Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: TITANIC - her last hour afloat - Revell 1:1200 kit  (Read 6301 times)

John Leah

• Shipmate
TITANIC - her last hour afloat - Revell 1:1200 kit
« on: May 09, 2012, 03:48:20 pm »

It was a gloomy and realy wet rainy Saturday morning last weekend, my wife had gone away for the weekend to see her mother and left me £10 to get myself a coffee in town while I paid her banking in. Boredom had set in and I was soaked through as I walked past the only toyshop in Wokingham. I decided to go in and take cover from the rain, and found myself looking at a very limited selection of Revell starter kits - the choice was limited and without a model shop for miles, my dilemma began. It was either a kit of The Titanic or an upturned yellow and black pram that the french had stuck a citroen badge on and called a car. With my dilemma set in it was a choice of a quick kit of the Titanic or the warmth of Costa next door - my tenner would not do both. I have an unstarted 100 set of the Hachette Titanic that I have been meaning to start for years, but having just seen the beautiful Kate Winslett in the 3D Titanic re-release, I decided to grab the opportunity while wifey was away and departed with my tenner in the toy shop. Straight back home, wizzing through the list of jobs the Mrs had left me to do while she sipped her weekend away with her mother over endless tea and coffee in Cromer, and then straight down to the "Man Cave" - better known as my workshop. Working solidly through the weekend and this is what I have produced. Please enjoy - I did (including the time not having my wife finding extra things to do around the home while interupting me from modelling, like gloss work, painting etc - god help me if she ever reads this....  :-X
I chose to make a diaroma rather than use the display base supplied in the kit - luckily I still had some scraps of 2x1, some old picture framing edge timber and my trusty Vallejo Water Effects had not gone solid in the tub over the last 2 years since I last needed it

irishcarguy

• Full Mayhemer
  • Happiness is running from a grizzly and escaping
    • Britishcars International. org.
Re: TITANIC - her last hour afloat - Revell 1:1200 kit
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2012, 05:09:08 am »

What a way to spend the weekend, you have done a really stunning job of the sinking,I tip my hat to you, Mick B.
Mick B.

Capt Jack

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2012, 09:45:48 am »

Very very good   :-))

essex2visuvesi

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2012, 10:04:59 am »

Something different.... just goes to show what can be done with a cheap kit and that you dont need to spend 00's to get a good looking finished model
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity
Proud member of the OAM  (Order of the Armchair Modeller)
Junior member of the OGG  (Order of the Grumpy Git)

Dave13

« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2012, 10:17:30 am »

Hello
That look really great  :-)) :-))
Dave:)

Neil

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2012, 11:06:45 am »

that is incredible going for a weekend's work......just marvelous.
well done......now get going on that hatchett.........you'll have it finished by the time wifey gets home from cromer....time stands still over there, lol

Norseman

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2012, 11:48:08 am »

The thread began like a film Noire

A Bogart type voice bringing us into the story and probably chewing a matchstick
Standing in the rain with a deppresion era dilema; the dime'll only cover the Java or the Bagel
Joe toughs it out and takes some fast action

Hell, pity Joe has a 'wife' the story needs a dame (and I ain't talking Thora Hird here)
Dames huh -  they run off to their mothers, but they always come crawling back,
back to Joe in his cave, wanting his attention ..... Joe's never had the 'Dear John' letter

.......Then the thread takes a turn; it's a tragedy. Joe's thinking of a real dame 'Kate'
and he pours the drama out into his vision of the end, She's slipping away from him.
Oh! the pathos, Oh the humanity ...........

..... and Oh! what a beeping nice diorama John, very nicely done - any chance of another.
Pedestal maybe? :D I like seeing dioramas.

Dave

John Leah

• Shipmate
« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2012, 02:33:25 pm »

OK, so you like diaromas - hows about these that I made a few years ago (and boy did I get nagged close to death about the amount of time it took)

Norseman

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2012, 02:57:31 pm »

Cool 8) in fact tres  8) 8) 8)
Why the nagging? - you can't get up to any mischief if you are busy modeling - I'll never understand women.

Dave

oldiron

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2012, 06:31:27 pm »

Beautiful dioramas. I built a Short Sunderland years ago, and still have it. You've given me inspiration to do something with it.
How about a short thread on doing water in dioramas?

John

John Leah

• Shipmate
« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2012, 09:15:04 am »

Ok - I will post a set of pictures in a new topic about how i built the water bases
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.086 seconds with 22 queries.