Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: ESC positioniong  (Read 1887 times)

Sir Albert

• Full Mayhemer
ESC positioniong
« on: May 24, 2012, 07:08:50 pm »

Just a bit of advise really I am about to put my electrics together and was wondering about the positioning of my marine viper 15 ESC. 

I have a 1/96 Type 42 hull and where ever I put them I am going to have a mass of wires close to the battery or the motor terminals which will make it hard to wire and make it look untidy.  I thought about building a woodern shelf below the water line that spans the prop shafts (away from the trust bearings)  drill holes either side of the ESC and fix with a cable tie. The questions are

1, is this an acceptable method or would I be better off fixing the ESC with velco to the bottom of the hull?
2, If it acceptable how hot will the ESC get (fear of melting the cable tie?
3, is there any risk of interferance being so close to the motors?

Mad_Mike

• Full Mayhemer
  • Lincolnshire
Re: ESC positioniong
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2012, 10:47:42 pm »

sounds fine to me. The motor wont interfere with the esc and vice versa, plus the esc wont get that hot to melt the cable tie, unless something is severly wrong and by then the boat will have cut out a fried long a go.

What will interfere though is the receiver being near the motor IF you are using either a 27mhz or 40mhz system. Youl will need suppression capacitors on the motor and keep the receiver at least a couple of inches away from the motor further is better, the speed controllers not so much a problem in regaurding being close to the receiver.

Sir Albert

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2012, 11:12:45 pm »

sounds fine to me. The motor wont interfere with the esc and vice versa, plus the esc wont get that hot to melt the cable tie, unless something is severly wrong and by then the boat will have cut out a fried long a go.

What will interfere though is the receiver being near the motor IF you are using either a 27mhz or 40mhz system. Youl will need suppression capacitors on the motor and keep the receiver at least a couple of inches away from the motor further is better, the speed controllers not so much a problem in regaurding being close to the receiver.

Cheers, I have already fitted supression capacitors to the motors.  I just want it to all look nice and neat, the other problem is the wires on the ESC are quite long, but if I cut the cables to shorten them I invalidate the warranty on them which is a bit of a pain.

john s 2

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2012, 09:04:25 pm »

It is always a good idea to mount the esc out the way of water.some boats do tend to take some on. Your esc is waterproof anyway.How to fit itis up to you. I use double sided tape myself. It would be a good idea to fuse your wiring as its better a fuse than an Esc. John.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.101 seconds with 22 queries.