Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: The demise of Giant Cod  (Read 17460 times)

ACTion

Re: The demise of Giant Cod
« Reply #50 on: August 01, 2012, 07:26:49 pm »

No business which is selling cheap foreign goods at very low margins and with no technical staff or back-up can offer a warranty worth the name. Who was it that said "Buy cheap, buy twice"?
Caveat emptor, gentlemen.
DM

dodgy geezer

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #51 on: August 01, 2012, 08:02:45 pm »

I have just been checking post prices of Hobby King and Giant Shark.

Giant Shark prices start at £2.36 (second class cheapest), but a more credible up to 1Kg weight is £2.87 (going up to £5.84 for up to 2Kg, and £7.42 for up to 3Kg)

Hobby King seem to have a base £7.25 price for anything up to 3Kg. This applies to one micro servo, so I doubt that many people will be buying small items from HK.....

P.S. for reference, Royal Mail Packet charges for these price points (making some assumptions) are:

1kg - £3.50
2kg - £5.30
3kg - £8.80

wullie/mk2

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #52 on: August 01, 2012, 08:06:17 pm »

No business which is selling cheap foreign goods at very low margins and with no technical staff or back-up can offer a warranty worth the name. Who was it that said "Buy cheap, buy twice"?
DM
by the same token,buy expensive,..and it does,nt always do as it says on the tin,...£11.99 for 500ml paint remover,...crap,...£3.99 for 1lt,...have used less than 250ml....job done,
Wullie,s place is an apology free zone

armc40

• Fall guy, it would appear !
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #53 on: August 01, 2012, 08:56:58 pm »

DM

Yeah Mr A, but the Frsky kit bought from GS wasn't exactly cheap, and after postage charges....even less so !
I have a contact in Singers who assures me that prices over there are running approx. 33% less than here, and when I lived in IL. we're talking about 50% !

What have the Penguin Pelican and HMR&C all have in common ?

Bill
Making a mistake is not a sign of weakness. Failure to admit to having made a mistake is though !

Power corrupts whilst absolute power corrupts absolutely. Imaginary power is something else entirely !

CF-FZG

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #54 on: August 01, 2012, 10:08:00 pm »

DM

It doesn't excuse them from the SoGA or DSRs, which is what they're trying to wriggle out of :police:
Mark.

Tonka Toys - Big boys toys :)

armc40

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #55 on: August 01, 2012, 10:30:30 pm »

It doesn't excuse them from the SoGA or DSRs, which is what they're trying to wriggle out of :police:

Too true, but aren't the  SoGA or DSRs covered by the Human Rights Act too ?   would be very surprised if they weren't !!
Making a mistake is not a sign of weakness. Failure to admit to having made a mistake is though !

Power corrupts whilst absolute power corrupts absolutely. Imaginary power is something else entirely !

RAAArtyGunner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #56 on: August 01, 2012, 10:43:56 pm »

Sorry DG  you missed the point.... many dealers on Fleabay are advertising items at ridiculously low prices and then asking for equally ridiculous postage fees as a way of getting round the final seller's commission payable !

Am I wrong in that fleabay and Faypal fees are calculated on the total cost amounts, which includes postage.
Indeed, the same seller on fleabay, will often have multiple listing of the same item, but with different costs and postage, but, always ending up with the same total cost.
Gunna build those other boats one day.

armc40

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #57 on: August 01, 2012, 11:03:54 pm »

Too true, but aren't the  SoGA or DSRs covered by the Human Rights Act too ?   would be very surprised if they weren't !!

Work it out for yourself cobber.....I decided to test this theory for myself and sold 2 identical items on Flea Bay in June   1 for 25 quid plus 2 quid postage   and one for 10 quid plus 15 quid postage

you'll never guess what???   monthly ebay invoice came to       Item 1 fee 2.5 quid
                                                                                           Item2  fee 1.0 quid

Needless to say, the 'buyer' was a co-conspirator !

CF-FZG

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #58 on: August 02, 2012, 07:57:24 am »

I don't see why they would be as they come under consumer rights.  I fail to see how coming under the HRA would affect them anyway??

Mark.
Mark.

ACTion

« Reply #59 on: August 02, 2012, 08:08:41 am »

Yeah Mr A, but the Frsky kit bought from GS wasn't exactly cheap, and after postage charges....even less so !
What have the Penguin Pelican and HMR&C all have in common ?
As I said, let the buyer beware. You knew the price when you ordered the goods.

If you re-read what I said then you'll see that I'm offering no excuses at all for this company; if they fall foul of the various consumer laws then so be it. As for the Human Rights Act, it's an ill-assorted muddle of nebulous waffle conjured up by airheads in Brussels to placate the bleeding-heart liberals who pervade society. I spent a week on a training course about it and came out even more confused than when it started. However, one thing for sure is that it has nothing to do with these circumstances.

"HMRC are only doing their job"; my pleasure was to tell them what to do with that job six years ago. It's become a joke department run by imbeciles who can only count beans while they wait to be told what to cut next. Whose bright idea was it to pay a fifty quid "bounty" to folk who shop their friends and neighbours for paying cash to the plumber (or for being that plumber)? That's a surefire way to tie up what scant resources they do have on petty cases with no certainty that the allegations aren't just spite, revenge or envy.

Rule Britannia - Britannia waves the rules. God bless cricket, buttered crumpets and Bradley Wiggins!

Dave M

armc40

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #60 on: August 02, 2012, 11:31:39 am »

I don't see why they would be as they come under consumer rights.  I fail to see how coming under the HRA would affect them anyway??

Mark.

Mark

Please see my post of 6.14 pm yesterday

armc40

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #61 on: August 02, 2012, 11:36:28 am »

As I said, let the buyer beware. You knew the price when you ordered the goods.

If you re-read what I said then you'll see that I'm offering no excuses at all for this company; if they fall foul of the various consumer laws then so be it. As for the Human Rights Act, it's an ill-assorted muddle of nebulous waffle conjured up by airheads in Brussels to placate the bleeding-heart liberals who pervade society. I spent a week on a training course about it and came out even more confused than when it started. However, one thing for sure is that it has nothing to do with these circumstances.

"HMRC are only doing their job"; my pleasure was to tell them what to do with that job six years ago. It's become a joke department run by imbeciles who can only count beans while they wait to be told what to cut next. Whose bright idea was it to pay a fifty quid "bounty" to folk who shop their friends and neighbours for paying cash to the plumber (or for being that plumber)? That's a surefire way to tie up what scant resources they do have on petty cases with no certainty that the allegations aren't just spite, revenge or envy.

Rule Britannia - Britannia waves the rules. God bless cricket, buttered crumpets and Bradley Wiggins!

Dave M

Pikelets where I was brung up !

CF-FZG

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #62 on: August 02, 2012, 06:44:04 pm »

Please see my post of 6.14 pm yesterday

Oops :embarrassed:

Pikelets where I was brung up !

Me too, where were you brung up??

Oatcake here :-)
Mark.

Tug-Kenny RIP

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #63 on: August 02, 2012, 09:23:10 pm »

Gentlemen.   Please stay with the topic

ken

Despite the high cost of living   .......... It remains popular

armc40

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #64 on: August 03, 2012, 04:17:12 pm »

please sir..I didn't start it sir...it was action minor over there Sir !!

dodgy geezer

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #65 on: August 03, 2012, 06:12:08 pm »

Gentlemen.   Please stay with the topic

ken

Speaking as the person who started the topic, I would be grateful to know what it is, so that I can stay with it.   :embarrassed: :embarrassed:

Given that we now have at least two very cheap internet model shops in this country (GS and HK), I think there is some mileage in discussing their respective merits and demerits. AFAICS:

• both provide rock-bottom price Chinese kit, with some items at practically unbeatable prices
  • the 'unbeatable price' items are often of poor specification, but may be useful for a modeller who can take this into account
  • both 'ship boxes', which frequently means poor quality control and poor or non-existent support
  • both appear to have unreliable stocking practices
  • both seem to have some issues with T&Cs - GS with its return policy, HK with its shipping prices

Any advance on this....?

RAAArtyGunner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #66 on: August 03, 2012, 10:34:43 pm »

Speaking as the person who started the topic, I would be grateful to know what it is, so that I can stay with it.   :embarrassed: :embarrassed: 

That's easy, its about the demise of giant cod fishing in UK  O0 %) %)
Gunna build those other boats one day.
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up

Page created in 0.089 seconds with 22 queries.