Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 [27]   Go Down

Author Topic: Bob's H.M.S. Polyphemus  (Read 243682 times)

Klunk

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
  • If you know who I am, please remind me!!
Re: Re: H.M.S. Polyphemus .... slight set back!
« Reply #650 on: August 25, 2015, 01:30:17 pm »

Oi Martin
....you joining us?
I know your normally a steak pie and chips man but....
SECRETARY - LUTON AND DISTRICT MODEL BOAT CLUB
full time penguin

steve pickstock

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #651 on: August 25, 2015, 01:51:17 pm »

As only a part-timer please may I add my comments?

As a long time model maker I have followed this thread with fascination and admiration - not only at your dogged determination, but at the quality of the finished work. Polyphemus is a fantastic model and a credit to your tenacity and perseverance.

You, sir are an inspiration!

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #652 on: August 25, 2015, 01:52:38 pm »

;)..... Bob K...whilst I have not necessarily agreed with all of the water proofing build scenarios you have offered, I have read and offered constructive comment since day 1

So I hope to be in this same position over the next months of your build..... :-))... Derek
Derek Warner

Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op
Australia
www.ils.org.au

Stavros

« Reply #653 on: August 25, 2015, 02:19:53 pm »

Bob I might have a darned good IDEA to stop the pipes blowing off the copper pipes...Is there any way you could solder an olive to the end of the pipe to act as a swage on it to physically stop the pipe being blown off...aslo you could superglue the pipe onto the copper pipe so it has somewhere to grip....had this problem many years ago on a hilman imp with a front mounted radiator ...it kept throwing off the rubber pipes from the copper ones .....soon sorted with some olives silver soldered to the copper to act as stops so the juibilee clip couldn't slide off

Dave

Bob K

• Bob K
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #654 on: August 25, 2015, 03:34:30 pm »

Dave.  The air pump has cast-in barbs on the ports, but previously I had relied on the tight fit of the silicone tube over plain brass pipes elsewhere, the same as on my Engel sub.
Darned powerful little air pump this, although not had a problem before.

This time I have multi-barbed brass tee joints with wire clamps over the barb grooves which should take a lot more air pressure.  On a stand-alone sample I could not pull it off, and even took an electric car type pump to it.  I was almost to the point of considering steam engine plumbing.
HMS Skirmisher (1905), HMS Amazon (1906), HMS K9 (1915), Type 212A (2002), HMS Polyphemus (1881), Descartes (1897), Iggle Piggle boat (CBBC), HMS Royal Marine (1943), HMS Marshall Soult, HMS Agincourt (1912)

ballastanksian

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem inspires me!
« Reply #655 on: August 25, 2015, 08:53:21 pm »

I was wondering where you had got to Bob. I was worried that you might have consigned Poly to the mantelpiece, but thankfuly you are still soldiering on and trying out new techniques to make her work.

Fingers crossed everything will work out as intended at Black Park and that you and Klunk can enjoy a hasslefree breakfast.

Have a bacon sandwich for me!
Pond weed is your enemy

PICKETBOAT

• PICKETBOAT
  • Full Mayhemer
  • "History in the making"
    • Chylds Hall Model Shipyard
« Reply #656 on: August 26, 2015, 09:45:29 am »

Bob

I'm sure no one here has been laughing at the (HMS Polyphemus) terrible accident. We are all amazed at your ability to keep going and make it work. I would have given up and pushed the thing in the loft and hoped it would go away!
Hope the post re fit sea trials go according to plan. Looking forward to seeing the pictures. Sorry I cant be there. 

Bob K

• Bob K
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #657 on: August 26, 2015, 10:46:34 am »

Thank you for the encouragements.  I have invested too much time and effort to consign her to the loft or mantelpiece, or the lake bottom either - hence current extreme care and diligence. 

Currently mounting two high powered flashing LED's to hatch covers, fore and aft.  I hope they will not be too noticeable - unless any of the bilge sensors get activated. Small sealed hole in hatch with LED base affixed to top surface with just wiring going through. Deck assembly clearance holes to suit.
HMS Skirmisher (1905), HMS Amazon (1906), HMS K9 (1915), Type 212A (2002), HMS Polyphemus (1881), Descartes (1897), Iggle Piggle boat (CBBC), HMS Royal Marine (1943), HMS Marshall Soult, HMS Agincourt (1912)

Bob K

• Bob K
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #658 on: August 31, 2015, 02:03:27 pm »

Pneumatic plumbing installed and pressure tested.  Note barbed brass joints with securing wire over grooves.

A pair of 10 mm ultra bright flashing LED's epoxied into clear compartment hatches, one fore and one aft, each protruding through removable deck sections.  Hunter Systems bilge pump controller with sensors at the lowest part of each compartment.  Sensors wired in parallel so if any one detects water the warning lights flash.  Picture below taken with one sensor dipped in a glass of water.  Each sensor tested individually.

With one at each end of the ship this should give a clearer indication of trouble starting than the internal pitzo alarm.  After testing inter-compartment through-bulkhead wiring sealed with silicone sealant.  It then remains to give a full days bath test before re-sealing hatch covers and testing again with a watering can.

ballastanksian

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #659 on: August 31, 2015, 07:44:32 pm »

Well let's hope the bath test is a success and that you will be back on the water soon.

Then on with your rowing boat a'la 'In the night garden' and other exciting projects.
Pond weed is your enemy

Bob K

• Bob K
  • Full Mayhemer
H.M.S. Polyphemus.... It was completed
« Reply #660 on: May 08, 2016, 01:30:10 pm »

Just For The Record

I had no intention of continuing with this thread due to the high volume of inappropriate jokes at my expense.  However,  despite the still continuing ‘humorous’ digs, I should state that Polyphemus remains fully complete and operational.

As reported before, the failure of a water pressure joint to a ballast tank resulted in water being pumped into the hull.  All pressure joints were remade with barbed joints and security wire locking.  Inter-compartment wiring at top of bulkheads sealed with silicone sealant.  Bilge warning sensors in every compartment with bright flashing warning lights fore and aft.

A slight problem with stability at Black Park was due to my going a bit O.T.T. on the detailing, adding 400 gm topside more than allowed for. 
After running extensive tests on expansion ratios of two-part buoyancy foam, the hull was placed on each end and carefully measured quantities injected via the vent holes using a syringe.  This is to reduce ballast capacity by 40% and provide additional reserve buoyancy. 

OK, it doesn’t trim right down to ‘almost awash’, but is stable and with a little more minimum freeboard.  This has been a massive long project, but I have been determined that the numerous technical challenges should not beat me.  Bear in mind the original only had 200 tons of buoyancy when trimmed down in attack mode, so with an 11kg model design limits were close.

Anyone with a sense of humour would do well to first try designing a working semi-submersible themselves.

END OF BUILD THREAD

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
H.M.S. Polyphemus.... It was completed
« Reply #661 on: May 08, 2016, 02:11:28 pm »

Great job Bob!   :-))

He who laughs last ....!

( Coming to Wicksteed? )
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

Kayechuk

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
Re: Bob's H.M.S. Polyphemus
« Reply #662 on: May 08, 2016, 05:52:44 pm »

:-)) Great build,now if I can get my poly half as good I will be happy.Mine is static.But driving me  {:-{ >>:-( <*< <*< <*< <*< >>:-( >>:-( >>:-(

ballastanksian

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #663 on: May 08, 2016, 05:53:28 pm »

Gosh, what an adventure Bob. Thanks for sharing your final jobs on the Poly.
Pond weed is your enemy

unbuiltnautilus

• Portsmouth Model Boat Display Team
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #664 on: May 10, 2016, 09:53:08 am »

I think ( and know! ) a sense of humour is needed with this type of project :-))

This thread proves that you shouldn't give up with a project, despite setbacks. What you have learned through this build will benefit others going forward..well done, congratulations and on to the next project.
Listen politely, nod approvingly, then do what you want, works for me!

spooksgone

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #665 on: May 14, 2016, 11:37:14 am »

An incredible amount of work, and patience. A complete inspiration to others. It just go's to show that if you want something bad enough, you can get it. Fantastic build log. Thanks Bob. I look forward to seeing her in the flesh one day. :-)) :-)) :-))

radiojoe

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #666 on: May 14, 2016, 02:19:02 pm »

Definitely no jokes from me Bob, I applaud your perseverance on a very difficult project, a big well done from me.

Bob K

• Bob K
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #667 on: May 14, 2016, 02:32:17 pm »

I wasn't going to comment any further after completing the project (finally) at the end of last year, but I must thank those who have taken the time to write such positive words.  There have been a lot of ups and downs (other than re waterline) not least of which were the early failures of Perspex type materials to bond in a completely watertight manner.  The mistake in adding too much detail top-weight was a dumb error on my part after everything had been so carefully calculated and measured.  But . . . I just love detailing models !

Nothing so ambitious to follow - sorry.  My Iggle Piggle boat from the children's BBC series was relatively straightforward, and seems to draw crowds of young kids which is nice.  I have finally cut out and replaced the seized prop shafts from my HMS Amazon and look forward to sailing her tomorrow.  My new Dean's HMS Royal Marine kit I am very much looking forward to building, and then an 'almost' scratch build of HMS Abercrombie monitor with her giant twin 15 " turret.

I guess the moral is -  push your limits in what you build, always learning, but keep your goals realistic.

Cheers    Bob K

Kayechuk

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #668 on: May 14, 2016, 03:48:46 pm »

:-)) Bob modelling is always about learning new skills,and pushing your limits.Every build you do, increases your skills, and hopefully motivates more people, not to be afraid to push their limits, by posting  your builds on MBM.

steve pickstock

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #669 on: May 14, 2016, 08:40:35 pm »

I have learned so much from following your progress, and my admiration for your skills and perseverance is huge.

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #670 on: May 15, 2016, 12:02:39 am »

Morning Bob ...carry on :-)) ....you know you have always had [moral] support from OZ .........

You must also remember from our place on earth, we have the advantage of seeing Polyphemus's bottom ;D........Derek
Derek Warner

Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op
Australia
www.ils.org.au

Bob K

• Bob K
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #671 on: June 03, 2016, 11:18:01 am »

Quick update:  After very successful sailings at Black Park, Beale Park, and Wicksteed Park, I decided to do some modifications to get her sailing better.  I had originally set the F14 channels to 'submarine style' controls as seemed fitting for a semi-submersible, but having the stick positions totally different to all my other boats was driving me nuts with confusion.  So, I changed the Rx channels around to match what I had become instinctively used to.  I had thought that with slightly more freeboard I might be able to convert to 2.4Mhz, but the Rx even at the top of the compartment is far too close to the waterline.

It steered like a pig.  Huge turning circle, plus ages to stop.  I had built the rudder 'scale' so now increased it by 30% at rear and bottom to hopefully improve the handling.  Just to return it fully to spec I replaced the P94 and Kondor motors, even though both had survived last years immersion.  The P94 'R1" pot was getting a bit iffy to set the mixing ratio.

The bow rudders were not very effective on the real ship, and proved the same on my model.  Instead of using a reversing Y lead to operate both from the same channel I now have the bow rudders on a separate reversed channel so I can use them either together or independently. 

Next show appearance will be this weekend at the Alfold Charity Show.  Hopefully It will steer and perform much better. 

Martin's photo from Wicksteed    (c) Model Boat Mayhem

ballastanksian

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #672 on: June 03, 2016, 11:26:12 am »

Lovely :-))
Pond weed is your enemy
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 [27]   Go Up

Page created in 0.093 seconds with 22 queries.