Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: 75mah lipo charging  (Read 2866 times)

Mad_Mike

• Full Mayhemer
  • Lincolnshire
75mah lipo charging
« on: May 19, 2012, 11:01:17 am »

I have salvaged from some toy indoor helicopters 2 75mah single cell lipos, at least i think there lipo anyway, might be life. Anyway these things are tiny about the size of a 5 pence peice.
I currently have a turnigy 2s/3s balance charger very basic which does the job for most of my larger batteries but it has an out put of 800ma and cant be changed. Is there a way i can make up a lead which will charge both cells from the 2s port on the charger but have some circuitry in the lead to reduce the current output?

thanks

Tug-Kenny RIP

• Full Mayhemer
Re: 75mah lipo charging
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2012, 11:07:26 am »

You can reduce the charging current by fitting a resistor in the positive feed to the battery.

What value I wouldn't know. Perhaps there are more knowledgeable people here ?  Also size to accommodate the amps drawn.

ken

Despite the high cost of living   .......... It remains popular

Mad_Mike

• Full Mayhemer
  • Lincolnshire
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2012, 11:24:21 am »

i thought so but from what i gather that a resitor drops the voltage too. Im not to sharp on electronics, on the other hand i dont want to spend 25 quid on a balance charger when the one i got does the job for the other ones.

Tug-Kenny RIP

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2012, 11:37:24 am »

I might add that Lipo charging is unknown to me, but I understand it's a touchy business all around. 

It would be best to get professional advice, that's why I've moved this to the Electrics department

ken
Despite the high cost of living   .......... It remains popular

Mad_Mike

• Full Mayhemer
  • Lincolnshire
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2012, 12:21:54 pm »

Ive found this:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/150806941202?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2648

from what i gather it has or charge protection, lvc and a circuit breaker combined. I just need to find out how to charge it, maybe a mobile phone charger?

Tug Fanatic

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2012, 02:37:47 pm »

The ebay board that you have linked prevents over charging by current limiting at 5 amps. This is way way more than a 75mah lipo will take. The charging rate has improved steadily over the last few years but I am guessing that as these came out of a model helicopter they were designed to charge in 15 minutes which gives a maximum charge of 300mah. This likely to be a higher rate than is desirable for long life.

There are so many aircraft models that come with 75mah cells that chargers are really cheap - my Parkzone examples are 70mah but that makes no real difference. Model airshows have boxes of them at £1. They take 4AA cells (I use rechargeables which I have anyway) and give you 20 or so charges. I take 2 chargers, half a dozen batteries & a couple of planes & can fly continuously if I wish. It is good practice to let a LiPo rest before recharging - particularly if it has got warm. At this high charging rate the batteries have a restricted life so are you sure that your are worth saving when new ones with the correct plugs etc are so cheap?

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbycity/store/__11893__Turnigy_nano_tech_160mah_1S_25_40C_Lipo_Pack_Kyosho_E_flite_Parkzone_Etc_.html

Your charger is designed for 2S & won't get down anywhere near 300mah. I simply wouldn't go there. LiPo chargers are intelligent & I would be concerned about whether they would remain that way if you messed around with them. If you overcharge a LiPo, or let it go completely flat, you have destroyed it. - and if overcharged it might catch fire.

Mad_Mike

• Full Mayhemer
  • Lincolnshire
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2012, 03:08:17 pm »

thanks very much for the help. do you mean these things?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/261005688195?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2648

i was looking into buying a small usb charger circuit from the US it was going to cost me 20 quid to get it here.

i was also looking at another battery with a pcm also built in:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/200754560608?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2648

the 75mah battery that i have seems to have a little cicuit board on it and i think that might be a pcm too.

what connectors do i need to plug these batteries into the charger?

Tug Fanatic

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2012, 03:26:06 pm »

Yes those are the chargers.

If you look at the battery that I linked it has a connector on the end which pushed into the slot that you can see on the front of the charger.

Here you go with the separate plugs:
http://www.indoorflyer.co.uk/miniumparkzone-battery-plugwire-3pk-583-p.asp

I have no experience of the type of battery that you link to but be careful of discharge & charging rates. They can be as low as 1c.  
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.102 seconds with 22 queries.