Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: PT boat over the first hurdle - sort of  (Read 1904 times)

strokkur

• Shipmate
PT boat over the first hurdle - sort of
« on: May 08, 2012, 11:26:32 pm »

Hi All

Just thought I would post a couple of pics of my pt boat hull - now that it is an actual hull. Much sanding, fairing and filling to come - there are some lovely gaps (my cutting/sanding the frames is not as accurate as it might be) and a dint in the balsa at the front where I was carving it away and got too enthusiastic.
I'm quite pleased with it though as my first scratch build. I was going to cover it with just zpoxy (see my previous thread) before painting, but I chickened out of bending the lite ply round the bow and used balsa blocks instead. As I  had already bought the zpoxy I have ordered some glass fibre cloth and will use that as well.
I have some 2.4mm square obechi strip coming from Slec which I intend using for the spray rails and also, somehow to provide a straight, solid finish to the centre line join between the chines and at the bow. I'll also have enough lite ply then to add the deck and start the superstructure.

Cheers, Sam

Mad_Mike

• Full Mayhemer
  • Lincolnshire
Re: PT boat over the first hurdle - sort of
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2012, 09:15:50 am »

looking spot on that is. youl need to put some kind of protection on the wood like inside the bow before you put the deck on. a few coats of sanding sealer will do it fine.

Tug-Kenny RIP

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2012, 10:24:33 am »

Hi Sam and welcome to our club.

I've re-located your thread in the warships section as it is of interest to the members.  I shall watch your progress, as I have yet to build a 'Grey model' and will learn from your progress.

Keep them pictures coming in and ask any questions you need.   :-))

Cheers

ken
Despite the high cost of living   .......... It remains popular

strokkur

• Shipmate
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2012, 11:06:17 am »

Thanks Mike

Yes I'll be proofing the insides before I put the deck on. Actually I'm not going to put the rear deck on until I have the running gear installed as well so I have plenty of room to fiddle.

Ken thanks I'll keep updating so stay tuned. I've already had lots of questions - most of them seem to be answered by using the search button, this forum is a great resource, but I've also had great responses from members in my other thread.   :-))

Cheers, Sam
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.165 seconds with 21 queries.