Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Sail Winches  (Read 3159 times)

Steve

• Full Mayhemer
Sail Winches
« on: May 08, 2012, 09:03:22 pm »

Hello everyone, I am presently fitting a genoa sail to my Robbe Atlantis this is a retro fit,
I wasn't happy with the geared motor that winds the sail in and out around a forward boom, so I am trying to introduce a sail winch servo using a timing belt as the ladder chain that was supplied was a nightmare to fit plus it had a habit of jumping the sprockets.
I am using Hitec servos throughout my boat, the sail winch servos are Hitec HS-785HB
I am using two already in the build one for the main sails and one for the genoa, and everything is working fine when connected to my Spektrum AR8000 receiver.
However when I connect the third winch servo everything goes haywire.
Are three heavy servos too much for the receiver?, am I missing something, does anyone have any advice?
Im using a spectrum DX8 also.

Kind Regards
Steve.

rmaddock

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Sail Winches
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2012, 09:13:28 pm »

Hi Steve,

I imagine that 3 winches could draw more than the Rx battery can cope with. It's usual to use a separate battery to supply power to the winches.

Steve

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2012, 09:18:02 pm »

I thought that may be the case, however I did not know that you could power the winches separately.
Is there any information anywhere that I may find this?

Thanks for the quick reply.
Steve.

rmaddock

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2012, 09:27:01 pm »

Yep.
I can't find a diagram but....you simply add a nice chunky 6v battery and connect the black and red wires from the servos to this. The signal wire from the Rx stays in place.  I think you need to connect all the negatives together too...a common earth.....but I'd double check.
Alternatively, Action Electronics supply power supply solutions for model boats that take all the guess work out of it. 

Steve

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2012, 09:50:43 pm »

Thats brilliant I think I will connect all the winches that way. due to ballast reasons I added two 6v lead acids giving me 8amp so should to man enough.
Thanks for your help, its been problem after problem since I decided to go for this genoa sail but I have enjoyed the challenge.
I presume these winches are fine running on 6v? I would expect the torque would be increased also?
Cheers once again for that.
Steve.

Brian Roberts

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2012, 10:51:27 pm »

Hi
Interested to know why you've added 2x6v lead acids to your Atlantis, that's a lot of weight!
Brian

Steve

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2012, 11:15:51 pm »

Hiya Bryan don't know if you remember last year I was trying my boat in water to get the ballast sorted, she was riding about 15mm high at the bow even though the ballast weight
was in the correct place,
I worked out that to drop the bow I would need 7 pounds in weight and two 6volt lead acid batteries did the trick.

Islander51

• Shipmate
« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2012, 09:03:25 am »

I use a "Y" lead; battery and servo to the ends of the Y, and the last into the Rx on channel 3.
  This way the servo is powered by the battery, and the Rx is powered from the servo, this then powers the steering servo.
I'm not sure about multiple sail servos and batteries...have to think about that...

Edward.

essex2visuvesi

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2012, 10:47:12 am »

This is what I have used in the past.

Takes the draw away from the RX power bus

They are quite cheap so you could make up 3 of them

Note the yellow wire is the signal wire (Usually white) but white didn't show in the pic
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity
Proud member of the OAM  (Order of the Armchair Modeller)
Junior member of the OGG  (Order of the Grumpy Git)
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.092 seconds with 22 queries.