Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Graupner Titanic  (Read 30306 times)

livesteam

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Graupner Titanic
« Reply #25 on: May 15, 2012, 12:31:44 pm »

why do some people ALWAYS  have something to complain about??? {:-{ {:-{ {:-{ {:-{

That was ment as a winking sideblow to all the Titanic rivet counters who discuss about white star buff and whatsoever  ad infinitum...

ATB

• Shipmate
« Reply #26 on: May 15, 2012, 09:53:12 pm »

In the manual ballast is not mentioned at all, but I don't think the model is heavy enough to sail without.

livesteam

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #27 on: May 16, 2012, 07:11:47 am »

In the manual ballast is not mentioned at all, but I don't think the model is heavy enough to sail without.

I agree. According to Graupner website the weight is 7,2kg but I guess, this is not sailing weight (?)

To calculate a models displacement one can use the following formula:
[scale³] x [prototype-displacement] = models displacement --> for TITANIC: (1/150)³ x 53'000 (metric)tons = 15.7kg

It would be interesting to know the actual sailing weight of the Graupner Titanic! I guess it should even displace a bit more as the model is some 3cm overscaled in beam (I suppose they did it in pupose to improve the performance on the water).

Cheers
Kaspar

dutch

• Shipmate
« Reply #28 on: May 24, 2012, 04:43:50 pm »

Hello,

I really love this model! Wow!

do you think it's possible to add lights (fiber optics etc) to this model? or would it make her sink because of the weight/penetration of the hull?

have a nice day all!

ATB

• Shipmate
« Reply #29 on: May 25, 2012, 11:12:03 pm »

I don't think adding lights would be a problem at all, and it's something I would like to do in the future! :-)

dutch

• Shipmate
« Reply #30 on: May 26, 2012, 03:13:27 pm »

Judging from your pictures, it seems difficult to add light to the stern section because of all the kit/glue in that section of the hull piece.

Can you say anything about the bow? Is it also filled with kit?

boathound

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #31 on: June 04, 2012, 06:10:38 pm »

What ever you do get yourself some Matt Ronseal and VARNISH ALL THE DECKS. I've lost count how many coats I put on my Graupner Sharnhorst and parts of the stern deck still warp. Also be very careful of the paint especially the red of the hull as it rubs off easily and finding a match is a real "xxxxx". Make sure the tiny screws attaching the propeller to the drive shaft and those in the motor couplings are tight, they can work themselves loose at awkward moments so keep a tiny screw driver handy when you go sailing. Hope you enjoy it and unlike the real thing get much more than a single trip out of her!

ATB

• Shipmate
« Reply #32 on: June 04, 2012, 08:44:54 pm »

Hey thanks for the tips! :-) she wont see water before the decks are varnished, and one of the props are allready ruined due to the thread were the screw go are gone... but im looking for brass props to replace alll 3 but im having a hard time finding them.

dutch

• Shipmate
« Reply #33 on: June 07, 2012, 08:59:53 pm »

Hello, I have bought the Titanic last weekend. Great vessel, but indeed easy to damage... I have noticed that, when the vessel is put in the water, the hull needs to be dried afterwards. If not, the paint will get damaged.

It is possible to add light/use fiberglass in all of the port holes, but might be difficult at some places because behind the portholes there is some sort of deck plating.

The next couple of weeks I am planning to carefully dismantle the vessel, so I can add the lights.
I will also fix the inaccuracies that I have found in the Graupner Titanic, in order to make it a more exact replica of the RMS Titanic.
Hahn's Titanic plans and Peter Davies Garner book will be used....

If anyone needs any pictures of any specific part, please let me know!

ATB

• Shipmate
« Reply #34 on: June 07, 2012, 09:16:43 pm »

Nice to hear you got the vessel too! And please keep us updated on the process and the parts!  :}

How was the waterline when you had her in the water? do you have to add a lot of ballast?

dutch

• Shipmate
« Reply #35 on: June 08, 2012, 01:49:08 pm »

I added about 7,6 KG of ballast, she stayed afloat. The red part of the hull was still visible above the water line, for approximately half an inch.

dutch

• Shipmate
« Reply #36 on: June 24, 2012, 12:34:04 pm »

Hello,

The first couple of alterations have been (successfully) completed:

- The capstans on the fore deck and poop deck have been given a bronze top.
- The 2 cranes on the poop deck: The white/brown section of the basis has been painted entirely white (except for the stairs).
- The 2 masts have been painted brown.

Things that still need to be done (among others):

- Build 2 new crane bases for the C-deck section of the stern from scratch, Graupner has it totally wrong here
- Paint the railings of the stairs on C-deck white (on the C-deck where the cranes are)
- Drill or paint the port holes on C-deck, E-deck and F-deck (I'll probably drill them, for I am planning to add lights to the model
- Correct the rigging plan
- Paint the brown doors white, or maybe i'll replace them with white (painted) plastic doors
- change the color of the (top of the) life boats and add ropes and names to them
- Remove the top of the compass, so it gets a square shape
- Add a brown bottom to some of the supports for the cranes
- Remove the (dark) glass from the skylights and replace it with transparant plastic
- Lord Kelvin's sounding machines will be built from scratch

boathound

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #37 on: June 30, 2012, 07:57:53 pm »

Following this thread with great interest, any chance of seeing pic's of your improvements?

dutch

• Shipmate
« Reply #38 on: July 03, 2012, 10:22:21 pm »

Hello,

Yes, I'll post some pics soon.
The problem is that my camera is at my ex girlfriends, and I still need to go there to get it back :)

It's still a work in progress, and I haven't been able to complete a lot of tasks.

In the meanwhile I've ordered dr Hahn's Titanic Plans on a 1:150 scale (same scale as the model) to search for any inaccuracies.
Sadly enough, I've found many more. Some of them are very difficult to fix, the risk of damaging the model is immense.

Latest discoveries:

- The (grey) color of the roofs of the boat deck houses is incorrect. This should be dark blue (difficult).
- The roofs of both the starboard and portside parts of the bridge house are now white, they should be grey, just like the wheel house
- The morse lamps on top of the bridge are not modelled the correct way
- The telegraphs inside the wheel house, and the ones on the poop deck are completely gold, their sides should be white (with text)
- The portholes on C deck have been painted white, just like the windows just in front of the aft well deck. They are windows and should look as such. The problem here is the wooden construction right behind them inside the hull. It was my initial idea to drill the portholes, but I am not sure this is safe. I am considering alternative options.
- Some brown stairs miss a white railing
- The lamp on the mast is missing
- One of the coal vents on the poop deck points in the wrong directions
- The deck houses on boat deck don't have the brown wooden railing
- There is a door on the hull positioned at the wrong location. Portside, right below the fore well deck. Correct location would be about an inch to the right, and 1 inch below. This can be fixed, for the rivets and doors etc have been glued on the hull (at least in this section)

Earlier found inaccuracies:

- The capstans on the fore deck and poop deck should have a bronze colored top
- The 2 cranes on the poop deck. The white/brown section of the basis should be entirely white (except for the stairs).
- The 2 masts are yellowish, but must be painted brown.
- Cranes on the aft well deck are not correctly modelled.
- Rigging plan is not correct
- The brown doors on the model should be white
- The (top of the) life boats has the wrong color and misses ropes and names to them
- The top of the compass needs to be altered
- Add a brown bottom to some of the supports for the cranes
- Remove the (dark) glass from the skylights and replace it with transparant plastic
- Lord Kelvin's sounding machines will be built from scratch
- Portholes right below the fore deck and poop deck (C Deck) are painted white

The biggest mistake that Graupner is painting the windows/portholes on C deck white.
If anyone has any suggestion on how to fix this, please tell me.

Painting them black or blueish doesn't give me the natural feel I am looking for.

My initial plan was to drill the windows/portholes, but this will weaken the inside structure of the vessel.
That of course could be fixed by adding a plank to it, but I am not sure this is such a good idea.

The other major difficulty is to change the color of the grey roofs at the foot of the funnels (partially).
There are so many small objects there (of which most can be removed, with some controlled force, I took off the cranes to be able to paint them), but I'm afraid some will get damaged beyond repair.

Hope to post some pics soon!

Stavros

« Reply #39 on: July 03, 2012, 10:46:04 pm »

dutch please dont for one minute this is a dig at you Personally but does it really matter that there as some slight blunders on this model and at the end of the day that what it is,what I am getting at is you will soon become  so engrossed in changing this and that you will loose the enjoyment of this fine craft.

YES i do relaise it is annoying but please dont go down the route of a rivet counter trying to get perfection.You will soon get so fed up you will sell it.

Dave

Neil

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #40 on: July 03, 2012, 11:06:16 pm »

If anyone has any suggestion on how to fix this, please tell me.

yep..............sell it to me, I'd be very happy to take it off your hands for a couple of hundred euros..........so many mistakes on it,.......... and build your own from scratch from Hann's plans.............only then would you be truly satisfied of the accuracy of the model. %% %% %% %% %%

dutch

• Shipmate
« Reply #41 on: July 04, 2012, 10:12:17 pm »

dutch please dont for one minute this is a dig at you Personally but does it really matter that there as some slight blunders on this model and at the end of the day that what it is,what I am getting at is you will soon become  so engrossed in changing this and that you will loose the enjoyment of this fine craft.

YES i do relaise it is annoying but please dont go down the route of a rivet counter trying to get perfection.You will soon get so fed up you will sell it.

Dave

Dave, no worries...i'm not a rivet counter, but certain things will keep annoying me until they are fixed...sadly enough I do not have the time to use Hahn's plans to build a model from scratch, so I will make this one as close as possible to the original. I will not lose the enjoyment of this fine craft, I enjoy changing it, and I love it. I do however believe things can be improved, it will make me love the vessel even more :)

dutch

• Shipmate
« Reply #42 on: July 04, 2012, 10:13:22 pm »

yep..............sell it to me, I'd be very happy to take it off your hands for a couple of hundred euros..........so many mistakes on it,.......... and build your own from scratch from Hann's plans.............only then would you be truly satisfied of the accuracy of the model. %% %% %% %% %%

hahaha...nice try! funny though   %%

Neil

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #43 on: July 04, 2012, 10:37:16 pm »

I can live in hope.............probably die in dispair though. {:-{ {:-{ {:-{
neil.

Stavros

« Reply #44 on: July 04, 2012, 10:38:51 pm »

dutch so so glad you didnt take offence at what I said no offence was intended at all,and you saw it that way,so so many model boat owners get so carried away with getting them so so perfect and forget to get some enjoyment and use of it .i know where you are comming from where some of the small innacuracies can really get to you.
Enjoy what you are doing and enjoy your sailing

Dave

Tug-Kenny RIP

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #45 on: July 05, 2012, 11:33:41 am »

Hi Dutch,

Can you put your location into your Profile please.  Local members might be interested in seeing your Titanic.  (I know I would   :} )

What is the latest price for Hahns plans please.

Regards,

ken
Despite the high cost of living   .......... It remains popular

boathound

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #46 on: July 06, 2012, 07:10:21 pm »

There is a solution to your porthole problem. Go to your local model shop and buy some black "Trim line", then get a hole punch, the type used to make holes in leather belts that come with a choice of hole punch sizes. . Its very tedious but you won't have to worry about getting black paint/ink on the model. Used it for my Graupner Sharnhorst and it looks just fine 2 years on.

ATB

• Shipmate
« Reply #47 on: November 12, 2012, 09:39:05 pm »

Been a while since I have updated the topic, but the model has been sitting on the shelf above the TV until now. So I started to varnish the decks I just finished the first out of two layers on the hull. I will start with the first layer on the top section tomorrow.
1 out of two layers.

Not varnished at all:

Tug-Kenny RIP

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #48 on: November 12, 2012, 09:53:27 pm »

Smashing job. She looks great.     :-))

Ken

Despite the high cost of living   .......... It remains popular

Stormbringer

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #49 on: November 12, 2012, 10:26:39 pm »

lovely  :-))
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up

Page created in 0.097 seconds with 22 queries.