Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Fairey Huntsman - Old timer  (Read 12064 times)

olly4950

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Fairey Huntsman - Old timer
« Reply #25 on: June 09, 2012, 10:06:14 am »

Just fitted a T600 brushless in Huntsman.
producing 22000rpm on 22.2v
Running it out of water it gets very hot.
On those revs my propshaft will survive due to the roller and Teflon bearings.
Will try to get more speed on this setup,  but I will put a new propshaft in boat in the forthcoming months.
I also have a new 34" Huntsman hull grp to start,  would like to make one in racing livery.
Need dimensions for propshaft and rudder.
Olly4950

HS93 (RIP)

• Full Mayhemer
  • I cannot spell , tough
« Reply #26 on: June 09, 2012, 10:12:29 am »

I think Paul is mad busy at the moment as soon as he is free I am shore he will get back to you, but yes rip it out are you using grease in the shaft ?

Peter

olly4950

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #27 on: June 09, 2012, 12:07:58 pm »

Hi, thanks for info.
The shaft is greased.

HS93 (RIP)

• Full Mayhemer
  • I cannot spell , tough
« Reply #28 on: June 09, 2012, 12:13:42 pm »

get rid off the grease and use light oil the shaft is for ic , thats fine but dont use grease if you want speed. thats what we have found anyway.

Peter

olly4950

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #29 on: June 09, 2012, 12:52:56 pm »

Thank you,  will get rid of grease.

red181

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #30 on: June 09, 2012, 11:33:52 pm »

Have you got a link to the motor, I would like to see the full spec,

Hot on the bench is a bad sign, under loasd its going to get hotter (probably)

can you post a pic of motor fitted, what ratio are you now on?

As regards to shaft angle, its obviously bugging you, so get it out :-)), molegrips on shaft, twist till it breaks free. Now that hull is different to my Veron, so I can only tell you what I have, we made  a disc 55mm, theory being that will be (and is) the biggest prop you are likely to fit. Flat one side of the disc to rest on the upturned hull, and give yourself 2mm clearance, now you have your prop angle. As well as a different manufacturer of the hull, I have the 28, you have the aft cabin 31, which again has differences, so MY info is my shaft is 13" long.

Rudder is too far forward, back end of blade needs to be 1/2 inch in from rear of hull, then from prop to rudder leave some room for a water pickup, and so you can get the prop on and off, now you have the distance set, with the disc set the angle, and epoxy in! :-))

Now, this is my boat, many many people have enjoyed success with veron and prescendent hulls with different setups, ic and electric. Electric weight distribution is very different with no fuel tank, no exhaust, but batteries etc, this could be why some changes need to be made, maybe someone with a prescedent hull can advise further?

some pics might help you, here is the align motor when that was fitted, and the rudder/prop/water pickup on my boat

olly4950

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #31 on: June 10, 2012, 01:17:42 pm »

Paul,  sent a message with info on motor.
The ratio is 14 teeth to 16 teeth.

red181

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #32 on: June 10, 2012, 07:24:40 pm »

ok, I can now offer some substance to my comments! :} that motor running almost 1:1 will get hot, the 1100kv running on 6 cells needs to be geared down, lets assume our hulls are same, they are pretty damn close!, when I ran the align motor which was 1260kv my best ratio, a combination of speed/runtime/heat/prop was 2.5:1, 30 teeth on the shaft, 12teeth on the motor,

52.5mm "x" prop gave max 21.6mph, max spike 68.9amps (check what your esc is capable of), motor was water cooled with a coil, you cant do that with an outrunner like the t600, I think if we get you over 20mph you will be well chuffed! thats fast for these big heavy old boats! motor was getting very warm, but ok, we found that when you stop running an outrunner, and the cooling slots no longer do anything on the can, the latent heat builds up quickly, if the mount is cooled it will dramatically help as heat is the ememy!, a simple thing to help, run the boat slow before you stop to get rid of this heat build up as the water cooling will still be working.

compare this to the align 600 I used, 800kv, same ratio, same prop, speed is now a miserable 12.08mph <:(, so now we can change the ratio, as the lower kv motor has more torque (grunt) and lower revs, best ratio was 1.25:1, same prop gave up 21.52mph, 71 amps, but very cool, and longer run time. I tried 1:1, very fast, 25mph, but very hot, 1.14:1 was good, 24mph, but still very hot and short run times, and some very high amp readings :}, so gave up some speed for better run times

I bough a real nice 3 blade cleaver prop, cost a fortune!! :embarrassed: and didnt really do anything any better, it was probably too big as the boat suffered from some scary torque roll

hope that helps, boat is very difficult to get at so will send measurements when I get it out later, hope that helps, Paul :-))

olly4950

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #33 on: June 10, 2012, 08:21:34 pm »

Paul,
Many thanks for all your help and advice.
My T 600 is watercooled via a mount that I made,  I also fitted a waterpump and a water tank so that when
I had finished sailing I could switch this on and cool her down independently.
My shaft exits approximately 16.5" to the rear of hull.
Regards
Alan

red181

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #34 on: June 11, 2012, 10:20:52 pm »

I also had tought about pumping water when I had finished running, rather than dragging a water tank around on the boat all the time (is that what you meant?) can you not drop the water pickup into the lake and use that? To save weight, I have an old fuel pump system from an old rc ic helicoper to pump the water, but since fitting the water cooled mount like yours a short run at slow speed seems to be all it needs to cool it off, forgot to measure the boat, will do it now, back in a few mins :embarrassed: 

I meant to apologise for constantly jumping on this thread, its exactly what I went through so symapthise with your frustrations,  so am willing to offer as much help as I can, if you are bored of me just say so! :}

olly4950

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #35 on: June 11, 2012, 10:44:51 pm »

Paul,
I value your advice and help and look forward to what you have to say.
About a couple of years ago I fitted the propshaft because the original had seized, so want to make sure I get it right this time.

I have 11 odd boats and this one takes me back to my teens so she is special to me.
She doesnt look pretty but when on water she looks impresive because of her size.

I also have air going through the hull, cut the bulheads out and put in ali screens front and back. Picture attached.
I would like to come and visit you at your club and have a chat about all model boay matters one day.

I measured my shaft tonight and it is approx 18"
Looking to get a new one tomorrow and thinking maybe to put the motor in line this time.

red181

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #36 on: June 12, 2012, 10:22:17 pm »

Measurements at last!!

tip of propshaft (without prop) is 11.5cm to end of hull
centre of rudder shaft to end of hull 5cm
end of rudder blade to end of hull 2.4cm

my shaft is 13 inches, but I have "spare" at motor end for the shaft support, I was having trouble with the shaft whipping and bending, the end support sorted this, its an m5 shaft, more durable than m4, but there is less choice with props, I would stick with your gearbox as it will give far more choice with setup, direct drive limits what you can do, I speak with experience on this! I am sure you are close to achieving what you want so stick with it.

Be careful about the venting on the front cabin window, when you start getting some more speed, particularly in rougher water (as they are such good fun bouncing around) you will get water over the front deck, possibly into the cabin.

A couple of guys in my club have the 3 foot glassfibre hull Huntsman 31, they have had great success with a direct drive brushless system that all up costs £50! :} really cost effective, but their boats are much lighter than ours. Have a look at www.sthelensmodelboatclub.co.uk I am sure there are a couple of videos on there.

here is what 23mph is like from the boat!

www.youtube.com/watch?v=z1R4XXeUWC8

Anytime you are up this way let me know, we can comapre notes!

olly4950

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #37 on: June 13, 2012, 08:47:58 pm »

Hi Paul
Took her out today,  mixed results.
Within the first 30 secs boat looked good but then due to the pool being infested with weed she slowed down considerable.
Cleaned it off same again but this time battery alarm was sounding.  So decided it was not wise to try again.
Will have to wait till weed is removed in some weeks time.
In another thread you mentioned a device that records your amps volts etc could you tell me what this is please.
One other thing is I sailed my Surfury today but she wants to cavity on an x50 should I go up or down in props to stop this happening?
Regards
Alan

olly4950

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #38 on: June 14, 2012, 01:31:55 pm »

Paul
Many thanks for the dimensions could I ask one more from you please and that is the of the exit of the propshaft to the rest of the boats.
I fear mine might be quite alot forward than yours.
Regards Alan

red181

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #39 on: June 19, 2012, 10:18:57 pm »

finally! sorry for wait, its difficult to get to as the boat is stored away at present, at the longest point, where the shaft exits under the hull to the tip where the prop thread starts, 85mm

olly4950

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #40 on: July 17, 2012, 03:08:06 pm »

Ok,  update on Fairey Huntsman.
Taken gearbox and shaft out,  filed
prop shafts aperture, unable to file any more, so
the angle dimensions is 65mm from hull
to centre of shaft. I'm happy with this because
it was approx 80mm before.
New motor will be on direct drive.
Hope to start fitting new shaft in next couple of days fter I get rid of this b@@@dy cold.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up

Page created in 0.096 seconds with 22 queries.