Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Hi all  (Read 1975 times)

nant

• Shipmate
Hi all
« on: May 14, 2012, 12:25:31 pm »

Hey to all  there. I am new to model boats. I normally find myself kite surfing or riding out on the motorbike, but unfortunately i have destroyed my knee so I am awaiting surgery. So need to find something to do which doesnt involve moving too much!

Been doing airfix models the past month or so. Found my old boat from the loft. its not been used for about 18 years. Not sure who made it or where my father got it from. But i fancy getting it going again. The battery has completely corroded. Its a 6 volt battery.

This is a picture of it with the canopy off. Its got some old school radio controller with it. So where do i start?

boatmadman

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Hi all
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2012, 12:37:04 pm »

Hi,

Welcome to the madhouse, you will get lots of advice some of which might be helpful - or not!

Anyway, where to start. Check out the rating of the motor and buy a new battery matched to the voltage rating, use Nimh batteries for this, they are cheaper and easier to charge than Lipo, also the weight is useful for a little ballast.

If you are electrically minded in anyway, try and find out what the current draw on the motor is with the hull in water, this will allow you to get a speed controller to suit.

The controller in the boat is an older resistance type controller, it will do the job ok (as long as it is undamaged), but, it will waste power and reduce endurance. You should consider an electronic esc.

This guy is very helpful and has good products: http://www.action-electronics.co.uk/

The radio gear: for boats you need either 27mhz, 40mhz or 2.4 Ghz sets. That one of yours looks like 27mHz. If its still working, there is no real need to change it, just put in some new batteries and make sure the crystals in the handset and receiver match.

Once all is powered up, check operation of the steering servo, it may be ok, they are quite robust. If not, replacement with a standard servo is cheap enough.

Having done that, test in the domestic test tank and if all ok, off to the pond and have fun.

Hope this helps, keep us informed and, we like pictures!

Ian
if at first you dont succeed.....have a beer.....

Subculture

• Full Mayhemer
    • Dive-in to Model submarines
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2012, 01:54:35 pm »

Well it looks like you have a Bob's board in there, so you wion't be needing anything too highly specced for your boat, as they couldn't handle a lot of power.

Circlip

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2012, 02:42:53 pm »

and make sure the crystals in the handset and receiver match.

And make sure you're flying the correct colour frequency flag on your transmitter for the frequency you're using. Sanwa supplied all six with their Mini - two which is what you've got, 27Mcs.

Regards   Ian.
You might not like what I say, but that doesn't mean I'm wrong.

What I said is not what you  think you heard.

HS93 (RIP)

• Full Mayhemer
  • I cannot spell , tough
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2012, 03:09:32 pm »

Yes TOY planes fall out of the sky if you don't. and then the owners get cranky.

Peter

Circlip

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2012, 03:11:45 pm »

Aye, and TOY boats can bonk the bank.  ;D

Regards  Ian.
You might not like what I say, but that doesn't mean I'm wrong.

What I said is not what you  think you heard.

Subculture

• Full Mayhemer
    • Dive-in to Model submarines
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2012, 03:20:21 pm »

Also bear in mind that the set you have, being old school Sanwa will most likely have a different pin arrangement to the current standard.

http://www.fatlion.com/sailplanes/servos.html

CJ

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2012, 06:47:58 pm »

Yeah, I can confirm that Ian  <:(
"Blessed is he who, in the name of charity and good will, shepherds the weak through the valley of the darkness"
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.1 seconds with 21 queries.