Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Futaba Plugs obsolescent?  (Read 3202 times)

BarryM

• Full Mayhemer
Futaba Plugs obsolescent?
« on: April 12, 2007, 08:32:01 am »

According to the Maplins website, Futaba-type plugs/sockets (Maplins ref.GZ93b & gz94c) are going out of use. Does anyone have any info on this?

Barry M

Doc

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Futaba Plugs obsolescent?
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2007, 12:09:39 pm »

Barry,
Being that there are several type of Futaba' plugs/sockets, I wouldn't doubt that at least the oldest of them are going, or are, obsolete.  As for all of them being obsolete?  I really doubt that, just too many of them around, you know?  (And how the @#$$ do you get any group to agree on a 'standard'?)
When the designers say things will change, I tend to agree (at least go along with them).  When the retailer says things will change, I tend to think they just don't want to go to the trouble of stocking it.  That's based on retailers in the USA, not the UK, so there's lots of 'room' for error in that prediction (I'm safe).
 - 'Doc

Daryl

« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2007, 12:33:19 pm »

Maplins supplier is not stocking them, and it seems thay can't be bothered to find another one.

I have spoken to two suppliers I use, ( I am a buyer for an electronics company) and after they finished laughing they said there is numerious manufacturers of that type of plug and socket, and none of them has given any indication they are going obsolete. Ithink you will find them in the model shops for quite some time.

Daryl

BarryM

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2007, 01:17:58 pm »

Thanks Gents - Maplins speak with forked tongue. I have just ordered a supply of plugs and wired plugs from www.component-shop.co.uk at about 25% of the cost that Maplin is trying to extort. Someone will always fill a gap.  :)

Barry M

barriew

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2007, 01:24:59 pm »

Things like Futaba plugs are too small for Maplins to bother with these days. They only seem interested in 'gadgets'

Barrie

BarryM

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2007, 02:07:53 pm »

Barrie,

Maybe there is a trend that way but they are still a good one-stop shop for small bits and pieces. On the other hand I recently attempted to purchase some 150 ohm resistors. When I pointed out that what they were trying to give me was 100 Megohms, they checked and then confessed that the 150ohms pigeonhole was full of 100megohm resistors. None of the four assistants could identify a resistor as they were "all IT people"!! "The electrician only comes in twice a week and will have to sort the resistor stock out." I suggested that they should get hold of a resistor colour chart and do the job themselves - at least that way they would learn how to identify a resistor in future. I doubt if they took up my suggestion but if they cannot get the basics right....

Barry M

Tug

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2007, 03:57:52 pm »

"   

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Things like Futaba plugs are too small for Maplins to bother with these days. They only seem interested in 'gadgets'"

Is this not the way Tandy [radio shack] went?  8)
Junk is something you've kept for years and throw away three
 weeks before you need it.

barriew

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2007, 05:55:47 pm »

Barrie,

None of the four assistants could identify a resistor as they were "all IT people"!! "
Barry M

Its as bad online. I ordered a relay the other day - the system said they had one in stock. When my order came no relay. It was marked " no longer stocked by Maplin"! Even worse, they had charged my card before they tried to pull the stock, so now I have a credit note for £1.91 - it will cost me £2.99 for carriage >:(

On the other hand, a small order to Bitsbox produced all I asked for, and it was posted on the Saturday before Easter - ordered on Thursday evening. The relays were cheaper too!

Barrie

FullLeatherJacket

« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2007, 06:55:05 pm »

Is this not the way Tandy [radio shack] went?  8)

I think you're right - and Ripmax is going that way, too. Bright shiny toys for dim-witted people. Maplins is handy for me in that there are two stores within 2 miles of here, but I don't understand why they have twelve shopfloor staff when they only ever open one checkout. Customers will vote with their feet eventually.

I'm already a happy customer of The Component Shop but I haven't heard of Bitsbox. I think a bit of Googling is called for.

gribeauval

• Full Mayhemer
  • Tidy Bench -Tidy Mind, Messy Bench - BUSY!!
« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2007, 07:07:02 pm »

Link to bitsbox  8)

True Lifeboat Nutter!!

Tug

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2007, 07:52:37 pm »

Thanks for the link,

It would seem that Proops bros.  are on the way out as well, judging by the stock-list.

I first 'shopped' there 55 years ago Ahhhh!
Junk is something you've kept for years and throw away three
 weeks before you need it.

John - ModelPower

• Full Mayhemer
  • Rechargeable Batteries for RC Models
    • ModelPower.co.uk Rechargeable Batteries & Chargers
« Reply #11 on: April 12, 2007, 07:55:19 pm »

Hi
  We at Modelpower.co.uk would be pleased to supply your Futaba plug & Sockets have a look at our web site.
John - ModelPower.co.uk
Rechargable batteries for RC Models
http://store.modelpower.co.uk

barriew

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #12 on: April 13, 2007, 09:27:50 am »

I'm already a happy customer of The Component Shop but I haven't heard of Bitsbox. I think a bit of Googling is called for.

Not a big range, but good prices and quick, reasonable delivery. Here's another one - http://www.fastcomponents.co.uk/index.php

Barrie
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.115 seconds with 22 queries.