Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Kyosho Viper Makeover  (Read 6027 times)

armc40

• Fall guy, it would appear !
  • Full Mayhemer
Kyosho Viper Makeover
« on: May 05, 2012, 07:01:10 pm »

Saw an unused viper outfit on fleabay and although there was an Acomms 27 Meg outfit included I thought that it might benefit from some minor cosmetic touch ups.

Two cans of Holts car sprays later it was beginning to look less like a "toy" and more businesslike.

Mechanical speed controller removed and model equipped with 2.4Ghz radio courtesy of my Corona modified Futaba 8 UP, and 50amp marine speed controller + 3000Ma NiMh.

Finished model looks the part and is yet to be tested on water....roll on good weather.

The motor as fitted is a Le Mans 360 ST and I wondered if anyone out there has any details pertaining to this motor and if replacement is recommended.

Making a mistake is not a sign of weakness. Failure to admit to having made a mistake is though !

Power corrupts whilst absolute power corrupts absolutely. Imaginary power is something else entirely !

Shipmate60

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
  • You bark - I will bite!!!
Re: Kyosho Viper Makeover
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2012, 07:54:05 pm »

That is quite a hot motor so I would try it first and see if the performance is what you want.

Bob
Officially a GOG.

armc40

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2012, 08:01:55 pm »

Thanks Bob...just gotta wait for the decent weather to arrive, and when I've posted a bit more I'll have the 27Mhz Tx and RX and mechanical speed controller up for offers  (not really any use to me)
Making a mistake is not a sign of weakness. Failure to admit to having made a mistake is though !

Power corrupts whilst absolute power corrupts absolutely. Imaginary power is something else entirely !

Mad_Mike

• Full Mayhemer
  • Lincolnshire
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2012, 08:12:55 pm »

nob bad find that done a good job with it. where did you get the esc from?

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2012, 08:26:05 pm »

Good job armc40 !

I had the IC version of the Viper... what a 'rubbish' engine!!!!
 The engine was so hard to start that eventually I pushed the stand up through the hull whilst pulling on the starting cord!!  >>:-(

.... I converted it to electric after that.  {:-{
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

armc40

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2012, 08:32:41 pm »

nob bad find that done a good job with it. where did you get the esc from?

Mike...if you don't mind the wait, they're available from far eastern Ebay     I bought three... 60 quid and free shipping

Took almost 2 weeks to arrive, but worth the wait    :-)

armc40

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2012, 08:37:45 pm »

:P
Good job armc40 !

The engine was so hard to start that eventually I pushed the stand up through the hull whilst pulling on the starting cord!!  >>:-(

.... I converted it to electric after that.  {:-{

Still trying to find a suitable battery mounting method for this model as the pics on the carton show it merely resting against the radio box....not recommended surely ?    {:-{

Mad_Mike

• Full Mayhemer
  • Lincolnshire
« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2012, 10:24:41 pm »

I use sticky back Velcro for most of my boats. you can buy it from Wilkinson :-)) works just dandy.

I must warn you that the oriental esc's are highly exaggerated regarding there operational limits. If they say 50 amp marine esc itl be more like 15. {:-{ but i wont tar all of them with the same brush maybe these ones might be good, id appreciate your oppinion when you take your boat out  :-))

armc40

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2012, 10:56:26 pm »

That is quite a hot motor so I would try it first and see if the performance is what you want.

Bob

See what you meant Bob....took it out today and that certainly is a punchy little motor....are they still available to buy ?

Andyn

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2012, 11:35:14 pm »

I had the IC version too, and I managed to pull the engine straight out of the hull.. That was rather interesting...

The engine itself when run in and used on a belt is actually very good, it's just the pullstart that lets it down

Shipmate60

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
  • You bark - I will bite!!!
« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2012, 03:22:10 pm »

Not sure if they are still available they were marketed as Kyosho motors but they would have been bought in.
It looks a little like the "Palma" motor, but the fast electric boys might be able to give a definitive answer.

Bob
Officially a GOG.

armc40

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2012, 10:32:22 am »

Good job armc40 !

.... I converted it to electric after that.  {:-{

Martin....very simple question but where did you mount the battery in your viper when you converted it to electric ?

If it's mounted to one side as the box art shows, the model sits "lopsided" in the water and I've found that turns are affected as a result and there's not a lot of room to mount it elsewhere.

B

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #12 on: May 14, 2012, 12:28:05 pm »

From memory, 2 x 7.2v Nicads, one on each side, over the the C of G.....
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

armc40

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #13 on: May 14, 2012, 01:26:44 pm »

From memory, 2 x 7.2v Nicads, one on each side, over the the C of G.....

Thanks Martin....next on the "to do" list

B

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.113 seconds with 22 queries.