Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.

Author Topic: Bob's H.M.S. Polyphemus  (Read 243727 times)

Guy Bagley

• Full Mayhemer
Re: H.M.S. Polyphemus .... slight set back!
« Reply #600 on: May 27, 2015, 09:49:37 pm »

Bob, we do have good contacts at the local sub Aqua club
all in all its just another brick in the wall......

Bob K

• Bob K
  • Full Mayhemer
Re: Re: H.M.S. Polyphemus .... slight set back!
« Reply #601 on: May 27, 2015, 10:06:31 pm »

I know Guy, if they can find it.  A wonderful clear water lake, but very big and deep.
HMS Skirmisher (1905), HMS Amazon (1906), HMS K9 (1915), Type 212A (2002), HMS Polyphemus (1881), Descartes (1897), Iggle Piggle boat (CBBC), HMS Royal Marine (1943), HMS Marshall Soult, HMS Agincourt (1912)

ballastanksian

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem inspires me!
« Reply #602 on: May 27, 2015, 11:07:55 pm »

Strip out the sound system and generator, This will save you space, money, time and battery types. It will also simplify the waterproofing of your remaining components.

I can see the point in having sound in a chuggy old diesel tug or a throaty MTB, but cannot in a steam powered ship. In my humble op' , a well managed boiler room should generate little smoke (perhaps more pertinent to oil fired boilers?) so a generator is not really needed*.

This gives you RX, steering, propulsion and pumping control.

It (Sh) happens to everyone in all hobbies. I have recently seen a sea plane hit the only tree around our pond and two inverted airboats recovered by powering them upside down to shore. They were naturally no where near as sophistacated as Poly, but everything has a value in time and material expenditure.

Recover what you can and keep us informed of how you get on. It will be a interesting tutorial on recovery and redesign. I am sure you would have wanted your pioneering exploits to be less damp though.

Pond weed is your enemy

PICKETBOAT

• PICKETBOAT
  • Full Mayhemer
  • "History in the making"
    • Chylds Hall Model Shipyard
« Reply #603 on: May 27, 2015, 11:51:52 pm »

Bob

So sad, but don't get disheartened. I am sure you are thinking on the right lines with your intended internal re vamp. Maybe you have to treat the model as a submarine (from an internal technical view point) and design backwards towards a floating vessel, rather than the other way around. I hope that makes sense.
You could install an oil filled smoke generator in the funnel. I have used these on all my models. Small, reliable, inexpensive, excellent smoke output (rather than water vapour) and you would still make a big weight/space saving over a water filled mist type unit.

Klunk

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
  • If you know who I am, please remind me!!
« Reply #604 on: May 28, 2015, 07:28:49 am »

SECRETARY - LUTON AND DISTRICT MODEL BOAT CLUB
full time penguin

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #605 on: May 28, 2015, 08:46:22 am »

Bob, as promised at Mayhem.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s4z8QMgTEA4

:o That's AWESOME!
  :o

Can't find a UK supplier of CorrtionX but a link in the comment recommends, 3M Scotchkote™ Electrical Coating.
http://www.3mdirect.co.uk/products-for/electrical-supplies/sprays-coatings/electrical-coating-spray.html?gclid=CMbc9tX648UCFSXlwgods3MAWQ
Conformal Coating - waterproofing

Another comment:
"Plasti-dip works fine for ESCs too, but not Liquid Tape because it dries and cracks when it gets hot."

"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

Bob K

• Bob K
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #606 on: May 28, 2015, 10:47:59 am »

As those of you who were close enough to see when she went down the motors and sound system were still working on the bottom.  It's not the immersion that kills things it's the slower corrosion of drying out, especially brushed motors.
HMS Skirmisher (1905), HMS Amazon (1906), HMS K9 (1915), Type 212A (2002), HMS Polyphemus (1881), Descartes (1897), Iggle Piggle boat (CBBC), HMS Royal Marine (1943), HMS Marshall Soult, HMS Agincourt (1912)

rsm

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #607 on: May 28, 2015, 12:34:44 pm »

Here is a link to the UK supplier of Corrosion-X:

https://www.corrosion-x.co.uk
Roger

unbuiltnautilus

• Portsmouth Model Boat Display Team
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #608 on: May 28, 2015, 04:41:15 pm »

Component Shop sell a Voltage Booster which will do away with your many AA batteries used to power the 24v smoke system, £9.95. He had some on display at Beale Park last weekend.. you can keep the smoke unit now!
If you can sort out the coaming heights around your hull openings, isolate the pump in its own compartment, as previously suggested, and maybe seal some of your cable runs ( epoxy is a good answer, albeit pretty permanent!), I don't see why Polyphemus cannot rise again, sound and smoke included :-))
Listen politely, nod approvingly, then do what you want, works for me!

unbuiltnautilus

• Portsmouth Model Boat Display Team
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #609 on: May 28, 2015, 04:42:10 pm »

and Corrosion X or Graupners Wet Protect over your electronics for the next sinking :}
Listen politely, nod approvingly, then do what you want, works for me!

Bob K

• Bob K
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #610 on: May 28, 2015, 07:14:24 pm »

That Component Shop voltage booster is very compact.  I did try a different one before but that was huge and emitted a lot of RF.  Worth trying at under a Tenner.
http://www.componentshop.co.uk/voltage-booster-with-green-led-display.html

No coamings on this ship.  Watertight compartment lids a la early Engle Submarines.

It is the drying out that causes the damage via corrosion, not immersion.  Spraying goo over a motor brushes and commutator will stop it working without water.

steve pickstock

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #611 on: May 28, 2015, 07:21:33 pm »

What we advise in the case of mobile phones that get immersed, is to pack the mobile in dry rice. And then place it in the airing cupboard. Not sure how you would do that to Poly, perhaps place loose weave bags of rice inside?  The point being to absorb as much damp as possible before it can do the damage.

Bob K

• Bob K
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #612 on: May 28, 2015, 07:55:36 pm »

With the appreciated help of 'Klunk' at the lake we got all the lids off, emptied it, and dried it out as much as possible at the scene.  By the time I got it home in the warm corrosion was already starting to set in.  Contact cleaner helps, if used early. 

Arrow5

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #613 on: May 28, 2015, 07:57:19 pm »

Is rice better than silica gel crystals ?   CorrosionX doesn't work on brushed motors of course.
..well can you land on this?

GAZOU

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #614 on: May 28, 2015, 08:13:08 pm »

In case of dumping the first action: disconnect batteries

steve pickstock

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #615 on: May 28, 2015, 08:21:34 pm »

Probably not more effective than Silica but much more accessible to the sort of person who would drop their mobile in the loo and such. But the advantage of rice is that you cn pack it in quantity. But as Bob says they've already taken steps to get rid of as much moisture as they can, so no need for the rice.

Klunk

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
  • If you know who I am, please remind me!!
« Reply #616 on: May 28, 2015, 08:34:24 pm »

So....to reiterate. .....drop phone down loo.....pour rice on top......take whole lot out of loo......place in airing cupboard and blame the wife!
SECRETARY - LUTON AND DISTRICT MODEL BOAT CLUB
full time penguin

steve pickstock

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #617 on: May 28, 2015, 08:51:43 pm »

Pretty much what usually happens - yes.

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #618 on: May 28, 2015, 08:52:53 pm »

{-)   {-)   {-)

So....to reiterate. .....drop phone down loo.....pour rice on top......take whole lot out of loo......place in airing cupboard and blame the wife!
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

Bob K

• Bob K
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #619 on: May 28, 2015, 10:23:40 pm »

Just bear in mind that this thread was almost completed.  If you really want it to reach Reply #700 and over 50,000 Reads I can always start off with a detailed Autopsy Report, in forensic format, examining the sequence of each organ component failure in detail. 

Then when it's rebuilt we can start all over again.  Happy 2016 ?    tee hee !

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #620 on: May 29, 2015, 12:06:03 am »

Its all OK Bob........we will be waiting patiently  O0 O0 for the late 2015 to early 2016 for Polys next sailing :-))........

Just reading back a bit, the suggestion of increasing the smoking output at the expense of eliminating the complexity of the sound system is worthy of consideration

Derek
Derek Warner

Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op
Australia
www.ils.org.au

Bob K

• Bob K
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #621 on: May 29, 2015, 01:54:39 am »

Thank you Derek, it shouldn't be that long.

I have ordered the voltage booster.  The sound system is a very compact Action P64, the largest part is the speaker and sound box.  Smoke and sound from a 'submarine' is appealing, but both require openings around three inches above waterline.  If anything goes wrong . . .

dodes

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #622 on: June 01, 2015, 07:41:20 pm »

Hi Ken, I think the advice on dumping the noise maker makes sense, unless you are really keen on a fog horn. I sailed for two years on a twin engine recip engine boat and I used to regularly go into the engine room and have a chat with the engineer between the engines and we spoke normally without raising our voices, also when on watch on a open bridge, I only head a low soft roaring from the funnel gases. Though the foghorn could splutter and berp at times.

dodes

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #623 on: June 01, 2015, 07:52:10 pm »

Sorry I forgot say , it was a shame your Poly dived below the waves, one strives so hard to build a nice detailed model only for it to sink because of a minor failure somewhere. But I am sure like the proverbial bird she will sail again.

Bob K

• Bob K
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #624 on: June 01, 2015, 09:25:44 pm »

Her massive compound steam engines were quite different to modern ships, remembering she was built only twenty years after HMS Warrior which relied more on square rig sails than propeller drive.  The sound unit is very small, except for the 3" speaker and sound box.

Still drying out and airing the internal bits indoors.

In the mean time I am building a set of radio controlled lights for pond use.  Eight 4W LED outdoor spots, modified to take coloured studio lighting filters inside. The RX is a Blagdon 3 channel remote control unit.  I can switch banks of lights around the Koi pond from indoors to create different effects after dusk, shining through the vegetation.

I used even more wire than inside Polyphemus  %%
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 [25] 26 27   Go Up

Page created in 0.093 seconds with 22 queries.