Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Sea Queen motors  (Read 4370 times)

Stavros

Sea Queen motors
« on: May 08, 2006, 12:00:53 am »

Ye sit's me again I ahve fitted a MFA 800 motor into my Sea Queen coupled up to a 55mm  2 blade prop,initially I had fitted a 60mm brass 3 bladed prop but the boat seemed slow.What I am getting at is what motor should I fit,shouls I go for the 850 or a different make,the boat's speed was allright I suppose but it will not  seem to come up on the plane,the actual running time is v good having got over 4+hours on 2x12v 7amp gelly cell batts,I can't complain on that!!!.The only thing that I can comment was that the motor did not get really hot,warm I would have said,so come on laads what prop and motor combo do you reccomend cheers Stavros

BobF

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Sea Queen motors
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2006, 10:37:45 am »

Hi Stavros,
The only advice I can give you would be to remove at least one of the two Gel Cells.
They will give you approx 12 LBS of ballast, and your trying to get a very large boat on the plane.
As you say you got four hours running time why not go for shorter run times with a lot less ballast.
Regards Bob

ukengineman

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2006, 04:22:49 pm »

Mike who runs the Vintage Model Workshop group has a number of Sea Queens which go well. He uses an MFA 850 motor, Electronize 30 Amp ESC and 12V 7Ah gel cell in them. The props he uses are 2 blade plastic around 50mm. Having two 12V 7Ah gel cells would definitely add unwanted ballast. You might be interested in the VMW group as the idea is to share ideas, knowledge etc relating to the old Aerokits and similar boats and membership is free. Mike's contact number is 020 8542 3100
Alan

Shipmate60

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
  • You bark - I will bite!!!
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2006, 05:41:58 pm »

I must agree, remove one of the batteries.
And go for the 850

Bob
Officially a GOG.

Stavros

« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2006, 11:29:28 pm »

Thanks for the advice,will go for the 850 but batts will have to stay due to going for a sun walk every week with the local boat group we usually walk around a mile up the lake with the boats so got to have the range,bit embarasing being towed back
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.094 seconds with 21 queries.