Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Car Insurance cancellation  (Read 1811 times)

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
Car Insurance cancellation
« on: June 06, 2012, 07:10:56 pm »

I've just a bill for £100 from my Ex car insurance company.

I took out 12 months insurance and paid up front, but now they've sent me a bill for Not cancelling the insurance at the
end of the last 12 months... is that right?!?!

They said that it's their 'policy to continue to charge at the end of the period just in case you need it!'

OK I know I should have gone through the renewal notice more carefully but I checked the policy had expired and they wanted
money and naively thought that was the end of it. (I've also found out they tried to take another whole year insurance from my
credit card but the card issuer rejected it.)

I resent having to pay an extra month but having to pay a cancellation fee too for something I didn't ask for is really taking 'the
liquid waste product'!

I've a feeling I've been suckered big time .... is that what they hope for.   >>:-(

(  I have a company car now and my own car has been sitting on the drive off road for for months. )
(  I also now know about SORN too!  )  >:-o

"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

CF-FZG

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Car Insurance cancellation
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2012, 07:37:13 pm »

They said that it's their 'policy to continue to charge at the end of the period just in case you need it!'

Try phoning them and tell them 'its your policy to not pay for something you don't need, or ask for'

Mark.
Mark.

Tonka Toys - Big boys toys :)

kinmel

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2012, 08:01:22 pm »

Just about every contract does the same now.

You must remember that most U.K. service companies are now owned by Private Investment funds, who have no long term interest in the business.

They buy a company, quickly drive up the profits and then sell within a few years for much more than they paid for it.

That is why a new customer gets a far lower insurance quote than an existing loyal customer's renewal figure. They know many existing customers do not look around and just pay up the new premium.

hmsantrim

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2012, 08:42:11 pm »

I've just a bill for £100 from my Ex car insurance company.

OK I know I should have gone through the renewal notice more carefully but I checked the police had expired

Hi Martin.
                 Did`nt know your car insurance covered dead policeman.

cheers Frank  {-)

Stavros

« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2012, 09:23:46 pm »

Martin top tip here ins it at least for theft as if it is stolen you wont have a leg to stand on

Dave

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2012, 10:22:40 pm »

Hi Martin.
                 Did`nt know your car insurance covered dead policeman.

cheers Frank  {-)

Oops!   :embarrassed:
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

armc40

• Fall guy, it would appear !
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2012, 11:58:33 pm »

I'm not sure why, but my present car insurance wrote to me last week and informed me that my annual premium was being REDUCED as from June of this year and that my monthly premium rates had dropped from 27.47 to 21.69.

This has to be the first time ever that my car insurance premium has dropped, and I for one am not going to question their decision, although I still wonder if this has anything to do with the fact that a week before my policy was due for renewal I was checking all the price comparison sites in order to maybe get a better deal (which I couldn't)

My premium has now dropped to 236.64 per annum for fully comprehensive cover on a 2 litre turbo diesel                       wunnerful !
Making a mistake is not a sign of weakness. Failure to admit to having made a mistake is though !

Power corrupts whilst absolute power corrupts absolutely. Imaginary power is something else entirely !

dreadnought72

• Full Mayhemer
  • Wood butcher with ten thumbs
« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2012, 12:18:18 am »

Don't pay it, Martin.  :-))

THREE years ago I was with Direct Line. They were offering a twelve months for ten deal to new people, but not to long-standing customers, so I took umbrage and left them. I comparison-websited a new company, and arranged insurance through them with me paying for cover month-by-month. Within a week of my cover starting, they wrote asking me for proof of my No Claims. I tried to get this from Direct Line, but they said (at the time) that they didn't send this info to customers.

So I was stuck: New Company wanted proof, and wanted me to supply it, and Direct Line wouldn't ... and with time running out before the new company automatically stopped my insurance, I eventually tried another company: Swiftcover, who said they'd arrange everything. I paid the one month I felt I owed New Company and wrote and told them what was happening.

Swiftcover, meanwhile, sorted everything out.

A year later (!) the company sent a letter demanding the "missing" £280 I "owed" them. I wrote them a (polite) letter telling them the situation and what to do with it.

I heard nothing more.

A year later (!!) they wrote again.

I wrote back detailing my complaint and reminding them of my previous letter and that I believed this matter was closed.

They've just written again (!!!). The letter sent to me is badly spelled and full of grammatical errors.

I've ignored it so far, but if they persist I'll write back.

They come across as total chancers - maybe a few % of people cough up to clear "their debt" - but I'm not going to let this abuse (for that is what it is) get me down.

And in other news - I'm back with Direct Line, for they offered me a twelve-months-for-ten policy that I feel I ought have had in the first place!  %)

Andy
Enjoying every minute sailing W9465 Mertensia
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.097 seconds with 22 queries.