Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 [23] 24 25 26 27   Go Down

Author Topic: Bob's H.M.S. Polyphemus  (Read 243373 times)

pugwash

• Full Mayhemer
  • Location: recently left Amble and now in the wet Northumberland hills
Re: H.M.S. Polyphemus (1881), not quite a submarine
« Reply #550 on: April 21, 2015, 07:34:22 pm »

Bob

Having problems with trying to post a message here?

"Waiting for some 3mm wide double sided ribbon for the crossed-over restraining straps, to limit the lifeboats swing in a seaway."

If you want I can let you have a couple of meters of flat section off white woven thread 3mm by 0.75mm, which looks just like the woven manilla bands they used for this job.

Send a PM if you want some, FOC.

Just for your info these bands are called gripes

Geoff
Failing to prepare means preparing to fail.

Netleyned

• Full Mayhemer
    • cleethorpes mba
« Reply #551 on: April 21, 2015, 07:51:18 pm »

There's always someone with a gripe  {-) {-)

Ned
Smooth seas never made skilful sailors
Up Spirits  Stand fast the Holy Ghost.
http://www.cleethorpesmba.co.uk/

Bob K

• Bob K
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #552 on: April 21, 2015, 08:55:41 pm »

Many thanks Picketboat.  PM sent.

Not knowing the correct nautical term for something does make it harder to research. Thank you Pugwash.
I did find some nice photos of a NMM warship lifeboat model of the era showing the rigging details
HMS Skirmisher (1905), HMS Amazon (1906), HMS K9 (1915), Type 212A (2002), HMS Polyphemus (1881), Descartes (1897), Iggle Piggle boat (CBBC), HMS Royal Marine (1943), HMS Marshall Soult, HMS Agincourt (1912)

ballastanksian

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem inspires me!
« Reply #553 on: April 21, 2015, 09:21:50 pm »

When a model this good has it's construction and design demonstrated, there is no limit to time other than the builders desire to complete it and either mount it on the mantlepice, or get on the pond! If it takes another month I will still be dipping in to see how things are going.

I have loved the Poly since I first read of her in the Bizarre ships book twenty or so years ago, so it is excellent to see a decent model being made.

I would love to build a Novgorod again (My first one was just a display model and got dumped for several reasons).
Pond weed is your enemy

Bob K

• Bob K
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #554 on: April 21, 2015, 10:16:27 pm »

Kind thoughts.  Ta.    Personally, I love detailing, plus researching and planning the various stages of a build.  No time limits, except at present a desire to take her to Mayhem.  She had spent a long time in ‘reserve’ after the sinking, whilst I gradually worked up the pluck to open her up and start the huge rebuild.  Maybe that’s why I’m now going OTT on the likkle bits.  Ships for me are for sailing.

Poly’ is a working semi-submersible, with Mister unit, working bow rudders, and a sound system.  Again unreasonably OTT, but that all works now.

I have always had a passion for weird warships.  They didn’t come much weirder than Novgorod.  I have often wondered if I could get one to actually steer.
HMS Skirmisher (1905), HMS Amazon (1906), HMS K9 (1915), Type 212A (2002), HMS Polyphemus (1881), Descartes (1897), Iggle Piggle boat (CBBC), HMS Royal Marine (1943), HMS Marshall Soult, HMS Agincourt (1912)

ballastanksian

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #555 on: April 21, 2015, 10:52:02 pm »

As the real one was a liability for the helmsman, I doubt the model would be any better. The rudder was like a lock gate and she had six bilge keels IIRC, and she still steered 'like a car on ice'!

Pond weed is your enemy

essex2visuvesi

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #556 on: April 22, 2015, 12:48:24 am »

Kind thoughts.  Ta.    Personally, I love detailing, plus researching and planning the various stages of a build.  No time limits, except at present a desire to take her to Mayhem.  She had spent a long time in ‘reserve’ after the sinking, whilst I gradually worked up the pluck to open her up and start the huge rebuild.  Maybe that’s why I’m now going OTT on the likkle bits.  Ships for me are for sailing.

Poly’ is a working semi-submersible, with Mister unit, working bow rudders, and a sound system.  Again unreasonably OTT, but that all works now.

I have always had a passion for weird warships.  They didn’t come much weirder than Novgorod.  I have often wondered if I could get one to actually steer.

The heading hold Gyro from an RC helicopter would probably be useful in a build like that.
I've a couple in the bits box if you do decide to give it a go
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity
Proud member of the OAM  (Order of the Armchair Modeller)
Junior member of the OGG  (Order of the Grumpy Git)

steve pickstock

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #557 on: April 22, 2015, 08:01:58 am »

I did ask Russian kit manufacturer Zvezda if they would make a Novgorod, they expressed an interest. I don't know how far that has gone, or even if they progressed with it but I agree a fascinating vessel and there is always that challenge "could I make it work"?

ballastanksian

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #558 on: April 22, 2015, 08:26:45 am »

Thanks for the offer Mr Essex! I am tempted, but I have to complete my destroyer and Warriour first.

Pond weed is your enemy

Bob K

• Bob K
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #559 on: April 22, 2015, 11:20:19 am »

Finally found a photograph showing where the long length of excess hoist lines for lifeboats were stowed.
The period picture was of a boat without tarpaulin covers.
The excess lines were coiled up inside the lifeboat.  Simples, when I think about it.
Too late to change it now on the model, the covers are glued down, but now I know.

Bob K

• Bob K
  • Full Mayhemer
Re: H.M.S. Polyphemus (1881), Fore Deck
« Reply #560 on: April 26, 2015, 01:37:04 pm »

HMS Polyphemus (1881), Fore Deck

Fore Deck

Did I say 2 metres of fine chain?  More like three and a half now, at over seven quid a meter.
Anchor chains installed, including lead out nozzles adapted from funnel ventilators.  Anchor lashings in fine chain. 

Two pairs of cranes. I was scratching my head on how to make the large gooseneck ones with tapered ends.  Found just the job, 4 mm aluminium knitting needles.  Ideal shape, just required forming to shape and adding some detail.

The other pair of cranes were more tricky, and had to be laminated construction. Some detail adapted from diecast bits.  Studded with bolt heads, so got some 14 BA full nuts.  Always fancied these after seeing how good the bolt heads look on model lifeboats.  Diecast tackle blocks and more fine chain for the hoists.  By no means all on this build has come out as I’d hoped, I am still learning, but I’m definitely pleased with the cranes.

Ships bell fitted, with more thin chain. I am still undecided whether to fit awning frames, not shown on original plans, but were in later photo’s in the Med. 
Does little to add to the model but substantially vulnerable to damage in transit and use. 

Mast and funnel next.

radiojoe

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #561 on: April 26, 2015, 04:04:23 pm »

Hi Bob, have to admit I was thinking your blocks looked a little over scale but looking at the photo I'd say you were spot on mate, O0 superb detail.  :-)) :-))

Bob K

• Bob K
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #562 on: April 26, 2015, 05:05:52 pm »

The problem with blocks is there's 5 mm, and next size down is 3mm - almost half the size. 
I reckon I should have used 3 mm for the dinghy.

radiojoe

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #563 on: April 26, 2015, 05:34:25 pm »

No I think your ok Bob, in the photo they are larger than later ones, they did tend to over engineer stuff in those days.  :o

joppyuk1

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #564 on: April 29, 2015, 04:43:11 pm »

I know it's a day early, but I won't be around to post then, so - happy third birthday to this thread. Way back in 2012 did you envisage it would still be ongoing? Mind you, she's looking good.

Bob K

• Bob K
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #565 on: April 29, 2015, 06:29:08 pm »

Oh dear !  Is it really that long since I started thinking about this project, researching and doing tests with 2 litre soda bottles ?    :embarrassed:
After the mortal setback she did languish on the stocks for the longest time, but at last is fully working and nearing completion.  I have enjoyed (most) of the journey, especially the final few months of detailing.  I have also learned a lot, thanks to fellow Mayhemers.

I am currently working on the mast, funnel, and rigging. Except for the transport case and launching frame this thread draws closer to the time for the immortal farewell of Bugs Bunny. 

Then I will build something else, equally odd.

ballastanksian

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #566 on: April 29, 2015, 11:45:30 pm »

It is sad to see a good thread end and dissapear down the list as Joe's is slowly. But be heartened, there will be new build logs and more interesting projects to follow.
Pond weed is your enemy

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #567 on: April 30, 2015, 12:55:23 am »

Goodness Bob.....    "she did languish on the stocks for the longest time" ...... <*<...stocks?........sound's like a whipping post  {-).....

Mind you..........I did see her sitting on the blocks for a few months...a few years back  %)

I too have followed this build from DAY 1  O0 .......and I suspect this thread will never finish or die out <:(...

Just like repeats of the Bill  :police: on the television....you know with Officer Reg watering the flowers on the Sun Hill station roof........that must have been at least 20 years ago...

Looking forward to your next series of instalments ........Derek
Derek Warner

Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op
Australia
www.ils.org.au

Bob K

• Bob K
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #568 on: April 30, 2015, 08:14:18 am »

Thank you Gentleman.  Unfortunately all shaggy dogs stories reach the punch line eventually.   %%
There may be a sequel, but not "Polyphemus Rides Again", or "Raise The Polyphemus", or "What Polyphemus Did Next", or even "Hornblower and the Polyphemus"?
We are anticipating live road shows though, starting with Mayhem.

PS:  On The Stocks is an Oxford Dictionary term, "In Preparation or Construction".

Bob K

• Bob K
  • Full Mayhemer
Re: H.M.S. Polyphemus (1881), Finished at last !
« Reply #569 on: May 06, 2015, 11:47:00 am »

HMS Polyphemus (1881), Finished at last  !

Completed the last of the fine chain work, securing the ends of the two float-off life rafts and the handling chains for the two big gooseneck cranes. 

Funnel

Only the base of the mast and funnel are shown on the original plans so I am relying on scaling photographs.  I am having to break a golden construction rule in not to have removable sub-assemblies other than access hatches etc, but the funnel ‘core’ is epoxied into the Mister compartment watertight cover.  So a slide-off ‘outer’ became necessary to include the funnel top detail and vertical pipes.  It does however make it easier for refilling the Mister water tank now that the funnel cap is fitted.

Surprisingly, having grown used to the ‘stub’ funnel for so long, now that she has the full length one the ship more looks its proper 1/60 scale size.

Mast & Rigging

Mast sections in hardwood. The boom fitting was constructed in ABS and brass with thread ‘lashings’.  I had to take an educated stab at the topmast stepping arrangement as photo definition is poor.  This time I am even having a go at ratlines. Made a jig.  Over a hundred tiny knots.

Much of the rigging is familiar and conventional, but due to fore deck removal some of the longer standing rigging is in black elastic thread so it can be unhooked for access.
Where rigging detail was hard to make out from photos I have had to reconstruct to period logic.

Gripes

No not that kind.  Fitting the lifeboat restraining straps was fiddly, but thanks to ‘Picketboat’ the flat section thread looks good for this.  The beeswax helped.

Chutes

Four disposal chutes from the flying decks were formed from 6 mm brass tube.  Exactly what they were for is a mystery, neither coal ash nor empty ammunition casings where they were fitted.  The hatch covers for them are wrong for outside Heads.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Now I have now run out of bits to build. 
O M G , is the ship actually finished at long last? 
Not quite.  I still have the protective carry case and launching device to make.
Then to conclude ( at last ) will be final sea trials pictures.

unbuiltnautilus

• Portsmouth Model Boat Display Team
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #570 on: May 06, 2015, 05:44:53 pm »

Good luck and God Speed then :-))
Listen politely, nod approvingly, then do what you want, works for me!

radiojoe

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #571 on: May 06, 2015, 06:44:37 pm »

Heck of a job Bob,  :-)) :-)) I look forward to seeing her on the water, I wouldn't want to get in the way of that ram,  %%

PICKETBOAT

• PICKETBOAT
  • Full Mayhemer
  • "History in the making"
    • Chylds Hall Model Shipyard
« Reply #572 on: May 06, 2015, 06:51:48 pm »

Bob

This model looks fantastic.
 I had kind of got used to seeing close ups of small sections of the vessel, but now seeing her "in the full" see looks excellent. Glad the gripes were OK in the end and happy to help with this fascinating build.
I shall keep watching.

Bob K

• Bob K
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #573 on: May 06, 2015, 07:30:34 pm »

Cheers Gents.  Even though the gripes only restrain swing in one direction they are remarkably effective.
An "in the full" view, I will admit to being too zoomed in to the bit I'm doing for too long.

Joe:  If I break down it would be nice if your excellent springer 'Gopha Girl' were on station.

Photo's on the water will have to wait for the transport case being made.  Two weeks till Mayhem Saturday.

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #574 on: May 06, 2015, 11:04:26 pm »

Yes  Bob...best of weather for her sea trials  :-)) ........luck is not a part of the event...just perseverance & you have displayed bucket loads with this build.....

BTW.......a bucket is simply a term......not necessarily meant as a water holding thingie..... {-)......keep us posted.........Derek
Derek Warner

Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op
Australia
www.ils.org.au
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 [23] 24 25 26 27   Go Up

Page created in 0.094 seconds with 22 queries.