Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Missiles on your Roof.  (Read 5192 times)

john s 2

• Full Mayhemer
Missiles on your Roof.
« on: April 30, 2012, 01:17:23 pm »

Am i the only one who is appalled by the actions of the Militery in siting a ground to air missile unit on a block of flats? Do not the public have any rights these days? Would you want this on your building? There is a saying what goes up comes down. Should a missile be fired the debrie will land likely on someones home road etc. To me this seems a case of protecting the olymphics and possibly killing else where. During ww2 the British gave out information on rocket landings to make it appear that they had overshot London. The gemans reduced the range. The east end copped it. History to repeat? Your thoughts please Lasses and Lads. John.

Liverbudgie2

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
Re: Missiles on your Roof.
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2012, 01:52:05 pm »

Am i the only one who is appalled by the actions of the Militery in siting a ground to air missile unit on a block of flats?

Looks like it.

Mad_Mike

• Full Mayhemer
  • Lincolnshire
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2012, 04:18:13 pm »

It was quite normal in ww2 to put anti aircraft placments on top of buildings. I suppose everyone complains until its needed.

http://albumwar2.com/images/stories/photo/anti-aircraft_gun.jpg

DavieTait

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2012, 04:24:39 pm »

Personally I'd be fine with it , look at it this way , they are very close to the olympic park and should a terrorist attack take place the chances are that they could be attacked them selves ( a plane under terrorist control could crash into the housing estates nearby ). These missiles are a last inner zone defence mainly against idiots with para-sails ( parachutes with the engine/prop strapped to the back ) which is why its the smaller SAM and not Rapier they're using , terrorist groups taking over an airliner wouldn't get over London as we have enough constant checks and contacts with airliners meaning as soon as one was taken over an RAF fighter would intercept and challenge the plane , no reply or non-compliance with instructions means , I'm afraid , that plane will be shot down ( those rules have been in place since 9/11 )

Davie Tait,
Scotland

davidsg1a

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2012, 04:42:18 pm »

I dont see any problem with it, these things have got to be in place just in case.

David

Neil

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2012, 05:14:47 pm »

I'd gladly have missiles on my roof, and a silo in the back garden.........give me something to look at...........zap the B******** I say, %% %% %% {-) {-) {-) {-)

rmaddock

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2012, 05:28:20 pm »

I'm sure the occupants of said flats would be the first to ask (loudly) where the missiles had been if anything did happen in their absence....if that made sense.

Netleyned

• Full Mayhemer
    • cleethorpes mba
« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2012, 05:37:25 pm »

Why not use NIMBYS as a Human Shield?

Ned
Smooth seas never made skilful sailors
Up Spirits  Stand fast the Holy Ghost.
http://www.cleethorpesmba.co.uk/

Bryan Young

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2012, 06:24:45 pm »

I very much doubt if it would be the first in London. Even before 9/11 wasn't Downing Street "equipped"? And I'm pretty sure that isn't the only place. I'd be quite happy knowing I had a system like Rapier protecting my immediate whereabouts. BY.
Notes from a simple seaman

flashtwo

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2012, 06:25:18 pm »

This reminds of the Queen's Golden Jubilee in 2002 when the skys around London where heavily restricted for light aircraft flight.

I watched a Cesna type light aircraft fly west over Wrotham village, located at the foot of the Downs in Kent. About 10 minutes later it returned (slightly embarrassed!) flying east accompanied by two RAF fighters.

The poor Cesna must have been going flat out, but still the fighters were nearly at 45 degrees to the horizon, almost sitting on the black smoky jet exhausts just to keep airborn. In desperation one jet couldn't hold on any longer a peeled away before itself crashed. This never appeared in the media at the time.

Ian.

DickyD

• Full Mayhemer
  • www.srcmbc.org.uk
    • SRCMBC
« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2012, 07:08:07 pm »

Am i the only one who is appalled by the actions of the Militery in siting a ground to air missile unit on a block of flats? Do not the public have any rights these days? Would you want this on your building? There is a saying what goes up comes down. Should a missile be fired the debrie will land likely on someones home road etc. To me this seems a case of protecting the olymphics and possibly killing else where. During ww2 the British gave out information on rocket landings to make it appear that they had overshot London. The gemans reduced the range. The east end copped it. History to repeat? Your thoughts please Lasses and Lads. John.

Shouldn't worry to much old chap, dont think it will affect you in Southend on Sea.
Richard Solent Radio Controlled Model Boat Club http://www.srcmbc.org.uk

mikearace

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #11 on: April 30, 2012, 07:12:23 pm »

Wouldnt have a problem at all.  From what I have read the main resident raising it as a concern and acting as spokesperson happens to be a journalist called Brian Whelan.  Good story for him and good publicity for his name.
Not just two wheels...........and never trust a hippie

Arrow5

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #12 on: April 30, 2012, 07:19:06 pm »

The name Whelan....any relation to Charlie Whelan , ex Downing Street spin doctor (now resident in this Parish) I wonder ? {:-{
..well can you land on this?

TheLongBuild

• Full Mayhemer
  • Build em, and play hard..
  • Location: Everywhere, But Nowhere !! But mainly in England....
    • Runcorn & District Scale Model Boats
« Reply #13 on: April 30, 2012, 07:23:43 pm »

Can't see a problem, rather have them than not..

BarryM

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #14 on: April 30, 2012, 07:53:51 pm »

Whether or not missiles on the roof are a 'good thing' is open to debate. What would get my back up is being notified by a leaflet put through the letter box. Not the most diplomatic way to get residents on-side but then it's the MoD.  >>:-(

BarryM

Footski

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #15 on: April 30, 2012, 07:54:32 pm »

I'll bet it keeps the burglars away........ %% %%

cos918

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #16 on: April 30, 2012, 08:19:42 pm »

Personally I'd be fine with it , look at it this way , they are very close to the olympic park and should a terrorist attack take place the chances are that they could be attacked them selves ( a plane under terrorist control could crash into the housing estates nearby ). These missiles are a last inner zone defence mainly against idiots with para-sails ( parachutes with the engine/prop strapped to the back ) which is why its the smaller SAM and not Rapier they're using , terrorist groups taking over an airliner wouldn't get over London as we have enough constant checks and contacts with airliners meaning as soon as one was taken over an RAF fighter would intercept and challenge the plane , no reply or non-compliance with instructions means , I'm afraid , that plane will be shot down ( those rules have been in place since 9/11 )

Sorry but disaggre with A fully ladend 747 has 216847 or just over 200 tons of fuel. If The wind is coming from the east they will take of from Heathrow directly over London. If on take off the plane was hijacked in a 9/11 style there is NO way any RAF fighter plane could take off and intercept before the 747 is over any target over London. Only the primister can give that order. Be a brave man to give that with out thinking .

As for Missiles what a joke. Shoot down a Airbus A380 there will be massive loss of life on the ground.
In the west we critiase  groups that hide there wepons in amongst cilvians yet we are thinking about doing it.
This sums up the whole Games run bu a bunch of money making idoets who want there games at ANY cost and to hell with the rest of us.

John

essex2visuvesi

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #17 on: April 30, 2012, 08:49:54 pm »

Also do these missile batteries not become a terrorist target in their own right?
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity
Proud member of the OAM  (Order of the Armchair Modeller)
Junior member of the OGG  (Order of the Grumpy Git)

HawkEye

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #18 on: April 30, 2012, 08:55:48 pm »

Looks a bit meaty for shooting down  Pigeons -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cIiaBfca6KE

As you might expect, a "no fly" zone is already planned over London, so surely measures would already be in place to spot a "rogue" aircraft long before it came so close to the centre of London?

http://www.flights.co.uk/articles/london-2012-no-fly-zone.html

In addition, a warship with Typhoons and Lynx helicopters!  to deter any "naughty boys" with "naughty ideas"

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/typhoon-fighter-planes-to-be-deployed-during-281829

Surface-to-air missiles for Olympics

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=53pfsUJP5cA

I've never been so sure of something I wasn't sure of...

davidsg1a

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #19 on: April 30, 2012, 09:04:14 pm »

As some did mention, if they didnt have these things in place and something did happen
everyone would be asking questions why there was nothing in place. So the MOD cant do
right for wrong. {-)

David

CF-FZG

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #20 on: April 30, 2012, 09:11:41 pm »

Sorry but disaggre with A fully ladend 747 has 216847 or just over 200 tons of fuel. If The wind is coming from the east they will take of from Heathrow directly over London.

Planes taking off in an easterly direction from Heathrow have to turn before they get there, flights are not permitted to overfly the city.

If on take off the plane was hijacked in a 9/11 style there is NO way any RAF fighter plane could take off and intercept before the 747 is over any target over London. Only the primister can give that order. Be a brave man to give that with out thinking .

Firstly, an aircraft could only be hijacked in a '9/11' style with the cooperation of the flight deck crew - I was involved in fitting 'anti-terrorist-doors' on some aircraft, and you can't just 'break them down' they need to be opened from the cockpit, they're bullet proof too.
Secondly, the RAF don't operate a 'scramble' system in these kind of situation - the fighters are already airborne flying what's known as CAP, (Combat Air Patrol), for 4-5 hour stints with a reserve flight on the ground, and can get to most places very quickly.
Thirdly, it's usual for the decision to be 'readied awaiting final clearance' which means the PM, (or his 'authorised deputy'), can be contacted for final clearance while the fighters are en-route to an intercept.

As for Missiles what a joke. Shoot down a Airbus A380 there will be massive loss of life on the ground.
In the west we critiase  groups that hide there wepons in amongst cilvians yet we are thinking about doing it.

Having seen the mess a 747 makes, your statement should say 'there could be massive loss of life on the ground', but when you consider there could be 70,000 people in the stadium, and you might get 300-500 passengers and a couple of hundred ground casualties , (say 500-700 in total), that's a factor of 100 lives saved by shooting a 747 or 380 down - so not a difficult decision really.
There's a big difference between placing defensive weapons in or near a city, as opposed to basing offensive weapons, (e.g. your artillery) in a similar location.

Mark.
Mark.

Tonka Toys - Big boys toys :)

pugwash

• Full Mayhemer
  • Location: recently left Amble and now in the wet Northumberland hills
« Reply #21 on: April 30, 2012, 09:19:37 pm »

I notice nobody commented about SAMs at the previous two Olympic Games, just because its in UK knickers are getting twisted.
SAMs and AA guns are usually put on the highest place with the best line of sight and surprise surprise thats a blockl of flats.
If we do decide to deploy them we may as well put them in the best place

Geoff
Failing to prepare means preparing to fail.

mog10

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #22 on: April 30, 2012, 09:52:43 pm »

i think the goverment ill do what they feel is best for the county, if its missiles in my back garden then so be it at least you know you have good security %%

tobyker

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #23 on: April 30, 2012, 10:16:52 pm »

I'd be glad they were on my roof - rather than on someone else's so that they'd hit my house when they missed!

Neil

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #24 on: April 30, 2012, 10:34:11 pm »

I'd be glad they were on my roof - rather than on someone else's so that they'd hit my house when they missed!

I wonder if houses fitted with them would  rocket in price  {-) {-) {-) {-) {-) {-) {-)
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Page created in 0.094 seconds with 22 queries.