Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Film - The Bedford Incident  (Read 1690 times)

deadbeat

• Full Mayhemer
Film - The Bedford Incident
« on: August 01, 2012, 11:41:23 am »

I saw this old B&W movie the other day; Richard Widmark and Sydney Poitier starring. What surprised me was that all real warship shots were that of a British Type 15 Frigate. the pennant number was clearly shown but I didn't have presence of mind to remember it. All real warship exterior shots also seemed to be filmed on this ship or another UK warship as items such as WT doors were definitely British. All model shots of the 'starring ' warship were that of a US destroyer.

I found it odd that they used a UK ship for the exterior shots, except of course the US military does not lend its assets to films where the US military is shown in a bad light; they refused to help with Crimson Tide for the same reason.

boatman 101

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Film - The Bedford Incident
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2012, 12:28:03 pm »

I saw this old B&W movie the other day; Richard Widmark and Sydney Poitier starring. What surprised me was that all real warship shots were that of a British Type 15 Frigate. the pennant number was clearly shown but I didn't have presence of mind to remember it. All real warship exterior shots also seemed to be filmed on this ship or another UK warship as items such as WT doors were definitely British. All model shots of the 'starring ' warship were that of a US destroyer.

I found it odd that they used a UK ship for the exterior shots, except of course the US military does not lend its assets to films where the US military is shown in a bad light; they refused to help with Crimson Tide for the same reason.

HI deadbeat yes i i have seen that film not long ago an i enjoyed it as its a good thriller an the captain  (richard widmark ) what a sob <*< :-))
chris

TailUK

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2012, 12:49:58 pm »

The Bedford Incident was shot mostly in the UK at Shepperton  The RN ship used primarily in the opening sequence was a W variation of the Type15; H.M.S. Wakeful (F159). The book described the Bedford as being a Charles F. Adams class DDG but the model used in the film seems to have been a Forrest Sherman it's similar predecessor.
No human society has ever functioned without models to capture, explain,disseminate,
persuade, sell, reinforce and analyse all kinds of ideas, values, concepts and situations.

Norseman

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2012, 03:59:30 pm »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hr08eaCHz2I a short clip - I always liked both those actors films.

Dave
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.121 seconds with 22 queries.