Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: jump jets  (Read 3166 times)

slug

• Full Mayhemer
jump jets
« on: May 10, 2012, 08:32:42 pm »

we sold our jump jets to the U.S.A ,now we are going to buy some more.silly or not.   slug

john s 2

• Full Mayhemer
Re: jump jets
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2012, 08:53:23 pm »

Can you explain this a little more please? What plane? Was this a news article/ Thanks John.

F4TCT

• I am not completely useless.......I can always serve as a BAD example
  • Full Mayhemer
    • My Boat Builds
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2012, 08:58:03 pm »

Shipmate60

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
  • You bark - I will bite!!!
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2012, 08:59:35 pm »

Its been all over the news for the last 2 days.

BBC

Bob
Officially a GOG.

john s 2

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2012, 09:20:57 pm »

Thanks for the links lads. Only 100million wasted by this u turn. I awaite the next fiasco. John.

Andyn

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2012, 10:53:34 pm »

The BBC are calling them 'jump jets' too now? Christ, talk about dumbing down.

The X-35 project was a dead duck right the way through the Joint Strike Fighter program, it never worked, Boeing's X-32 was a far superior aircraft, cleared tests long before the 35, and would have cost less. Unfortunately due to the US government preferring Lockheed, and Boeing's financial situation at the time they settled on the 35. It's a shame really, because the 35 can only carry two air to air weapons plus cannon, which is about as useful as throwing chocolate teapots at the enemy.

This has been going on for 11 years now, and we could have made the X-35 at BAE a long time ago if the Americans trusted us with the designs. Unfortunately they don't.

The ironic thing is that before the merge of the programs, this was called the "Common Affordable Lightweight Fighter Program" whereas in reality it's about $200 billion over budget, and the X-35 weighs 2 tons more than an F-15.

Jimmy James

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2012, 10:01:04 am »

All this politicking Gets us no where ... People forget that WE ARE AN ISLAND and need a strong Navy, no government since the time of Alfred the Great has dared to let the Naval strength get below a certain strength as everytime it went below that line we went to war and almost lost until the navy was brought up to strength ...The last time was the Falkands .We have gone from the most powerful maritime nation in the world in 50 years to one of the weakest. Our Merchant Navy from being the largest in the world (Over 5000 Ships of over 7000 tones) Has been sold down the the river (to less than 250 ships of over 7000 tones)  in the mid 60's when I left the Navy and went into the Merchant Navy nearly every Port in the WORLD had a ship in it flying the old Red Duster now you can go for years with out seeing it except on a yacht. This country can't even feed its self anymore with out relying on Foreign Bottoms to carry the cargo's ...both Germany and Japan have much larger merchant navy's than we do and the Japanese "Defence Force" is the 3rd largest (and most modern ) in the world .SO what went wrong A large part of the blame goes to the Yanks they have allways been afraid of us and our war debts (WW1 & WW2) gave them the lever they needed with a session of greedy, weak governments we have been sold down the River Big time
 I shall now put away my soap box,  but I leave you with 1 thought. What happened to the supersonic Harrier?????? I know the plans used to be in existence???????
Jimmy James
Retired  Ships Officer/ Master.
Experience: 50+ years at sea under Sail, Steam & Motor
Kings Lynn

DavieTait

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2012, 12:19:04 pm »

It got cancelled , possible due to inter service problems with the RAF ( vaguely remember them demanding the money was spent on more Tornadoes instead of giving the Navy a supersonic Harrier )
Davie Tait,
Scotland

raflaunches

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
  • The Penguins are coming!!!
« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2012, 02:34:18 pm »

It got cancelled , possible due to inter service problems with the RAF ( vaguely remember them demanding the money was spent on more Tornadoes instead of giving the Navy a supersonic Harrier )

Not only was it cancelled, at the same time as  the TSR2 had flown and was only months away from entering RAF service, the Supersonic Harrier (P-1164) had a full mock up built and the engine (which is in the FAA Museum at Yeovilton) had been test run and proved to be more than capable of propelling the modified Harrier airframe.  The aircraft was supposed to have 80-85% common parts with the subsonic variant, but as usual the government of the time 'could not see a possible need for a supersonic Harrier'!  Bet they had when the Falklands came along, just imagine the different out come if we had the supersonic harrier!
Just a bit of extra info, the Tornado was not started to be designed until the mid 1970s and the supersonic Harrier was designed in the mid sixties at the same time as the subsonic Harrier.
Aircraft projects in that time was really screwed up by the governments and the MoD, just imagine the RAF with TSR2 long range strike bombers, a STOL large transport aircraft and the RAF and RN had supersonic Harriers as fighter defence.   
Nick B

Help! The penguins have stolen my sanity, and my hot water bottle!

Illegitimi non carborundum!

swordfish fairey

• Shipmate
« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2012, 04:09:36 pm »

There is/was/will be only one "Jump Jet" and that is this one....All the rest are just second best......I do have an interest having worked on these for a while.....Tony
Fly Navy
Sail Army
Walk sideways..

TailUK

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2012, 06:55:53 pm »

I'm put in mind of a limerick I heard years ago.

"What a wonderful beast is the Harrier,
It takes off quite close to the barrier,
It caries enough stores,
To start several wars,
From a wood or a beach or a carrier."

Our military has always suffered from the Government's interference in procurement. 
We sell Harrier to the Americans and now we have to buy they're idea of it's replacement.

"As soon as this pub closes the revolution starts"
No human society has ever functioned without models to capture, explain,disseminate,
persuade, sell, reinforce and analyse all kinds of ideas, values, concepts and situations.

slug

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #11 on: May 11, 2012, 07:38:43 pm »

in the meantime why couldnt  we have kept the ones we had, saved a lot of money....

Andyn

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #12 on: May 11, 2012, 08:47:54 pm »

The 'Supersonic Harrier' Never made it past trials, flying for only 7 months as not only could the airframe not take the stresses of supersonic flight, but the dirty great nozzle they added to it overheated every time it was angled down on the ground. The prototype is in the museum at Kemble.

swordfish fairey

• Shipmate
« Reply #13 on: May 11, 2012, 09:27:06 pm »

The 'Supersonic Harrier' Never made it past trials, flying for only 7 months as not only could the airframe not take the stresses of supersonic flight, but the dirty great nozzle they added to it overheated every time it was angled down on the ground. The prototype is in the museum at Kemble.

That aircraft never flew in that configuration.  XV798 a Hawker Siddeley Harrier GR.1 on display at the Bristol Aero Collection at Kemble, England. It was withdrawn from serivce after a crash on 23 April 1971 and used by Rolls-Royce as a static engine test bed for a supersonic variant of the Harrier......Tony
Fly Navy
Sail Army
Walk sideways..

Kangaroo1

• Shipmate
« Reply #14 on: May 11, 2012, 10:56:01 pm »

I'm with you on that Tony! I served on 3 Sea Harrier Squadrons in the '80's, based at Yeovilton. We were the envy of the aviation world and kicked everyone's 'bottom' in the air combat arena. Everybody knew what a "Sea Harrier jump jet" was, compared to the GR3, GR5, or AV8A/B.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.101 seconds with 22 queries.