Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: The demise of Giant Cod  (Read 17459 times)

john s 2

• Full Mayhemer
Re: The demise of Giant Cod
« Reply #25 on: May 14, 2012, 05:49:38 pm »

Every thing costs money. Yes its nice to be able to talk direct but that person costs money and may stop other work hes doing. E mails can be dealt with when time permits. So there are two sides to this. John.

dodgy geezer

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #26 on: May 14, 2012, 06:42:24 pm »

Your right Bob, there after sales and customer service are/were appalling ... by my experience anyway.

To be fair, they said this up front.

They were a small bunch - most of their time was taken up importing model kit from China. They specifically said they were running a rock-bottom prices outfit, with NO separate time/cash allocated for customer support, providing replacements for items which failed in questionable circumstances, etc. They typically didn't even ship instructions with a lot of their kit - you were expected to know what you needed and order the right thing first time. Great if you had experience - not so good if you were a beginner. But they tried to make this clear...

kinmel

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #27 on: May 14, 2012, 07:52:35 pm »

Our boat club have been big believers in GiantCod and HobbyKing and we have fantastic service from both of them.

However, inexperienced club members are given a lot of help by the club when they first start buying from these companies, but buyers soon develop the skills necessary to use the Company's forums.

rmaddock

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #28 on: May 14, 2012, 08:12:00 pm »

I thought Giant Cod was fantastic. Their business model relied quite heavily on the associated web forum.  From there, you could receive all the support and advice you needed both from Cod himself and other customers.
It was a fantastic way of buying things.

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #29 on: May 14, 2012, 10:40:28 pm »

It was a fantastic way of buying things.

But not of selling them by the look of it....

dodgy geezer

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #30 on: May 18, 2012, 10:13:47 am »

Also noticed that all the Radiolink RC stuff has disappeared off the website     >>:-( >>:-( >>:-(  <*< <*< <*<

Some of it's back on again now (available 22 May) - and the scrolling news says that more is coming. R/C Combos at £24.85 and spare Rxs at £8.74. That's slightly LOWER than the original prices, which were £25.65 and £9.02. The GCS prices seem to be swinging around quite a bit...

They also say that they are going to stock UK-made R/C accessories...

essex2visuvesi

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #31 on: May 18, 2012, 10:56:43 am »

A lot of prices are changing at the moment.... The exchange rates seem to be a little unstable the past month or so
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity
Proud member of the OAM  (Order of the Armchair Modeller)
Junior member of the OGG  (Order of the Grumpy Git)

dodgy geezer

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #32 on: May 18, 2012, 11:41:48 am »

A lot of prices are changing at the moment.... The exchange rates seem to be a little unstable the past month or so

Just wait for Greece to go down...   %% %%

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #33 on: July 16, 2012, 09:45:36 pm »

Has anyone bought anything from giantshark recently?

How's the service?

http://www.giantshark.co.uk/index.php
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

Stavros

« Reply #34 on: July 16, 2012, 10:25:42 pm »

Yes Martin I have just bought 2 brushless ESC's off them oredered on Monday arrived on thursday cant complain at that

Dave

armc40

• Fall guy, it would appear !
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #35 on: July 17, 2012, 12:06:41 am »

I ordered a Frsky Futaba compatible 2.4 ghz Tx module and 8 channel Rx late last Thursday evening.....arrived Saturday morning...can't grumble at that ! 
Making a mistake is not a sign of weakness. Failure to admit to having made a mistake is though !

Power corrupts whilst absolute power corrupts absolutely. Imaginary power is something else entirely !

dodgy geezer

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #36 on: July 17, 2012, 09:24:39 am »

I believe that they now default to 2nd class post, which has caused some people to complain about postage speed. The forum has a big argument about their '24-hour shipping' promise - GS say that means 'end of next day', even if that's more than 24 hours away....

And there are continuing complaints about lack of stock, and their limited returns policy - though those have always been issues for some people. Has anyone got any recent news about the rumored new HobbyKing warehouse near Ipswich?

CF-FZG

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #37 on: July 17, 2012, 05:44:11 pm »

HobbyKing UK has been running for about a week now, stock levels are gradually building up.  The latest rumour I heard was that the German warehouse might be closing, and all stock moving to the UK setup.

Mark.
Mark.

Tonka Toys - Big boys toys :)

dodgy geezer

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #38 on: July 17, 2012, 08:54:24 pm »

Hmm...yes. So it is. It doesn't seem to have much in, though, and the prices are still in dollars....  {:-{

richald

• Full Mayhemer
  • Retired and loving it!
« Reply #39 on: July 17, 2012, 09:09:40 pm »

Re prices in dollars .....

1) look at the bottom of the lefthand 'column' where it shows pappal and the visa symbols
2) change from USD to GBP in the little dropdown box
3) press the 'back' button on the web browser panel (top left of window)
4) press the refresh button on the web browser panel (top right of window) this is a clockwise 'rotating' arrow

Most of the prices will now be in Pounds - some of the special sales pages seem to be 'hard-coded' and remain in dollars

Richard

BTW - top left  on the HobbyKing page there are three buttons GB EURO and GLOBAL - selecting one of these
will then only display items stocked in the relevant warehouse UK, Germany or (I think Hong Kong).
Senior member of the OGG (Order of the Grumpy Gits)
Membership Number : 002

dodgy geezer

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #40 on: July 17, 2012, 10:52:55 pm »

Thanks - I see they have now taken the price of a basic 2.4Ghz 4-channel combo down to £14.25   %% %%  I hope we get that in the UK store when they get all their supplies in.

Hard to see how it could get much lower.....

armc40

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #41 on: July 28, 2012, 10:59:40 pm »

Thanks - I see they have now taken the price of a basic 2.4Ghz 4-channel combo down to £14.25   %% %%  I hope we get that in the UK store when they get all their supplies in.

Hard to see how it could get much lower.....

maybe 12.00  +  50.00 postage a la Ebay ?
Making a mistake is not a sign of weakness. Failure to admit to having made a mistake is though !

Power corrupts whilst absolute power corrupts absolutely. Imaginary power is something else entirely !

dodgy geezer

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #42 on: July 29, 2012, 11:22:42 am »

maybe 12.00  +  50.00 postage a la Ebay ?

Don't think so - they have fairly standard postage...

armc40

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #43 on: August 01, 2012, 01:51:21 pm »

I ordered a Frsky Futaba compatible 2.4 ghz Tx module and 8 channel Rx late last Thursday evening.....arrived Saturday morning...can't grumble at that ! 

But can grumble at the fact that the RX proved to be faulty and I was informed that if I cared to return the item, it would be checked out (at my expense by a workshop external to GS) and if found to be in working order there would be another surcharge levied and return postage.

never mind...the bins were emptied yesterday !

armc40

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #44 on: August 01, 2012, 03:15:42 pm »

Don't think so - they have fairly standard postage...

Sorry DG  you missed the point.... many dealers on Fleabay are advertising items at ridiculously low prices and then asking for equally ridiculous postage fees as a way of getting round the final seller's commission payable !

bikerdude999

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #45 on: August 01, 2012, 04:01:44 pm »

Sorry DG  you missed the point.... many dealers on Fleabay are advertising items at ridiculously low prices and then asking for equally ridiculous postage fees as a way of getting round the final seller's commission payable !

I don't actually see the problem with that, you know the total cost before you buy, so make the choice, and i really can't blame them trying to up the percentage of what they get, ebay's fees are ridiculous.

dodgy geezer

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #46 on: August 01, 2012, 05:37:04 pm »

Sorry DG  you missed the point.... many dealers on Fleabay are advertising items at ridiculously low prices and then asking for equally ridiculous postage fees as a way of getting round the final seller's commission payable !

Indeed, that is a catch to look out for in a number of places. But my point was that you were suggesting that Hobby King might do it, and I don't think they do. For instance, if you wanted to buy that 2.4ghz Radio Combo I was talking about at £14.25, their website would charge you £7.45 to have it posted from Germany using Royal Mail Parcelforce.

That's not incredibly cheap, but it seems a reasonable enough cost. I don't know what it will be when we get the UK warehouse stocking them, but I expect it will be cheaper than that.....

CF-FZG

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #47 on: August 01, 2012, 06:12:42 pm »

But can grumble at the fact that the RX proved to be faulty and I was informed that if I cared to return the item, it would be checked out (at my expense by a workshop external to GS) and if found to be in working order there would be another surcharge levied and return postage.

Ahhh yes, the infamous GiantShark limited warranty.  It's not worth the paper it isn't printed on, and they rely on people believing it and deciding the extra costs might not be worth it <*< <*<

Mark.
Mark.

Tonka Toys - Big boys toys :)

armc40

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #48 on: August 01, 2012, 06:14:04 pm »

satire is dead ....long live satire

armc40

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #49 on: August 01, 2012, 06:16:27 pm »

Ahhh yes, the infamous GiantShark limited warranty.  It's not worth the paper it isn't printed on, and they rely on people believing it and deciding the extra costs might not be worth it <*< <*<

Mark.

Glad you think so too....as you said, many would just stump up and say nowt instead of cutting their losses and transferring their purchasing power elsewhere as I have done.

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up

Page created in 0.11 seconds with 22 queries.