #503 on: March 26, 2015, 08:06:57 am »

Thank you Picketboat.  Your warning came a bit late as the stanchions were painted yesterday. However, I have not had problems with the Carrs product before.  Good point though.  I will bear that in mind next time.

PS:  I had tried to take the first picture in reply #494 at a similar angle to the actual ship shown in #493, by way of a direct comparison. 
HMS Skirmisher (1905), HMS Amazon (1906), HMS K9 (1915), Type 212A (2002), HMS Polyphemus (1881), Descartes (1897), Iggle Piggle boat (CBBC), HMS Royal Marine (1943), HMS Marshall Soult, HMS Agincourt (1912)

ballastanksian

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem inspires me!
« Reply #504 on: March 26, 2015, 10:45:58 pm »

Thanks for the information Picketboat. I read in an old model warship building book about acid fluxes and their nasty after effects. This chap, a retired Colonel used to make tinplate ships and used Fluxite all over it even on his plate shaping tools as this did not corrode. I think it caused lesser effects similar to that of grease if not cleaned off porperly, but still, I will keep an eye out for acid based fluxes in any solder paste I buy.

Pond weed is your enemy

dreadnought72

• Full Mayhemer
  • Wood butcher with ten thumbs
« Reply #505 on: March 27, 2015, 04:23:22 am »

Colonel Bachelor. I was (still am!) impressed with his results the first time I saw them.

Andy
Enjoying every minute sailing W9465 Mertensia

ballastanksian

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #506 on: March 27, 2015, 09:38:41 am »

Yes, his work is pretty much like the real thing. I would like to have a go at a tin plate hull one day. I expect they will have discontinued production of Fluxite by then!
Pond weed is your enemy

Bob K

• Bob K
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #507 on: March 27, 2015, 09:56:14 am »

Just a word on Carrs 188 solder paint, before people are put off by other soldering techniques.
It consists of solder in powder form, plus an active flux not too dissimilar to that in multicore solder.
Applied just to the joint to be soldered with a very small brush, it keeps solder just to that area and allows a rapid joint without heating up the whole area. The flux effectively boils off, and as long as you keep the soldering iron bit clean you should get minimal residue, no more than a regular soldered joint using multicore solder.
Personally I lightly 'tin' the bit with multicore then very briefly 'touch' to make the joint.
I have never had any issues, or problems with paint afterwards.

Bob K

• Bob K
  • Full Mayhemer
Re: H.M.S. Polyphemus (1881), more detail
« Reply #508 on: March 27, 2015, 02:13:58 pm »

More detail assemblies being constructed.  eg:  Sets of steps between main deck and f'o'c's'le.

Also shows how deck rails, originally fitted on side of hull, were 'nobbled' into main deck as decks are detachable.

ballastanksian

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #509 on: March 27, 2015, 08:36:19 pm »

Neat idea. Rails and stanchions seem to be the bane of the model ship maker.
Pond weed is your enemy

Bob K

• Bob K
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #510 on: March 29, 2015, 05:41:54 pm »

Spent a couple of days getting carried away, making ready racks with three Nordenfeldt magazines each for the inside walls of the turrets.  A bit like the coffee cup and maps in the Chart Room, 99% will never peer in that close.  %%

Superstructures now have their ventilators and searchlights etc. Holes drilled for the single hole railings.
Could not get quite the right size of companionways so having the reduce the widths by about 3mm.  The stair tread joins will not show when I add the planks on the steps.  All takes time.

After that it will be making tarpaulins for the ships boats, then the davits.

Bob K

• Bob K
  • Full Mayhemer
Re: H.M.S. Polyphemus (1881), Topping Out
« Reply #511 on: April 01, 2015, 01:56:25 pm »

HMS Polyphemus (1881), Topping Out

Topping Out
This week I have been completing the islands and other superstructure tops.  Fitting 7 more ventilators, searchlights, and single rail railings.  Six companionways, each with rails and wood stair treads added.  The foremost pair required clear acrylic supports as both the f’o’c’s’le and main deck come off separately.  ie: steps cannot be attached at the top.

superstructure

Ammunition racks added inside turrets, each of which has a clear ‘section’ so inside workings are visible.  Maybe a tad OTT, but such a waste to have such detailed 3D printed Nordenfeldts’ and not be able to see them. Turrets and turret domes painted and now fitted. 

Turrets

(PS:  Gauze in centre superstructure is for sound system outlet.)

Funnel will be challenging as this is fixed to the watertight hatch for the mister unit.  The main deck assembly withdraws over the funnel.  I need to add various tubes and funnel top detail, so am figuring out how I can do this. 

Lots more still to do, but it seems to be going together well.  I need to start planning a carry case as there is / will be too much fragile stuff in overhanging or vulnerable locations. 

tonyH

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem Forum is the Best!
« Reply #512 on: April 01, 2015, 04:44:46 pm »

Hells Teeth Bob, it's a stunner!

I should think that you're worried about what you're going to do next %)

Tony

PICKETBOAT

• PICKETBOAT
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #513 on: April 01, 2015, 06:17:40 pm »

Bob

You are doing an excellent job. I like the idea of the clear supports for the companion ways, where the supporting deck lifts off. I sometimes resort to having larger removable items (lifeboats, storage lockers etc) which locate on pins, where such items bridge the gap between fixed and lift off sections of deck. These have the added advantage of obscuring the "break line". Removing them individually before lifting off the deck section is not however something I would consider doing at the pond side.
Regarding your next build, I assume you are already aware of this site which will almost certainly make your mouth water. So many models to build, so little time.

http://www.dreadnoughtproject.org/tfs/index.php/Category:Ship_Plans

Bob K

• Bob K
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #514 on: April 01, 2015, 08:35:37 pm »

Thanks Tony.  Getting to this stage owes much to a certain Vibrosaw, and a long climb up Alley Pally hill.  :-))

Picketboat:  Cheers!  Being a semi submersible the complete hull length requires access, having six full watertight compartments.  Thus the complete Main Deck, plus the F'o'c's'le Deck, need to come off.  All the controls and charging sockets are under the smaller foredeck which makes life easier for operational usage. 
I agree not a good idea to have mini assemblies to remove lake-side.

Flying Deck walkways

Next project already begun.  Iggle Piggle boat from CBBC TV 'In The Night Garden'.

ballastanksian

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #515 on: April 01, 2015, 10:35:02 pm »

I really love all the curved plate work on the superstructure and the deatail like the chart table. This is redolent of later destroyers which also had waterproof pram hoods and a little window to keep the worst of the spray/waves off of the maps. Gorgeous work Bob.
Pond weed is your enemy

Bob K

• Bob K
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #516 on: April 02, 2015, 08:35:48 am »

I too like those old bridge 'pram hoods' and other such early contraptions.  Plate work turned out one of my favourite jobs after a local printer kindly donated a pack of used Litho plates. They cut and shape nicely, fitting with contact adhesive, using templates retained from superstructure building.  With a fine tip Biro joins are scored on the outside and rivets pressed from the inside.  Another skill learned from reading Mayhem.
Thank you for your kind words.  Detailing is my favourite part of building.

PICKETBOAT

• PICKETBOAT
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #517 on: April 02, 2015, 08:52:39 am »

Bob

Have you discovered the self adhesive aluminium foil tape? It's a little thinner than litho plate and easier to work over double curvatures, can be embossed the same way to form rivets etc and is not expensive. This self adhesive tape sticks well to smooth non absorbent surfaces.
Readily available from the builders merchant. I use it all the time. No good below the water line on working models as it's too fragile. 

ballastanksian

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #518 on: April 02, 2015, 11:25:46 pm »

A friend in the embossing and stamping indsutry gave me a roll of matt and polished tape with adhesive backing some time back. I did not consider it for model ship building. Your Blog along with those of the other members like Joe are inspiring and most enjoyable. I find the days without any activity a bit dull as regards internet activity. I must set to and update my destroyer thread.

Pond weed is your enemy

Bob K

• Bob K
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #519 on: April 03, 2015, 09:05:54 am »

No, I have not seen such foil tape, or used it.  Might be worth a trial to see how it goes.  It does sound fragile in terms of any raised detail though.  Litho is workable but reasonably ‘hard’.  Where detail spans facetted areas I normally use separate pieces as per the original.  There were practical limits as to double curvatures back in 1881.

Even working a good building session every day it can often be a week until progress is illustratable as parts are mostly scratch built.  Sorry.  No Live Shipyard Cam here (tee hee).  Too many expletives for OFCOM license.   :D

Lots of foredeck detail to do, ships boats, davits, mast and rigging, carry case.  It could be at least another month, but still aiming for Mayhem weekend.

dreadnought72

• Full Mayhemer
  • Wood butcher with ten thumbs
« Reply #520 on: April 03, 2015, 06:51:27 pm »

Congratulations on >30k build views, Bob.

(Commiserations that a couple of hundred are probably mine!)

Andy
Enjoying every minute sailing W9465 Mertensia

Bob K

• Bob K
  • Full Mayhemer
Re: H.M.S. Polyphemus (1881), Davits
« Reply #521 on: April 03, 2015, 09:34:47 pm »

HMS Polyphemus (1881), Davits

Sorry Andy, this project has indeed been a long one.  Thanks for your perseverance.

Davits

I already have the aftermost pairs of davit mountings secured to the sides of the hull.  The foremost pairs mount from the main deck and flying deck edge, and although well inboard of the hull a crane-boom on the mast plus a couple of large hand winches allowed them to be swung outboard for launching when required.  Not so clear is how the boom can swing either side of the standing rigging. 

The real anomaly is the single boat alongside the chart house, above the turrets.  According to the plans and at least one photo the davits for these were mounted from the hull side, unsupported, and really high.  Other photos, and pictures of a superb model of her, show the davits mounted from the flying deck edge as above, but with very long horizontal arms so could be launched without a crane boom.   There are also photos with this boat and davits omitted.  Conundrum. 

See also photo #493

I decided on the inboard option with long overhanging arms as this gave the best field of fire for the guns.  Still, 100mm tall and a 40mm reach looks strange, but this boat has to be above the turrets.

3mm brass tube for the supports with 2mm solid brass arms.  Supports drilled into deck and with soldered flanges epoxied to underside of flying decks.
Plasticard top flanges can thus be more ‘scale’ than structural.

Davit mountings

At least this 'supported' option should be less vulnerable to damage.

ballastanksian

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #522 on: April 03, 2015, 10:28:30 pm »

For sanity at the pond side, I would have ommitted them, or made them removable and just fit them when on display at shows or when on the mantle piece:O)

They look pretty good though, and I hope they do not stress the superstructure.
Pond weed is your enemy

Bob K

• Bob K
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #523 on: April 04, 2015, 01:07:46 am »

There are 7 boats in all.  The flying decks are pretty solid, and the upper parts of the davits can be replaced for repair.  As with most ships of this era the rearmost boats and stern detail tend to be the most vulnerable in transport and usage.
Had I opted for the side mounted centre boat the likelihood of ripping that out would have been higher.
On all warships flag staffs and upper masts tend to be easiest to snag and break. On this one my intention is to build a protective transport case.

radiojoe

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #524 on: April 04, 2015, 04:49:13 pm »

Hi Bob, just realised that this is your build, you certainly know what your talking about when it comes to detail you don't shy away from anything, :-))  a very interesting ship, I'll keep watching.   ;) 
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 [21] 22 23 24 25 26 27   Go Up

Page created in 0.112 seconds with 21 queries.