Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: Graupner Titanic  (Read 30316 times)

ATB

• Shipmate
Re: Graupner Titanic
« Reply #50 on: November 12, 2012, 10:55:58 pm »

Thank you!  :-)

ATB

• Shipmate
« Reply #51 on: November 14, 2012, 06:17:37 pm »

Finished the first coat of varnish on all the decks! Not gonna start with the second coat right away as i want it all to be completely dry before I start. I wish I had done this sooner as it makes the boat look so much nicer!

I will also fix the railing that looks bad from when it was damaged during shipping  :-))

adamD98

• Full Mayhemer
  • Born free, forced to work!
« Reply #52 on: November 16, 2012, 01:47:24 pm »

Hi there, what a stunning build, absolutely top class. Thoroughly enjoyed looking at your thread.  :-))
Cheers,

-Adam-

Hawke

• Shipmate
« Reply #53 on: November 17, 2012, 11:03:10 pm »

Hi, just seen this thread and thought I'd add that I've also got a Graupner Titanic. I've been a bit of a Titanic enthusiast for as long as I can remember and I'm pretty impressed with this model on the whole and am a very proud owner. I don't think I'll be changing too much on my model, particularly where colours are concerned - the photos I have of the real one are black and white so I doubt many people will question the small colour variations!

Haven't sailed mine yet but am just at the stage of cutting and laying sheets of lead ballast in the bottom. Mine arrived pretty much perfect bar a few bent railings and a missing / broken anchor on the port side. The railings were easily straightened out but I still need an anchor if anyone can help?

When I used to be more involved in R/C model boats many years ago I seem to recall that you could buy smoke pellets to pop inside funnels. Does anyone know if they're still available?

Good to see the thread, thank you.  :-)

ATB

• Shipmate
« Reply #54 on: November 18, 2012, 05:02:08 pm »

@adam, Thank you!  :-)

@Hawke, Yes, it's a beautiful ship! I won't be changing anything color wise either, I'm just varnishing the deck timber so it wont warp when it comes in contact with water. I still haven't decided if I will try the model on the water yet. As for the anchor I think you can call the place you bought the model from, they might be able to help you to get spare parts. I got my broken/missing items from the store I bought the model from :-) 

Hawke

• Shipmate
« Reply #55 on: November 18, 2012, 09:04:02 pm »

Thanks Adam. Interesting what's been said about the decks. Now you come to mention it the deck veneer running the length of the lower promenade (on the starboard side) is a bit wrinkly in places but, fortunately, doesn't show because it's enclosed. I think maybe I'd better varnish mine too as it's destined for the water.

I've just remembered I also had to straighten out the ladders that run up the front of the funnels, and some of those famous Welin davits.

I've been absolutely captivated by this model and have really admired the detail. I can't stop looking at it. Couldn't believe the accuracy of the deck benches. Heck, even the cast iron end frames have the correct design. There's no doubt about it, for a sad old (not so old, actually!) Titanic nut it's a delight. I always promised I'd build myself an R/C version of this liner one day but I'm not sure I need to now.

Have any of you chaps got any shots of her in the water? Would love to see them.

Graham

AllanD

• Shipmate
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #56 on: May 20, 2013, 09:36:50 am »

Can I ask what varnish you used on the decks?

Nightstriker

• Shipmate
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #57 on: July 29, 2016, 10:20:09 am »

Has any of you guys built lighting into the Graupner Titanic? I have ordered my model this week and I am already planning some alterations.  :-)
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up

Page created in 0.1 seconds with 22 queries.