Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Probably a stupid question  (Read 1875 times)

pegleg

• Shipmate
Probably a stupid question
« on: May 15, 2012, 10:28:09 am »

Hi to all,
I am new to this forum. I used to do a lot of R/C cars (and a few boats) years ago,but it seems the frequencies have all changed since I used 27Mhz all those years ago. What is worse,I now spend a lot of time in France,and have absolutely no idea of the frequencies in use here.Does anyone on this board know? There are few clubs of any sort here to do with modelling,and no shops in the immediate area or even away. Any advice welcomed,even regarding the "rules" in the UK for a lapsed R/Cer.
All my gear is really old too,with the very early Futaba plug/sockets. I could change for new ones but the price of a socket and plug is probably more than a new servo these days!
Cheers.
Pegleg

essex2visuvesi

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Probably a stupid question
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2012, 12:19:20 pm »

your 27Mhz units will be fine

also legal are 40Mhz (AM and FM) and 2.4GHz

there are 35MHz Units available BUT these are for AIRCRAFT use only
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity
Proud member of the OAM  (Order of the Armchair Modeller)
Junior member of the OGG  (Order of the Grumpy Git)

Guy Bagley

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2012, 12:44:32 pm »

my parents live in france and i know that some  waterbourne craft in france use the 35mhz spectrum....

you should ask one of the great french modellers who frequent this forum  vivaldi perhaps or xtian for the latest update for what you can use in france  before investing in new kit....
all in all its just another brick in the wall......

dodgy geezer

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2012, 04:30:02 pm »

This is the best source for international frequencies that I know: http://www.rc-network.de/magazin/artikel_05/art_05-027/art_027-01eng.html

The French page is here - you will see that it is a bit complex... http://www.rc-network.de/magazin/artikel_05/art_05-027/laender/FRA.pdf

R/C has changed a bit since the old 27Mhz days. Your equipment is still legal, but, depending on where you operate your boat, you may find that you get a lot of interference from 27Mhz 'toys'.

A lot of modelling hobbyists in the UK moved to 35Mhz (for aircraft) or 40Mhz(for boats/cars) when these became available (in the 1980s, I think?). Buying a new one of these sets will be quite expensive. But recently 2.4Ghz became available for use.

2.4Ghz has a number of advantages:

1 - it uses the same band as 'wireless' computer communication. This means that it does not use a separate spot frequency for each model, but instead uses a more complicated command protocol, part of which involves 'binding' a particular transmitter and receiver together. Once you have done this, you do not need to worry about interference, and a practically unlimited number of models may fly together on what appears to be the same frequency...

2 - 2.4Ghz sets can be VERY cheap. Chinese-made Transmitter/Receiver imports range from £50 to £20! At the lower end the quality control may be poor, but they seem to work...!

I would keep your old Futaba as a vintage item, and consider a low-cost 2.4Ghz....

pegleg

• Shipmate
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2012, 08:11:52 pm »

Thanks for the replies,I will have to look out for a 2.4 Ghz next time I'm back in the UK. Looking at that link it would appear that aircraft are ok on all frequencies and that cars/boats only on some. There are few model boaters that I have seen,and no aircraft flyers at all,despite the open areas and plenty of lakes,so apart from the toy stuff on 27Mhz I should not have to worry about interference.
Thanks again for the advice.
Cheers
Pegleg

malcolmfrary

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2012, 10:27:25 am »

Aircraft users, if they have any sense, will avoid 27MHz although they are legally entitled to use it.  If they use 40MHz, they are asking for woe and trouble of their own making.  2.4GHz has its own way of working, and all the advantages, unless you intend to go for a submarine.
"With the right tool, you can break anything" - Garfield
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.089 seconds with 21 queries.